Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
943 Posts
You're going to have to study the wiring diagram to find it. You should have a fold out one in the back of your owner's manual. Get a magnifying glass while you're at it. I would assume the rpm signal to the gauge goes from the sensor to the ECU to the gauge. Friggin' ECU has it's fingers in everything.

· Registered
122 Posts
Hi Guys.

First post for me, been watching for a while.
The RPM input #26 on the wiring diag goes to the ECU.
If I was a guessing man I reckon the speed signal would go from the ECU to the Digital dash as CAN bus data. Certainly the speed signal goes to the DDA as CAN data. You might need a synthetic speed signal for your shift lights, either straight from the Engine timing pick up (but you would need a scaling factor for the number of teeth per rev) or from the coil drive wires to one of the cylinders. You would need to know the specs for the required input for your shift lights.
Clear as mud?

· Registered
106 Posts
Get one that wraps around a spark plug wire or you're going to have to dig in the wiring harness and thats always bad news. I learned from experience not to mess with the wiring harness when I was building my SV race bike.

· Registered
122 Posts
Hi RC Buggy.
The 1098 has coil on plugs arrangement, so the spark plug leads will be low tension. (There are no HT leads in this arrangement which I think is a good thing.
I presume a wrap around device is an inductive pick up designed for the high tension lead?
If so it probably won't work on a low tension lead.

· Registered
106 Posts
Well...I haven't tried it. I had no idea they were coil on plug(haven't picked mine up yet). Being COP only a small voltage goes through the primary system so you're right I doubt that would work. Being a CAN electrical system it's not something you want to mess with. I would bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. Cause if they let the smoke out of one of those premium smoke filled black boxes they will replace it.

· Registered
1 Posts
I just had a look at the 848 wiring diagram.

Unfortunately nothing is labeled.... well actually it is...
Engine 3
Engine 5
Engine 9
Engine 10
Engine 13
Really helpful whoever bothered with those labels :jerkoff:

Having had a close look, there is only one wire I would suspect to be that tacho wire.... Orange/Blue. It's on the only wire that goes only from ECU to Instrument. But that could be a single wire CAN bus signal too. It could even be something like a check engine warning light signal.

The Shift-I is perfectly fine to be connected to one of the ECU ignition outputs. No need for any adaptor, and coil on plug doesn't matter. You could pick either Green/Blue or Grey/Green at the ECU ;)

You can get the ground signal at the plug going into the instrument, Black/Yellow. Then for ignition, Red/Black at the same spot looks good.

If not sure about anything... just contact Ecliptech :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.