Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a newsletter from Mazda Raceway. Contained within it was a (futile) plea for residents of Monterey to pressure their County Supervisors to vote against a proposed sale of Laguna's track operations to ISC. ISC is International Speedway Corp., a for-profit organization based in Daytona that owns and operates most of NASCAR's tracks.

ISC has apparently been negotiating with the Supervisors behind closed doors to buy operating rights since Jan. 2014. Since it's opening in 1957, Laguna Seca has been run by SCRAMP, a non-profit group comprised mainly of unpaid volunteers who donated most of their profits to local charities.

All of that will change now, and not for the better. Expect ticket, camping, parking, and concession prices to increase dramatically. Eventually the crowds will thin out, but that will actually help the bottom line. If they can extract more $ from fewer fans, their expenses go down and their profitability goes up. Look at NASCAR today for their business model. Have you noticed all of the empty seats lately? Have you read or heard anything indicating that they are concerned?

BTW, ISC is basically the same group that bought AMA Pro Roadracing from the AMA and ran it into the ground.

What I will miss most is the atmosphere surrounding the races at Laguna Seca. Instead of volunteers who are passionate about the sport and generally friendly and helpful, expect their replacements to be something far different. It may actually be run more effeciently, but not better. In the end, it will just be easier to watch it on TV.

ISC, FIM, Dorna, Youthstream, F1, all same-same. Corrupt, incestious, greedy bastards. Thank God we still have the Isle Of Man.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes they ran the Superbike Series into the ground.................... As in Nascar and F1, Bernie Eclestone has said in an interview that he really does not care how many spectators come to the races. It is all about the television coverage. They do not care that the track owners are dependent on spectators to stay in business.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I honestly don't care. I hope it gets as bad as it can for those whiny piece of shit homeowners who continue to complain about the noise of the GP and motorcycle track days. Welcome to unrestricted 800hp V8's mother fuckers!!!!

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
my understanding has been that scramp pretty much never spent any money on that track, Kenny Roberts brought 500 GP to the track in the early 90's with money out of his pocket, they stopped racing after King Kenny quit paying. Then RedBull and Yamaha put up the money to improve the track to bring Moto GP there. That's the stories I have heard anyway. ISC has Deep pockets, may not be bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
According to their newsletter, SCRAMP has spent in excess of $50 million in improvements at Laguna Seca, and they donate approximately $250K annually to local charities. Call me a skeptic, but I doubt that ISC will match those numbers.

The changes won't happen overnight, but gradually profit will replace passion. I've been going to Laguna Seca for the MC races nearly every year since 1991. The atmosphere surrounding this race was always like that of an International carnival, and the (local) people running it seemed to exercise both courtesy and common sense. Ultimately, this is what will change. Employees who are there only to collect a paycheck will lack both, and "how can I help you?" will become "you can't do that", and "rules are rules". The effect will be chilling.

Neither ISC nor the County Supervisors care however, just as long as the money is good. If and when they run this into the ground, they won't care about that either. Not as long as they "get theirs". In the meantime, it should be interesting to see how the FIM and ISC get along. Ultimately, ISC will hold the high cards as they can, and will, run events without FIM sanction, but the FIM won't be able to run races at Laguna Seca without ISC approval. In fact, ISC may be more interested in running a NASCAR race there than ANY kind of a MC race. Either way, we (the fans) will suffer.

This is like watching a B western movie from the 50's. The cowboy on top of the hill watching the damsel in distress being tied to the tracks by the bad guy, and not being able to stop the train. In the movies, the cowboy always found a way to prevail. In this reality, the smart money is on the train.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Look at today's Indy attendance (8-9-15) - empty seats and grassy hills empty with spectators. Never see that over seas and we'll never see more here.
It's a Nascar nation unfortunately.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was at the Daytona Race the year Disalvo, I believe, won on the 848. It was amazing to see how there were more people in the parking lots, and out on the street, than there were inside the Speedway watching the race. I was just downright amazed....

It's the same as when there are 100s of thousands roaming the streets of Indi the nights before the GP race, yet there is practically no one at the track watching qualifying or the race itself.

