Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we are all about to receive a shiny new 1098, s or Tri and no doubt be the envy of everyone who eyes her: lets talk about defense.

What's the best (and most practical) way to protect our investment from theft? Chain, brake lock, alarm or good old fashion booby trap electrical seat. :naughty:

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
Did you install yourself or is this a dealer item?
You can install yourself it's very easy !!!
All 1098's are prewired for this system , that's original Ducati item. :yo:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm sure you've heard it before, but here it is again, there's no real solid way to keep your Duc safe if someone REALLY wants it. It's gonna go regardless of the size lock you have or how loud your siren is.

A handful of guys, a pair of 2x4's, a utility van and its on its way...

The best deterrent is simple - common sense!

Don't leave it anywhere you feel uncomfortable. If you have no choice, and must leave it, park it a manor to make it as hard as possible to access it. Better yet, if you're with a friend who has a bike, wedge the two bikes front to back, and strap them together. Lifting two bikes together is a LOT harder than one. With that in mind, if you can, always park against or a near a wall, to prevent anyone from getting to both sides of the bike. Sure they can move it if they want, but what you're trying to do is deter a theft, not prevent it. Make yours the harder choice, so a potential thief will move on. Bike locks are good, but often people do not know how to use them correctly, or where to strap them on. Also, I hate to say it, but if you can take the lock with you, it's probably way to thin or not strong enough to be considered a solid lock. The ones you cant ride with, or strap to your neck, is what you need. So if you have a regular parking space, or a place you ride to frequently, leave one behind. Strap it somewhere and when you arrive, grab it and use it. Keeping your bike in plain public view is also a good idea. I know, most of us want to park as far away from people as possible, but that just means less witnesses for a thief. Avoid the last parking spot in the mall, or the alley way.

We've also heard the horror stories of bikes being lifted from peoples homes, right out of their garages. If that's what you're worried about, you may want to consider getting an in-ground anchor and chain lock for your bike. You'll have to drill down and cement it in place, but it's the best way to "lock" your bike in place. Also, don't leave any tools a theif can use to steal your bike in view or around. I visited my friends garage, that looks like an aile at Home Depot, and although he had a very nice anchor and chain on his bike, not even two feet from his ride, he had an electric cutter, just waiting to be used.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
162 Posts
If I had LoJack I would install it!

I have Lojack installed on my R1 and 675, and it really makes a difference. Like DucatiGuy said you park it where its common sense to park it but LoJack would help.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Pamani said:
i am definitely getting lojack put in when I get it.
Get the new Lojack for $50 more.
I'm getting it put in mine.
Get an insurance break as soon as I show them the paperwork.

·
Registered
213 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
Get the new Lojack for $50 more.
I'm getting it put in mine.
Get an insurance break as soon as I show them the paperwork.

Where are you getting your done at? And for how much?. Im gonna see if my Lojack rep can get me a deal on the parts and have my alarm guy install it for me for cheap.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My biggest problem is people sitting on the bike w/out permission. It happened to me Monday... while I was away from the bike. An alarm with a proximity sensor would be nice but is it worth the hassle? At least it does not have the crazy suicide kickstand like my buddy's 996. does the ducati system have a proximity sensor?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Don't spend to much on chain....it take 5 second to cut with a grinder no mather how thick or hardened,.

I have a viper alarm with a 2 way pager. At home, I installed a wireless contact on doors that give access to my bike. I also have 2 big spot light with motion detector.
Oh yes....the bike is chain to an anchor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts