Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple days ago my 848 was hit by a car that was backing up. The motorcycle was parked and I was not present on the bike. The bike was obviously liad down on its side and had some minor damage to the body; fender damaged, mirrors cracked, peggs bent, etc

My question
1. Will the insurance replace all my Parts with original Ducati Parts?

2. Am i Entitled to Depreciation ?

3. Do I have a say in what parts I want to be replaced?

4. What If I have after Marker Parts? Do they get Replaced as well??

Thank you

·
Registered
816 Posts
The quick answer is it depends on your insurance company. I'm assuming that the car took off and you now have to file a claim on your own. If this is the case, then you'll most likely be treated much better than if someone else's insurance was footing the bill. If you have a good reputable insurance carrier, then you should be taken care of.

As for things getting fixed, the way it worked when I had mine repaired was the company sent a rep out to survey the damage and compile a "Fix It" cost. Then, once they decided it was not a total loss they cut me a check for the full replacement of all factory and aftermarket parts, minus my deductible. After that, it was completely up to me how I fixed my bike and what parts to use. I was able to upgrade many things thanks to Ducati's factory parts being so expensive.

Hope I helped a little.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The thing with filing a claim is that the bike will now have a salvage title on it, or at least it does for this state, so depreciation is a very real possibility. Depending on amount of damage it might be easier to foot the bill yourself. Had something similar happen to me. If you have a way to get around other than your bike it might be easier, and cheaper, to do the work yourself for the long term of things. Just a few things to think about

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

·
Court Jester
12,047 Posts
A tip over can run a few grand...

·
Registered
2 Posts
couple days ago my 848 was hit by a car that was backing up. The motorcycle was parked and I was not present on the bike. The bike was obviously liad down on its side and had some minor damage to the body; fender damaged, mirrors cracked, peggs bent, etc

My question
1. Will the insurance replace all my Parts with original Ducati Parts?

2. Am i Entitled to Depreciation ?

3. Do I have a say in what parts I want to be replaced?

4. What If I have after Marker Parts? Do they get Replaced as well??

Thank you
You will have to fight with them , more than likely but they absolutely should use genuine parts and fix everything . Good to have receipts for after market stuff ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Insurance company

Thank you for all the replies.

This isn't a hit & run. I have the insurance information for the person, his insurance company is progressive and I have heard nightmares about progressive insurance.

Also I took it to the shop and he said it would run about 2k will all replacement parts.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The thing with filing a claim is that the bike will now have a salvage title on it, or at least it does for this state, so depreciation is a very real possibility. Depending on amount of damage it might be easier to foot the bill yourself. Had something similar happen to me. If you have a way to get around other than your bike it might be easier, and cheaper, to do the work yourself for the long term of things. Just a few things to think about

It won't have a salvage title unless they list it as totaled and he buys it back. For 2K it's not going to be totaled.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This state does that for some reason. Saw an 848 corse with about 2k in damage and it had a salvage title. This state is weird like that for some reason

·
Registered
51 Posts
This state does that for some reason. Saw an 848 corse with about 2k in damage and it had a salvage title. This state is weird like that for some reason
This doesnt make sense. If the bike was never totaled and/or salvaged, how does it get a salvage title?? A title must transfer for that to happen.

Are you saying that if I bust my mirror off pulling in the garage, Hawaii makes me get a salvage title when I fix it??

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not if you pay out of pocket. It's weird and that was how this was explained to me by a guy who went through it.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
The thing with filing a claim is that the bike will now have a salvage title on it, or at least it does for this state
If you're referring to Hawaii, you are incorrect. I had two accidents in Hawaii, one my fault, one tip over, and my bike still has a clear title.

All parts were replaced with brand new authentic Ducati parts.

First accident included: Rear rim, exhaust, all new fairings, etc...about $12,000 in repairs.

They insured the frame was strait, forks where strait, etc...

Being an "S" the dealership deemed it not expensive enough to total. They claimed $15,000 would have totaled it and hence requiring the salvaged title.

The second accident was just a tip over, similar to the OP's, which racked up around $14,000 in repairs. Including a new stamped frame...still not totaled or salvaged.

Now, my bike has all brand new parts just like the day it rolled off the lot.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up. Like I said that's what I was told.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What wa11er didn't mention was don't park your 1198s next to a bunch of helicopters with a bike cover on! On the Hawaii note I have only seen bikes that were stolen insurance paid out, then recovered and it was given a salvage title.

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts