Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Ducati owner,

I just picked up my 2015 Monster 821 today and I'm just floored by the power and sound; its awesome!

However, I'm also a longtime Honda owner and like to cruise around in 2nd gear. I noticed that 2nd gear on this monster is extremely rough, almost jarring. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my Monster?

Any guidance from this ownership group will help a tremendous amount. looking forward to all your responses.

Thank you ALL!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome to Ducati ownership..
Twins has lots of torque and Ducati 1st and second gear in the city will give you wheelies.
3rd and 4th is ok in the city, but once you slow down go back to 2nd and 3rd for gas..otherwise most 4th from stop will sputter and won't go at all..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Donger, I take it by your reply, that is must be normal? IF this is the case, what gear do you cruise in traffic in, What do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I barely do street riding..but, when I have to go somewhere where there is hard to find a parking, I always cruise in 3rd-4th gear on my SFS. 1st and 2nd on Ducati are just for stop light and get you going...stay around 3rd will give you enough power..4th will sputter if you're under 40mph.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Yes many people new to Ducati find them 'rough' at lower speeds. They are a different animal to more mainstream brands.

This is a function of the 90 degree V-twin engine, and the high compression. Makes them a little lumpy at low speeds.

You may get some improvement in this by tuning and different exhausts.

And you can practise just easing the clutch in partway as the speeds drop to soften the jerkiness this engine can suffer from at low speeds.

But you will get used to it. It is normal. And you will forgive it when you use the higher revs it is better at.

These bikes deliver mid-range torque like few others. Take the time for you and your Ducati to learn to love one another..

;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you Donger, I appreciate your advice. I've never felt anything like this ducati's 2nd gear, i'm coming from Honda CBR600 and Honda Valkyrie, so these are super smooth. I can just cruise around in either 2nd or 3rd in traffic, but I tried it in the ducati and thought the shaking will break something off the bike. Have you heard of any issues like this one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Pat1098, wow, i'm glad to know i'm not the only one who thinks this bike is really rough. It did not take me long to fall in love; bit of love at first sight. now that I've ridden it, i'm hooked on the power and the noise, its so NOT a Honda! I love this bike, but just wasn't sure if there was something wrong; sounds like the shaking is normal.

thanks again,

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
If you give them lots of throttle under 2,500 rpm especially in higher gears, you will shake all the bolts out as well as any fillings you have in your teeth. I find urban 'cruising' is best done @ 3,000 rpm and above.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
^LOL which brought up another point I forgot to mention: DO CHECK YOUR FAIRING BOLTS once in a while..I've had the damn exhaust shield loosened up on me after a hard trackday LOL...

·
Registered
233 Posts
2nd gear

HI
Being new to Ducati I have found low gears to be crunchy ,I have a 696 -2013 , I passed my test on a Suzuki bandit that was much smoother however my instructor was a big Ducati fan and he always had the front sprocket replaced for one with one tooth less just to smooth things out
he did this to a multistrada and his diaval , hope this helps but check with the dealer anyway
Dear Ducati owner,

I just picked up my 2015 Monster 821 today and I'm just floored by the power and sound; its awesome!

However, I'm also a longtime Honda owner and like to cruise around in 2nd gear. I noticed that 2nd gear on this monster is extremely rough, almost jarring. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my Monster?

Any guidance from this ownership group will help a tremendous amount. looking forward to all your responses.

Thank you ALL!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Try urban mode for built up traffic. Much smoother. At constant 60 klm/h im normally in 3rd or 4th to stay around 3000 - 4000 rpm.. certainly this engine is miles apart from my previous bike "street triple R" that engine would poke along beautifully right down to 5klm/h. Such a smooth engine and fueling. Must admit there are some days I miss that bike, smooth, great ergos, nothing pokes your legs, no heat radiating up, far better suspension then the 821. I do wish now I had paid the extra and purchased either the diavel or 1200s

·
Registered
184 Posts
i commute daily and find third is the only gear i stay in long for slow cruising but i feel its really more about keeping the RPMS in that 3000-5000 range for easy riding. i haven't on the other hand had any knocking that felt as bad as what you described even though i was coming from a ninja 650.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Don't worry which gear you're in. Just keep it above 4k and you should be good. I ride mostly in the city and both Urban and Touring modes are fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.