I've met so many people who visit the U.S. to watch races or have met people in Europe at other races and they all have the same question. WTF is up with US spectatorship? I don't have an answer....

·
Registered
333 Posts
That 250K figure for Brno is a 3 day figure, not a race day figure. 67K at Indy this year is respectable; Indy was overall 8th out of the 18 rounds last year in attendance. That's not horrible; more spectators than some more famous rounds, such as Assen, Mugello and Phillip Island. It's not as bad as it seems here, but until someone does something to promote the sport (Dorna) then not much is going to change.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey ghost, there were 135K people at Mugello during race day.
2014 3-day attendance can be seen here:

2014 MotoGP attendance

By Dorna's own numbers from last year 111,000 attended Mugello in 2014. Maybe this year was different, but I have doubts that 20k more people attended race day this year than attended the entire weekend last year.

In any case, for last year, Indy was 8th in attendance.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I was at Indi last year and Mugello this year. Indi was very much a ghost town compared to Mugello. The 135K count on race day in Mugello is accurate. I was also in Indi back in 2008 for the inaugural race weekend and that was by far the most people I've seen at a US GP to date. Still didn't top Mugello.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was at Indi last year and Mugello this year. Indi was very much a ghost town compared to Mugello. The 135K count on race day in Mugello is accurate. I was also in Indi back in 2008 for the inaugural race weekend and that was by far the most people I've seen at a US GP to date. Still didn't top Mugello.
Well, Dorna says different, at least for last year. You could have 135k at Indy and it would still look like a ghost town. You have 250K seats and you still have the infield to go.

My point is, the Indy race is one of the more attended races on the calendar. Whether or not it is more/less than Mugello is immaterial.

I'm not sure of your point. Other than to say "hey I've been to Mugello."

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I still don't get where those numbers come from. They said the attendance at Indy on race day was just under 70k, yet for the entire weekend it was almost double that?? Who the hell are these people that are going to the practice sessions and qualifying but NOT for the races?? Makes no sense...unless they count people double or triple because most people go all 3 days. But it's the same people going through the gates more than once, not the amount of people they claim to have. So I'm betting the total number of people is pretty much whatever they say it is on Sundays when they show that during the warm-up lap of the broadcasts.

On a side note, regarding that link ghost posted....wtf is Qatar still doing on the calendar?? Jesus, we get that crowd at a women's college basketball game around here! 17k (over the whole weekend, so actually less) is pretty pathetic. Replace that with a different track, there are so many options...that is if they really want attendance to go up.

Reactions: NoTec and 219R

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
How about a UTennessee football game? ... well over a 100 thousand rabid fans!!! Every single game...
Btw , W B R.....just sayin....

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well, Dorna says different, at least for last year. You could have 135k at Indy and it would still look like a ghost town. You have 250K seats and you still have the infield to go.

My point is, the Indy race is one of the more attended races on the calendar. Whether or not it is more/less than Mugello is immaterial.

I'm not sure of your point. Other than to say "hey I've been to Mugello."
My point is i've been to the venues and have seen the crowds with my own eyes. If you want to believe the numbers Dorna posts, then go ahead. Indi 2008 was the largest USGP crowd period. Last year was pretty much a joke. Mugello had almost twice the number of people as Indi on raceday. The total number in attendance on raceday was announced over the loudspeaker in Italian and English.

Took a second look at those numbers Dorna posted. Indi should be maybe 4th from the bottom. Japan, Phillip Island, and Qatar are pretty remote and I can see Indi maybe besting those places, maybe. But Indi ahead of the other countries on that list is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So believe your supposition instead of Dorna's posted numbers in an article where they are touting the increase in MotoGP's fan base. Gotcha. Yeah I'm done here.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Guess I'm not quite done. Went back and checked the feed from Mugello this year. Race day attendance was 90,477. Sure, more than Indy, but 67k coming to Indy doesn't look that bad compared to 90k at (my opinion) the best racetrack in the world in a country that loves motorcycle racing.

That's definitely not 135k on race day. Likely that number is for the weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts