Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their 1098 slip out of gear?

I was riding my 1098s pretty hard in first gear when I noticed that the bike either slipped out of gear or I bumped it in neutral. I chalked it up to the bike being new to me as I've only ridden it a few hundred miles. Then again today, while riding in second gear under hard acceleration, the same thing happened.

This is my first liter bike and my first twin. I know they don't have a 17k rpm range like most 600cc Japanese bikes, but could I be running out of gear...perhaps causing the engine to break free of the gear for a moment or is it more likely I'm doing something wrong?

I

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Jumping out of gear at WOT was a problem for Ducatis in the past; particularly the old bevel series.

These models don't usually suffer from this. But you may be sure that letting it continue to happen will cause it to get worse.

It may be something you are doing with your feet which could be alleviated by adjusting the lever position and/or adapting your riding.

It may also be worth getting the gearchange centring adjustment checked (inside the left side engine cover) if it doesn't resolve.

Give yourself a little longer to accustomise to the very-different machine before you get too worried. Learn to use the mid-range torque rather than always using peak revs as you would have on IL4s.

It won't feel like it, but you might be going faster this way than you think.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
You probably bumped it into neutral. The neutral gate is wide on these bikes, its very easy to have it fall into neutral from 1st to 2nd, especially with standard shift when its DOWN to go up gears. I've always used reverse shift which is UP to go into the next gear, which actually makes these problems disappear. Takes some adjustment, but these bikes are designed for that kind of shifting from the factory without a linkage assembly, simply a direct shift lever. Its one of the "benefits" of owning a Ducati twin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@pat1098 - you're probably right. I should probably shift sooner. I'll see if it happens again. I am probably going faster than I think too, I'm usually not staring at the dash nude hard acceleration. The bike has more power than my 600 so it's likely getting to the end of the gear faster.

@tye1138 - what do you mean? Direct shift lever? Are you suggesting you can shift into second without the clutch lever? I also have a hard time getting it to engage in neutral at a stop light. Is that normal?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
what do you mean? Direct shift lever? Are you suggesting you can shift into second without the clutch lever? I also have a hard time getting it to engage in neutral at a stop light. Is that normal?
Right now you've got a lever, that hooks to a linking shaft which has another lever on the shifter shaft. Its an overly complex design to generate a "standard" shift patter (one down, 5 up)

But Ducati designed the bikes specifically for the use of what's referred to as a "direct shift lever" which gives you a different shift pattern called "reverse shift" or "GP shift". Its what most race bikes use because it allows the rider to upshift by pushing down and down shift by pulling up.

So this way, the shift pattern would be one up and 5 down. It allows shifting to be much smoother because there is no linkage getting in the way. Your foot has a much easier time pushing down on something then pulling up.

In terms the bike getting into neutral, that could just be a lever adjustment. If your clutch lever is very close to the bar when not pulled in, then you should adjust it outwards a bit and try again. It may simply not be disengaging the clutch completely at a stop. Its a known issue with these bikes hydraulic systems, the slave cylinder piston seals can't take the heat of the spinning clutch shaft, so they fail. When they do, they let a bit of moisture in and that causes the clutch to not disengage all the way until its fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts