Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be more inclined to take the bike to work if it wasn't for the helmet hair and lack of protection in the business attire.
Wool is no good for crash protection??

LOL helmet hair is no sweat. put some gel in your backpack and hit the bathroom before getting to your desk!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
When I've had steady work, I rode every day. I use to always get up late and always show up early. In fact, the worst was when it was raining out and it took those extra few moments to put on my rain suit or cold-weather gear. Then I was just on time! LOL :D

I look at the cages sitting in traffic and wonder why people would do the same thing, every day without changing something? Either move closer to work, or get a damn motorcycle and blow through traffic. I for one can't stand wasting time sitting in traffic, I've got better things to do!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
When I've had steady work, I rode every day. I use to always get up late and always show up early. In fact, the worst was when it was raining out and it took those extra few moments to put on my rain suit or cold-weather gear. Then I was just on time! LOL :D

I look at the cages sitting in traffic and wonder why people would do the same thing, every day without changing something? Either move closer to work, or get a damn motorcycle and blow through traffic. I for one can't stand wasting time sitting in traffic, I've got better things to do!
Not everyone thinks that way though, and some people are willing to sacrifice that in order to live in some other area (better neighborhood maybe, or cheaper, or whatever the reason may be)...and of course many think bikes are the devil's machines, so they can't be riding that shit! ;)....that's ok with me though, I don't think bikes would be quite as exciting if EVERYONE had one...like in Vietnam.

Personally, I hate traffic too, and even though that's not really a problem in my city, I still bought a house even closer to work than I had been before. I timed myself at just under 6 minutes in my Jeep to get to work. I reckon I could do it in under 5 on a bike :p...but I don't have a street legal bike at the moment, and of course, I would have to break a couple of laws in the process :D

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I cycle or walk to work either 40 minutes by feet or about 5 to 10 on the bike depending on traffic lights .

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Not everyone thinks that way though, and some people are willing to sacrifice that in order to live in some other area (better neighborhood maybe, or cheaper, or whatever the reason may be).
Ohh totally agree… especially with the "evil" machines line.

My favorite job ever (company went out of business), two of my comrades dealt with upwards of two hours of traffic each direction, so upwards of 4hrs sitting in a car every day! A motorcycle would be less then half that because you can use the carpool and split lanes as well.

You can't uproot your family for a job… that's a big no-no. But it's unfathomable to spend that much time in a car every day stuck in traffic… to go maybe 40 miles? Imagine leaving home at 6am every day and returning at 8 every night. Basically spending a few hours hugging your two children and going to bed to wake up again at 5am and do it all over again.

If a motorcycle would cut that time down and cost less money to operate (fuel expense), it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
seems that big traffic jam is mostly a cali. thing. 22miles to work no sweat driving or riding.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
seems that big traffic jam is mostly a cali. thing. 22miles to work no sweat driving or riding.
It's a big city thing. I have a couple of friends who just moved to Chicago last year, and one of them takes about 45-50 minutes each morning to go 6 miles.

City that I live in has only about 230,000 people and before I bought a house, I also lived 6 miles from work. It took me about 8-9 minutes on average. Granted I'm nowhere near downtown, so there isn't much traffic around here. The people that have to drive through downtown everyday tend to sit around in traffic quite a bit, even here.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My drive is 19 miles one way to work. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to drive completely across the valley on the main artery road on the west end (Topanga). I think I will be riding close to every day when summer hits this year. I despise traffic.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
I've tried that but by the time I go back inside, change to my Ricondi jeans, get boots, pack shoes and trousers into back pack, get keys, get bike out and started, put on jacket, gloves and helmet, and then get going and do battle with the traffic... it would make more sense to just stick with the car in the first place..

to qualify that we only got legal lane filtering early this month.

Things may change.

It's been a long time since I had my 12 minute walk to work... back then it was 7 mins on the bicycle or 9 mins on the motorbike, 10 mins in the car.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Woke up 20 mins late this morning.

Ditched the cage and hopped on the mistress to avoid traffic. Got to work 5 mins early. :yo:

Anyone else do this?
If you said that you were running 20 minutes late because your misses wouldn't let you leave the house without givin her one this morning!

Would have given this whole topic a bit more cred!!:smoking:

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's unusual for me to be able to take the bike to work. For some reason I obliged to carpool with my currently lady friend every day, unless she has to be at work early. Jaffa, for what it's worth, I've been pretty close to running late because of certain favors done in the morning. You win some, you lose some.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've tried that but by the time I go back inside, change to my Ricondi jeans, get boots, pack shoes and trousers into back pack, get keys, get bike out and started, put on jacket, gloves and helmet, and then get going and do battle with the traffic... it would make more sense to just stick with the car in the first place..

to qualify that we only got legal lane filtering early this month.

Things may change.

It's been a long time since I had my 12 minute walk to work... back then it was 7 mins on the bicycle or 9 mins on the motorbike, 10 mins in the car.
I usually don't put on any gear when I go to work other than gloves, helmet and jacket. I make sure my shoelaces are tucked in my shoes but that's usually it.

As soon as I get out of the shower I go to the garage and start the bike up, get dressed and I'm off.

I wish I was closer to my job. I've been commuting about 20 miles one way for the past 5-6 years now and it's started to get really irritating. If I was only 12 mins walking distance, I'd be walking to work all the time.

If you said that you were running 20 minutes late because your misses wouldn't let you leave the house without givin her one this morning!

Would have given this whole topic a bit more cred!!:smoking:
lol You have no idea the amount of times I've had to actually call out because of that. My jobs is strange like that; almost feels like they'd rather you just call out for the whole day than come into work 30 mins late.

It's unusual for me to be able to take the bike to work. For some reason I obliged to carpool with my currently lady friend every day, unless she has to be at work early. Jaffa, for what it's worth, I've been pretty close to running late because of certain favors done in the morning. You win some, you lose some.
Well since you're carpooling, she could just "take her meal to go" :naughty:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I usually don't put on any gear when I go to work other than gloves, helmet and jacket. I make sure my shoelaces are tucked in my shoes but that's usually it.
Ouch… no boots eh? I tried that once and couldn't get the damn thing into gear without it hurting, so I gave up went home and put my boots on. :)

I always carry a backpack with shoes. So it's very easy to change when I get to work. I've also done many full-days worth of work wearing motorcycle boots under my jeans. :)

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Oh, it's an Atlanta thing, too. I had a dentist appointment not long ago...his office is about 40 miles door to door. It took me just under 3 hours to get there in Northside Perimeter traffic. It's the stuff of legends.

I love just walking across the hall to go to work now. :D

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Oh, it's an Atlanta thing, too. I had a dentist appointment not long ago...his office is about 40 miles door to door. It took me just under 3 hours to get there in Northside Perimeter traffic. It's the stuff of legends.

I love just walking across the hall to go to work now. :D
You need to find a new dentist. Unless he/she is doing the work for free, no dentist is worth that much commuting time! :D

I'm actually looking for a dentist now (so far I've been going to the College of Dentistry at the University in town) and I'm looking on like a 1-2 mile radius of my house only :D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You need to find a new dentist. Unless he/she is doing the work for free, no dentist is worth that much commuting time! :D

I'm actually looking for a dentist now (so far I've been going to the College of Dentistry at the University in town) and I'm looking on like a 1-2 mile radius of my house only :D

Don't get me started on the dentists. I just went to one who was drill happy and wanted to drill every tooth. Ridiculous. I'm in a process of finding a new dentist, although, don't forget to floss mate

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.