Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my favorite mag in the mail yesterday and Roadracing World had some good things to say about the new 1098. The review was by Chris Ulrich who is a 'real' racer with the AMA. Not that 'others' are not real racers but what I mean to say is that he is not a magazine guy, he's a racer first who ahppens to write for his family's magazine so I generally feel his review is fair. With all that said Chris basically dogged the 999 because, in his opinion, he felt the engine was never really on-par with the Japanese equivalents and he felt it, 999, was over-priced for the performance one gets. His opinion was vastly different of the new 1098. He at first was not too happy with the suspension but once that was sorted, with little help from his technician - who was apparently pulled from a local South African dealer when Ducati had run out of folks to help, on the standard 1098 he said: 'The 1098 truly turned into a proper motorcycle once the two lines of pre-load were added to the front forks."

He also states, "While riding the 999 it seemed like I was always looking for more power, forcing me to run a lower gear in order to get the acceleration I wanted, which caused me to be in the rev limiter in most gears. But a torque increase of 10 lbs.-ft. combined with a 200-rpm higher rev ceiling of 10,700 made that problem go away on the 1098 because I could runa higher gear in most corners and still have the power to accelerate out. The power characteristics of the 1098 were an asset around Kyalami. There are four corners on the track that require use of a higher gear to get to carry descent roll speed through the middle, but the linear power delivery of the 1098 would allow me to get the gas open early in the corner, ensuring a fast exit without the risk of highsiding to the moon."

Lastly he adds, "The package Ducati has brought to the table with the 1098 is a lot more competitive with its Japanese rivals."

All-in-all I think that is a favorable review!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Motogp results disappointing so far this year

I don't think you can ignore the facts that the Ducati Marlboro team is not doing that well so far this year in Motogp racing. Presently, Stoner and Melandri are 4th and 13th in the standings. Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki are doing very well. I'm excited to see Ben Spies in the Donington race as I think he will do very well. Obviously, the bike is only part of the equation, but this year's season will be a sizzler with the likes of new comer Dani Pedrosa. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
They aren't doing too good so far in MotoGP racing right now they've had problems with the bike quite a few times this year. In World Superbike it's a different story. Even with weight restrictions that kept changing Troy Bayliss is #1 in points after wrecking in the first race at Salt Lake City and having problems in the second one.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Huh? Started as a thread about the 1098, and how it is a more competitive package than the Japanese rivals.

You do know that the moto gp bike that Stoner rides isn't a 1098?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts