Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just logged on to forum while eating lunch and dropped my fork on ground reading this! I am absolutely stunned to hear this news as he and I were just texting each other a few days ago! He just rode his bicycle to FL, yes bicycle!

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/racer-dane-westby-rip/

Dane was one of the most low key and approachable guys you could ever meet in the AMA paddocks and a rising star to say the least! He was just testing out the new R1 and was telling me how incredible it was, how much he loved it, and looked forward to racing it.
Still have all his texts in my damn cell phone too! I am speechless and the world will be a much more lonely place without Dane in it!

May God hold you in the palm of his hands my friend. You will be VERY missed!

Here is the article about the bike ride I just spoke about.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/westby-riding-bicycle-from-oklahoma-to-daytona/

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
WOW sad news. Kinda speechless actually. Dane was a great guy, I too have talked to him in the paddock on numerous occasions. I hope at least he went out having a good time on his bike like Tommy Aquino not that long ago. Sad stuff. :(

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funeral Procession & History on Dane

Members-

For anyone interested who may be within the local area and wish to participate. Just thought I would pass this on despite the lack of replies. :(

Funeral For Dane Westby
Friday, March 27
at 3:00pm in CDT
2 days from now · 61°F / 44°F Partly Cloudy

Fitzgerald Southwood Colonial Chapel
3612 E 91st St, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74137

https://www.facebook.com/events/659563110836959/

Also, thought it would be nice for those who didnt know of him to see & hear some stuff on him. As I stated earlier, he was sincerely so humble, low key, easy to talk with about absolutely anything, and not in any way a flashy, loud mouthed and pompous type of racer often found in some circles - obviously this was only AMA racing and not the big lights bright city stuff too! I am sure the turnout will be large and many legendary racing figures will be in attendance.

Racer Dane Westby, R.I.P. (Updated Yet Again With Where To Send Condolences)

Video: Westby Talks About The 2014 Season Finale At NJMP And His Hopes For 2015

Remembering Racer Dane Westby (R.I.P.) With A Feature From The April 2011 Edition Of Roadracing World Magazine

Funeral Services Set For Racer Dane Westby In Tulsa, Oklahoma (Updated)

Stay safe all.

Gunny out....................

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I didn't know him but the guy I work for raced against him in AMA and chatted with him often. Very sad news indeed.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yes, sad day indeed :(

I'm curious what actually happened...all I heard is he hit a light pole in Tulsa while riding a street bike, but how does a professional motorcycle racer simply hit a light pole like that??

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
True that Rubbish!

Hence why I am trying to find some details, but they are tight lipped right now. It just HAS to be something involving another vehicle or something that would cause him to brake and swerve so violently ya know? Sucks not knowing these things but in time all will come out I am sure- unless its another unreal conspiracy issue like.............:confused:

When I did a "Search" here before posting my thread on Dane, I also saw a thread Rubbish made about racing etc. Within it 219R posted up a bunch of racers, their times and positions which I pasted below since our guy Dane was always right there! (Verbatim info below)

Subway SuperBike Doubleheader
Daytona SportBike Practice 1 - Daytona SportBike
May 30, 2014
Road America
Elkhart Lake, WI

Pos No. Rider(s) Team Bike Interval Gap Best Lap Laps

1) 8 Garrett Gerloff Yamaha Extended Service/Monster Energy/Graves/Yamaha Yamaha YZF-R6 FASTEST FASTEST 2:19.
2) 00 Dane Westby Yamalube Westby Racing Yamaha YZF-R6 0.246
3) 32 Jake Gagne RoadRace Factory/Red Bull Yamaha YZF-R6 0.384
4) 40 Jason DiSalvo Castrol/Triumph/Sportbike Triumph Daytona 675 1.173

AND

BTW, check the times on the 600s

Pos No. Rider(s) Team Bike Interval Gap Best Lap Laps

1) 32 Jake Gagne Factory/Red Bull Yamaha YZF-R6 FASTEST FASTEST 2:18.
2) 8 Garrett Gerloff Yamaha Extended Service/Monster Energy/Graves/Yamaha Yamaha YZF-R6 0.597
3) 00 Dane Westby Yamalube Westby Racing Yamaha YZF-R6 0.994
4) 40 Jason DiSalvo Castrol/Triumph/Sportbike Triumph Daytona 675 1.430
5) 50 Bobby Fong Latus Motors/Castrol/Triumph Daytona 675 2.193

The dude was just amazing to watch, especially on the brakes going into any turn one, he would pass riders sideways at last min down there. Scott Russell is the one who named him "Wolverine" and I have yet to hear back from Scott after texting him my condolences on one of his VERY good friends! I know he is hurting badly on this one. DAMN THIS SUCKS! :kaiaked: :kaioken:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
The article I read has a quote from his mechanic or someone in his crew that went to the scene and found skid marks. Looks as if he was trying to avoid an idiot driver pulling out in front of him...

Rest in peace Dane....

Take a few podiums on the track in the sky brother!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just spoke w Scott Russell who's on his drive out to Tulsa. Seems there will be a good showing to honor this great young man as there well should be too!

I've now lost 3 friends within 8 months and am still trying to come to grips with this!
IMHO there was much in store for Dane either this or next year. Still in denial phase. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.