Ducati.org forum banner

Does your dealer schedule service

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Ducati world (but not to the motorcycle world) - purchased an 1199 about a month ago. Attempted to schedule my first service and the dealer stated they do not schedule service it is first-come-first-served. Said I have never seen that before at a motorcycle dealer and I thought it was crazy. They stated it was the only way it could be done.

Does your service department schedule appointments or is it a first-come-first-served basis?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
This will depend upon your dealer. I'm guessing you are in North America? if so it's unlikely you have another dealer close by but any authorised dealer has an obligation to complete your service at the correct interval.

The trouble with dealers is they are a bit like Subway. It's a franchise and no two sandwiches are going to be identical.

But generally if I was booking a service I'd expect to call up, ask them when they can fit me in and then agree an appointment. Much like a Doctor's appointment. Anything else I would find odd.

If you are unhappy with the way your dealer is treating you then call Ducati North America and calmly explain why and ask if that behaviour is to be expected. If they say no, ask them to call the dealer and remind them of their responsibilities to you as a customer. That usually gets someone the kick in the rear needed to get stuff done.

if you are in a different market than NA it's the same advice. I'm in the UK and have often had a few well-timed phone calls made to dealers to make them come around. But you have to remember that a dealer is not Ducati, the company. He's just an authorised reseller.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, North America - Virginia. Exactly what I expected - call and they say yeah we have an opening XX day it will take approx 3 hrs.

I get drop it off and we will get to it when I can. So dropped it off first thing this morning - called at 3:30 in the afternoon and was told they haven't even looked at it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yes, North America - Virginia. Exactly what I expected - call and they say yeah we have an opening XX day it will take approx 3 hrs.

I get drop it off and we will get to it when I can. So dropped it off first thing this morning - called at 3:30 in the afternoon and was told they haven't even looked at it.

It's not unheard of.. my car guy operates the same. It's pretty much " bring it over tomorrow and park it, drop the keys in the office and I'll call you when it's done".
That's not always a bad thing, I've been using him since I bought my first car 30 years ago.

Seems like you are just going to have to go with the flow on this one and chalk it up to experience. But this is not a Ducati thing, it's a dealer thing.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Some do and some don't. Most of them will give you a date to drop it off and then get to it when they can, which I can't stand. I understand it but I don't like it. I use a private mechanic and will never look back. I'm lucky to have one.

I go to the dealer to buy knick knacks and clothes that are on sale. And to socialize.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Really depends on dealer and what work you're having done. If it's something standard and quick, it's easier to schedule, but otherwise it may not be, so you just drop off the bike and pick it up when it's done. I've never actually scheduled a service with my dealer. I just tell them what I need and drop off the bike....though I try to do as much of the work as I can. If I had more money and lived in the same town as the dealer, I'd go there more (great place, great guys), but I also enjoy working on the bike myself. It's half the fun in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
The three main Ducati service centers around me all take bookings. The shop I work at takes bookings. Keeps things organized and lets the Tech's know how their week is shaping up before hand.

·
Court Jester
11,816 Posts
apt only on the 3 I've dealt with

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
From my experience, the appointments don't mean anything anyway. So sure, they schedule an appointment, that doesn't put your bike to the front of the cue. At any time, they can call you up and say "sorry we didn't get to it today" and repeat that the following day as well. So even though its a 3hr job, it make take them a week to get to it.

Sooooo again, what's the point of a scheduled service?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well then they are doing something wrong and we are allowing it. Other service departments I deal with: Waugh Harley-Davidson and Classic Iron provide you an appointment day and time and approximately completion. Unless something is really wrong they have never missed the completion time by more than 1 hour.

From my experience, the appointments don't mean anything anyway. So sure, they schedule an appointment, that doesn't put your bike to the front of the cue. At any time, they can call you up and say "sorry we didn't get to it today" and repeat that the following day as well. So even though its a 3hr job, it make take them a week to get to it.

Sooooo again, what's the point of a scheduled service?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Well then they are doing something wrong and we are allowing it. Other service departments I deal with: Waugh Harley-Davidson and Classic Iron provide you an appointment day and time and approximately completion. Unless something is really wrong they have never missed the completion time by more than 1 hour.
Yep, thats what its suppose to be like!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts