Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm fairly new to these forums to please be kind :)

Last year I purchased an immaculate 7000km 1999 996 SPS. It's an intoxicating bike to ride - the intake sound, the rawness, the torque. The bike is 100% stock apart from frame plugs, carbon heel guards and a 14 tooth front sprocket.

the ol duck is used only on sunny Sundays for 1-2 hour rides through the twisties. That's about all my wrists, back and ass cheeks can handle! In this environment the bike is a dream, however around town and riding it slow - that's a nightmare - the heat, surging at low revs, heavy clutch. Did I mention the heat?

I'm very interested in the new baby Pani (899). On paper it looks like the perfect street bike.

I rode the bigger 1199 a few weeks ago and while the brakes, handling and power are all incredible, I felt like it was 'too much bike' for me.

My question is, would you sell an immaculate, low-kilometre 996 SPS for the new 899? Reasons and justification for your answers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Keep your 996 and get an 899. I'd say test ride the 899 first then decide if your willing to part with your 996. The 899 is a great bike but it's all going to be preference to you

Sent from my iPad using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
356 Posts
Depends on whether you want a rider or a low production collector
Bike. 899 is probably better in any measurable way, but the sps is fairly
Rare and not getting any more common. I have an 851 which I'll never
Sell, but my 848 is incomparably better for riding.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Having both bikes would be ideal but sadly it's not feasible from a storage or financial standpoint.

My thoughts seem to align with Abby's - the 899 will be 'better' in every way - more power, lighter, better handling, better brakes, electronics package, etc.

But the SPS is 'special' - iconic, and creates a feeling when ridden that even the 1199 doesn't replicate.

I remember thinking after riding the 1199 than I wanted to sell the SPS to get one. Then I rode my SPS and kept thinking "I love this bike" everytime I twisted the throttle and heard that intoxicating induction noise.

When I bought the SPS I was thinking in a way it would 'save' me money. My reasoning for this was that until I bought it, I was cycling through bikes every 2-3 years - buying them, modifying them, getting bored of them and changing over to something else. By the time you factor in depeciation on your bike, the money you've lost on modifications, and the change-over cost of a new bike, you're probably throwing away $10k every time you buy a new bike.

I figured although the SPS is maintenance-intensive, if I kept it for a long time, it would 'save' me money by not going through the constant upgrade cycle.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You just answered your own question B. You love your 996 to the point you can't get rid of it. I love my volvo the same way you love your 996 and I can't part with my car even after trying to on several occasions. If you still have that gidy school girl feeling every time you hear the bike or sit on it then don't part with it and keep the maintenance up.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do get that giggly feeling when riding her. Mind you the Panigale 1199 also gave me that feeling, plus a little bit of "holy sh*t I'm going to die".

This is my bike...and my girlfriend too.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nice catch. On both lol. If we're alike then it'll come down to what you can see yourself keeping for years on end and not get bored with like you said earlier. Yes the 899 will be a better riders bike with all the new technology and everything on the bike but if you can't see yourself keeping it for more than 3 years just stick with the 996 until you find that next can't get rid of bike then upgrade. Or if financially reasonable get a second one. Just my .02

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are those 848 cans on the bike?

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks zodom - you make a lot of sense!

I probably need to remind myself of why I bought the 996 in the first place and that was, as I've mentioned before, to stop myself from being tempted to buy every latest, greatest bike that comes out. I don't want to spend all of my time or money on bikes, and by having to have the 'best' and newest bike out, I can't imagine having much money left over for anything else!

The SPS might not have the razor-sharp handling or whiplash-inducing and underwear-soiling power of the newer bikes, but it certainly handles better, stops faster, and has more power than I possess ability, to use to its full potential.

Everytime I fill up at a pertrol station, someone wants to talk about the bike - "I remember these! You don't see too many of these around any more" etc. I think I'd miss that by going to a 'cookie-cutter' bike.

I'm obviously answering my own question through my ramblings, but sometimes it's good to justify to yourself why you own a particular thing.

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are those 848 cans on the bike?

They're the standard 50mm pipes that I painted the casing with high-temp 'aluminium' colour paint and polished the pipes, as they were starting to look a little scratched.

I really want Termis but I heard them on a friend's bike and they're borderline too loud for me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
At least you can recognize what's going on lol. I'm glad I can help you decide on your current bike haha. Well they look great, good job on the paint. Just keep reminding yourself that your 996 is your dream bike and saves you money in the long run. I can't see anybody getting a new bike every 2 years. If the bike is still pushing your limits every time you ride then that's the bike that's fit for you, for now. And it's a great looking bike btw

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm 32 now and I used to dream about owning a 916 variant when I was a teenager.

It really is a dream bike. I mean the clutch is painfully hard, the egos suck, I get pins and needles in my throttle hand, my bum feels like it has had a local anesthetic after more than an hour, it surges at low speed, runs warm on a hot day and cooks your legs and inner thighs and the suspension is rock hard and small bumps under acceleration try and kick you out of the seat..

..but, these things are quickly forgotten when I'm banging through the gears on my favourite twisties here in Australia.

·
Registered
542 Posts
They say don't ride your dream but it's typically a good ride. I can only imagine how it feels running it through the bends an a good day down there. My dream is a 999. Found one after I bought my monster and I'm so mad about it. O well. Glad to see your happy with the 996 even through it faults lol

·
Banned
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your dream is a 999 then I say enjoy your Monster until another clean example of a 999 comes up and be ready to pounce.

When I bought my 996 my thoughts at the time were "fck it - I work hard and have saved hard and you only live once".

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I do get that giggly feeling when riding her. Mind you the Panigale 1199 also gave me that feeling, plus a little bit of "holy sh*t I'm going to die".

This is my bike...and my girlfriend too.

They both look like 'keepers' to me..

;)

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Trust me, her best qualities are the ones you can't see (girlfriend, not bike).

18 months together and not a single argument or even disagreement.
Good on you. I gathered she would have more than meets the eye.

You can't put a price on decency/loyalty etc. My lovely wife doesn't look quite like yours nowadays at 56, but she too is an absolute star.

And we haven't had a disagreement of any consequence in over 24 years. I hope you have a similar future!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts