Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got bill from 7500 mile service from Metuchen NJ Cross Country for my 2011 1198 with 9700 miles
Valve Adjustment, Timing belt oil change, and bled rear brake... Haven’t picked up bike yet so have perused bill but it came to $2051.00 USD I was expecting $1200 - 1400 ish. Does this sound out of control??? Should I write to DNA? or just suck it up and do the work myself next time

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just got bill from 7500 mile service from Metuchen NJ Cross Country for my 2011 1198 with 9700 miles
Valve Adjustment, Timing belt oil change, and bled rear brake... Haven’t picked up bike yet so have perused bill but it came to $2051.00 USD I was expecting $1200 - 1400 ish. Does this sound out of control??? Should I write to DNA? or just suck it up and do the work myself next time

Cheers

First off that does sound ridiculously high... But due to the proximity of NYC I am not surprised.

Second- I would definitely not take it to a dealer for "simple" maintenance like oil changes, bleeding of the brakes, or even a timing belt change. Your Ducati maintenance manual is your friend when it comes to service and with a little light reading you could at least have done everything with the exception of valves.

Now with all that being said,
how in depth did your valve maintenance go? You went past your mileage for the 7500 mile service so I would speak to the dealer and ask if they had to replace any parts that may have failed prematurely or looked like they needed replacement. Just because it said "Valve Adjustment" doesn't mean all they had to do was throw some shims in there and call it good.

Just my two cents...
Let us know how it all turns out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The ducati dealer I use is fast by feracci in PA had my monster 998 s4r in for valve adj. Belt replacement and oil change cost was 980.00 I feel they are honest.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'll get the itemized bill tomorrow when I pick it up. I was told it needed 4 vlaves adjusted...could have been more they originally quoted me $100 per valve so if they did all 8 plus the base $750 plus tax it would be pushing 1600 so maybe they replaced some other parts I'll see tomorrow. live and learn

I was at a Birthday Party in 1992 for guess who...........Eraldo Ferracci should have brought it to him!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts

Cheers

You went to cross country Ducati service there ya go!
Scumiest service shop in the country. I love the sales team and and have issue buying a bike from them but no thanks for the service.

Scumbags charged me $500+ (over 3 hours labor at $130+ an hour) to put Ducati performance we are set on my brand-new 1199 I bought from them in 2013. I paid the bill that day or the next day I immediately called the manager and got back half refund Which still was an absurd overcharge.
I was brand-new to the panigale family at the Time and didn't really want to do it myself but now I can install these rear sets in 20 minutes If that taking my sweet time.

That service department RIPS you off to no end its sad.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Given the fact they charge over $300 just for an oil change I'm not surprised that your bill is that much ....
Bleeding the rear brake they probably charged you half hour of labor At least. At their cost with tax that's close to $75 alone, even though bleeding the Brake takes a minute and 10 seconds.

If you approved them to do all of this work and you never got any estimate in writing that they went over then you are 100% at fault for that expensive bill.

But if they did things without your permission Then you aren't responsible for those costs.

7500 mile bike with four valves out of tolerance sounds like bullshit to me! Unless you wring that bikes neck 24/7.

Funny as I'm writing this I'm driving past theIr exit on 287.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It always depends on where you live, but it seems high to me.

Valves adjusted at 7500? Maybe 1 or 2 but I wonder how many. Would be good to see a break down of the work including hours and what is their shop rate...
$130 an hour plus tax! Almost $150 an hour.

They charge like a god damn Maserati dealership!

Side note-
If you have no mechanical inclination to do even basic maintenance, then take your bike to motorcycle center on Route 18 they charge $79 an hour I believe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They originally quoted me 8hrs [email protected] $119 per hour plus tax, I calculated ~ 1018
Then they called and said 4 valves need adjusting @ 100 per valve + bleed rear brake which I can do blind folded in 10 min. So I figured max 1400
So I guess then on top of the labour they tack on parts belt 100+ Oil + magic unicorn tears enhanced coolant from Italian unicorns...and of course the tax on the imported unicorn tears!!!! 2051 sounds just about like its right !!!!

I bet the 8 hours also includes a catered lunch...
Well they lost me as a repeat customer for sure plus will never buy a thing from them again!!!!

I should still bitch about tank #2 that is still swelling up!!

Oh plus I have shimmed valves before on my honda CBR900, replaced brakes and lines, put on exhausts and change my own tires I just figured first time let the dealer do it..... man did I get raped........Ouch!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the shims thats what I figured.... didn't want to screw it up. Well I figure it should be good for another 9k miles..or so I hope. Next time Fast by Ferrraci for me.
I just hope they didn't screw up something else. Last time when they put new tank on they left off 1 side of faring screws!!! LOL

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's unfortunate how many suckers fall for the language those service writers use to get you to say "yes."

Still, you do NOT pay a dollar over what you were quoted. So if you have a written quote for 1000 and change plus the 400 more plus tax they quoted you over the phone that's 1400 That additional 600 sounds a little funny to me I would definitely be fighting this I'm not paying that bill 100%.

More people need to defend themselves against these overcharging dealerships.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everything was verbal they put nothing in writing nor do they have anything in writing from me. I will get the bill see what they did and if I see a ridiculous charge for bleeding brakes etc I will bitch a bit ..then pay it then contact Ducati North America to complain then if feasible contest charge on my credit card... I don't deny them from making a living and overhead is high I'm sure I just want to make sure that for 2051 dollars I got that in service and parts. I know labour hours are always inflated...
Honestly if the bike is running great and they havent damaged anything I'll be pretty happy.... The bike was running solid when it went in so it better not have some weird new issue now post the service!!!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Subscribed to this one for sure!
Really want to hear what DNA has to say as a reply man.
Listen to TCHASE as he knows his shit! Labor rates are high at many shops and most are justified. Usually the high end dealerships wacky ya harder, and as stated anything close to NYC is gonna be steep - I'm sure many of the guys from that area can attest and chime in on.

Real sorry to hear about this crap and that bill brother. I can tell just by reading your words you're not one to take this one lying down man. Best of luck and please keep us all posted on the issues. For the hell of it I'm gonna reach out to my good friend, who happens to own the Ducati dealership I buy all my bike from and see what their 7500 service runs. To be honest I don't even see a bike this new in need of a valve adjustment that soon.
Stay focused and in the fight brother!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Ovepaid for your bike??? Say it isn't so bro?
I truly can't see that happening unless youare limited on dealers out there and you just didn't want to haggle at all?

Not to rub salt in YOUR wound but Ive only paid dead cost (not even the silly freight and prep fees we all see tacked on) for my last two Superbikes- 1198s Corse Limited Edition #244, and the current 1199 Tricolore. And yes I actually held the dealers invoice from DNA in my hands which showed what each bike in his showroom cost him to obtain. Hence how I've helped those folks who took me up on my offers to help them get a bike! The last 3 guys I hooked up- and even took down there personally paid $100 over cost. To make matters worse for the infected wound my other good friend is a Senior Rep at Freedom Road who was able to create the absolute best interest rates on the loans. Just to be fair, that offer always stands for certain members who are interested in getting a new bike with my assistance ;)

BTW - just to stay somewhat on topic, this is the dealer friend I've reached out to regarding the service cost of our OP friend here. I will obtain the true scoop to this story thru him if it takes the rest of my week! I've taken on a personal curiosity to his situation and as always, I'm just here to help my fellow members! :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
To be honest I don't even see a bike this new in need of a valve adjustment that soon.
Agreed, unless your tracking the bike or an extremely aggressive rider the 7500 service is most likely a belt change.

Unfortunately the service quality of the Ducati dealerships in the tri-state area is lacking.. all about billable hours.

They will push the envelop and labor charges if you aren't paying attention or don't challenge them.

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yikes!! Get a fully detailed service report then follow up with DNA. Ducati limits bill rate for standard service. You got ripped-off, don't argue with them until after you've contacted DNA.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
+1 to my friend above!
I believe that had this not exceeded the 2k mark things would not have been as alarming - what a ya think Proct?

Btw- for your next bike would you drive to Virginia to save thousands? :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts