Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, read the threads and know the general benefits. But looking for more wisdom.

Lighter flywheel pros: engine spins up faster, more responsive, and reduced engine braking.

cons: harder to start, harder to launch.

On an track-prepped 848 (full termi, race ECU, 14-42 gearing, 520 conversion, forged wheels, 1/8 quick turn throttle kit),

• Will adding a lighter flywheel make an improvement?
  • I know the 1098 flywheel is heavy, but is the 848 flywheel already pretty light?
  • Will it make my bike hard to start? I don't want to be messing around with push starting, that would suck.
  • I read that 900-950 grams is the sweet spot. Anyone know how much the DP flywheel weighs? Is Nichols another preferred option?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I can't really answer too much your questions but I read that the 848 flywheel is lighter (stock/stock) when comparing to an 1198.

What I would like to know is if the DP Flywheel for the 848 is lighter than the 1198 or if they are one and the same.

Follow-up, are the ideal weights different for the 848/1098/1198? and why?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I've never understood the obsession with aftermarket flywheel weights. The crank weighs a lot and so does the stator. The flywheel itself is actually pretty light on the 848, for sure not adding that much to the whole picture. Sure, the reduced weight can allow the motor to spin up quicker, but it can effect smoothness of throttle application and exit drive. Its nice to have a honkin' weight down there to help smooth the transition from off to on throttle and visa versa.

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Race teams were starting to add weight back to the flywheels after they found they were losing top end speed. Lack of inertia is great for acceleration, however when power is no longer applied, it becomes harder to increase or maintain speed.

The 848 flywheel is approx 2lbs, vs 4lbs of the 1198. Plenty light. I would look elsewhere to lighten rotating mass.

Lighter wheels and tires yield a much greater benefit than flywheel.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never understood the obsession with aftermarket flywheel weights. The crank weighs a lot and so does the stator. The flywheel itself is actually pretty light on the 848, for sure not adding that much to the whole picture. Sure, the reduced weight can allow the motor to spin up quicker, but it can effect smoothness of throttle application and exit drive. Its nice to have a honkin' weight down there to help smooth the transition from off to on throttle and visa versa.
Considering a part for an upgrade does not equate to obsession. Especially on a track bike that is used as intended. Smoothness of throttle is a function of MANY factors, and moot on bikes with quick turn throttles anyway.

Good to know that the 848 flywheel is already pretty light, did not know that. And yes, already done the lighter wheels. One of the first things I did.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts