Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my scenario. I own a 09 duc 848.
Got hit while at a cookout. Don't know who did it came back to the bike and it was on the ground.

Called the insurance have claim and I have two options.

1) If I go the the repair all the parts that are damage are get replaced expect the fairings. I would have to take a betterment of getting them repainted and not replaced.

Benefits: get to keep the bike i love. I can upgrade the parts everything would be upgraded aftermarket. Termis and new paint scheme, new mirror ect.

2) Don't accepted the repaint then it would be considered totaled out by my insurance due to the cost of complete repair vs value of bike

Benefit: Bike is paid off and a little extra cash left over. Not a lot but may be able to get a new year with upgrades on a new loan.

Main question:

Do I get to keep the bike if it's totaled out or do the insurance company keep it since it will be paid off?

If I get to keep it, can I get a salvage title?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If they total it, you will be given the option to buy it back.

You will then have it on a Salvage title. In Pa, you will have to prove the vehicle is safe for the road (a vehicle inspection), and that it meets the standards the manufacturer built it to. Once you get that inspection, you will be given a rebuilt title.

Have the insurance company repair it, then buy used parts to return it to OEM if you like.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they total it, you will be given the option to buy it back.

You will then have it on a Salvage title. In Pa, you will have to prove the vehicle is safe for the road (a vehicle inspection), and that it meets the standards the manufacturer built it to. Once you get that inspection, you will be given a rebuilt title.

Have the insurance company repair it, then buy used parts to return it to OEM if you like.

See above comment.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes. I would imagine it to be a fraction of what the check will be that they cut you.

For instance, if they total and give you $7000 for it, your buy back might be $3000
I just pulled these numbers directly out of my ass, but you get the idea.

The paperwork will be a bitch. IMO, let them fix it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Salvage title

Usually you get a good deal out of getting it salvage. They'll sell it back to you at a fraction of the cost. Typically this works out to 35-40% of blue book. So you get a check for about 60% of the value. Then you can paint the parts, or buy them on ebay used, get you bike back with some money to spare.

Paperwork is "work" but not a huge deal. Remember, you still have the bike to sell afterwards. With a salvage title, you'll get half of what blue book says roughly.

Or you don't take the bike back and use the check to buy a replacement bike. That's a personal choice, sometime people want to change bikes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Sort of depends what you want to do with it and the totaled value vs the buy back value. For example, if this happened to me, and they were to give me say $10k (just an example), or the option to buy it back in which case I'd get like $7k but I get to keep the bike with a salvage title, I would pick option 2, and use some of that money to turn it into a track bike. At that point, it doesn't matter what the title is because it's a track bike so I wouldn't care. However, if you want to have another immaculate street bike and you plan on selling it eventually, that might not be the best option. In that case, I would probably take the total sum, pay it off and then buy an 899 or 1199....or whatever bike you want.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went down on an ST3 I owned a few years ago. Paid $5500 for the bike. I got a local independent Ducati shop to do the estimate, new Ducati parts all the way. Insurance company gave me the choice, total or write me a check for $6800, Blue Book on the bike...
I took the check, bought a beautiful ST4s ABS for $6400 and sold the ST3 for $3000, as is.
Will your insurance company write you the check? They should, you are the one paying them, not a shop.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Insurance had to total it. Cost if repair vs KBB. I have no choice but to by it back salvage. Or let it go and buy a new bike on a new loan. My loan vs value is on 1000 difference. So I'm just buy it back @ 3200. That way I can have a bike without any loan. All my damage was just cosmetic anyway. I basically get the bike for 3200 instead of the almost 10000 I would have eventually had to pay for it.

I'm currently looking for a radiator for 2009 848. (None EVO)

Will this one work?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201036839959

I need a right side OEM exhaust can

Right fairing (pearl color)

Also a rear break foot lever.

Lastly I am really grateful to all on this forum. I may not post a lot but the information on here has been extremely helpful in so many ways. The ducati brother hood is by far the best in the world.

Ride free Ride fast Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Update: Insurance had to total it. Cost if repair vs KBB. I have no choice but to by it back salvage. Or let it go and buy a new bike on a new loan. My loan vs value is on 1000 difference. So I'm just buy it back @ 3200. That way I can have a bike without any loan. All my damage was just cosmetic anyway. I basically get the bike for 3200 instead of the almost 10000 I would have eventually had to pay for it.

I'm currently looking for a radiator for 2009 848. (None EVO)

Will this one work?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201036839959

I need a right side OEM exhaust can

Right fairing (pearl color)

Also a rear break foot lever.

Lastly I am really grateful to all on this forum. I may not post a lot but the information on here has been extremely helpful in so many ways. The ducati brother hood is by far the best in the world.

Ride free Ride fast Ride safe!

I got you on the rear brake pedal

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry to hear. Its probably for the best though. I would use the opportunity to make a wicked track bike, then use the leftover for deposit towards a 1199 for the street.

Smaller, nimble, more readily available replacement parts for an 848 track bike...

gorgeous big beast for the street..

hope it works out what ever you do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts