Ducati.org forum banner

Setting Suspension Sag

19K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  boki 
#1 ·
This is my first real post and I'm looking for some advise. I've had my 2014 HM 821 SP for a couple of months now and loving it, so much fun to ride. Suspension setting are still stock and with so much adjustability I'm sure there is room for improvement. I've been researching suspension sag setting for the HM but have not found any specific settings. I've found plenty of methods to measure and set sag with generic settings. Below is one I thought I would try but wanted to see what the HM forum thought first.

Front: For road race bikes, rear sag is typically 25 to 30mm. Street riders usually use 30 to 35mm. Bikes set up for the track are compromise when ridden on the street. The firmer settings commonly used on the track are generally not recommended (or desirable) for road work.

Rear: Street bikes run between 25 and 33 percent of their total travel, which equates to 30 to 35mm. Roadrace bikes usually run between 25 and 30mm.

I would really appreciate your thoughts?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
There's two points worth mentioning here.

First, the sag numbers you mention are for street bikes that have wheel travel of around 130 mm – less than the Hypermotard's 165 mm front, 141 mm rear. So your 25— 33% sag will be a bigger number in order to set your ride height/sag correctly.

Second, the smaller sag numbers for track use are used because cornering forces (that push the bike down into its suspension) on the track are generally larger than encountered on the street. Consequently, in a corner a street bike and a track bike will be at the same point in their suspension – the cornering sag/ride height end up the same.

Also, keep in mind that the track sag settings are not firmer as you suggest. Spring preload will raise or lower ride height, but does not change spring stiffness.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi! I calculated the following:
Hypermotard SP Suspension settings
MARZOCCHI FORKS: 185mm of travel
Sag: 25% of 185=46.25mm (1.82")
OHLINS REAR SHOCK
175mm of travel
Sag:30% of 175= 52mm (2")
My problem is I weigh only 150lbs and I cannot get those sag values. In fact I only get half! My buddy who weighs 185 only gets a quarter inch more...spring is completely extended with rings at end of threads.
I'll have to order a new Ohlins spring and Marzocchi don't make anything softer...
Anyone having issues with over stiff suspension?

#5 · (Edited)
Hi! I calculated the following:
Hypermotard SP Suspension settings
MARZOCCHI FORKS: 185mm of travel
Sag: 25% of 185=52mm (1.82")
OHLINS REAR SHOCK
175mm of travel
Sag:30% of 175= 52mm (2")
My problem is I weigh only 150lbs and I cannot get those sag values. In fact I only get half! My buddy who weighs 185 only gets a quarter inch more...spring is completely extended with rings at end of threads.
I'll have to order a new Ohlins spring and Marzocchi don't make anything softer...
Anyone having issues with over stiff suspension?
Hi Martoon5. I'll have ago at setting my Sag over the weekend and I'll let you know. I weigh 85KG (187.3 lbs).

I think this calculations is incorrect; 25% of 185mm is 46.25 not 52mm

Why are you using 30% for the rear and 25% for the front? I thought the same % should be used for both.

#6 ·
Hey I just got myself a 2014 hypermotard SP and would like to dial the suspension in, so I was quite happy to find this thread.
I learned most suspension stuff from mountain biking and the manufacturers are pretty specific about how to set up your shock and fork sag in fact now many bikes have the settings silkscreened right on the stanchion tubes and shock tubes.
Question is, is doesn't Ducati have specific sag recommendations for each bike? And does anyone know how to find those numbers?

#7 · (Edited)
Congrats on the new ride. You're going to have heaps of fun. I hope you can keep you license :)

Setting the sag is specific to each riders weight. But there are other aspects like spring rate as well which is why there are 2 measurements that are important when setting sag.

I haven't had a chance to set mine yet as I can't seem to enlisting the help of someone else at the moment :)

I hope this answers your question.

Geoff

#8 · (Edited)
Spring Change

Hey Guys, sorry I didn't get back sooner but was looking for a solution. Went to see a suspension expert at the track, and he confirmed that the OEM spring is way too stiff for "comfy" use for a guy my weight (150Lbs) he threw in a Eibach spring in there and set it up 12mm preload on a 177mm spring. Now I have plenty of thread to adjust both directions (track use or Bumpy roads). It was money well spent. Do not start hating your bike for 100$ Spring! Also, he mentioned that the Marzocchis probably have a shim in there we can remove to have more adjustment. Worth doing before spending lots of money for a fork job.
He is going to get back to me with an Ohlins equivalent part number if I want to stay with a yellow spring.
I'll be back with part numbers.
Good catch on the calculation Chevy.Au!
As for 30% rear, I just read that somewhere, but like most people will say. It's all preference...so it is more of a ballpark figure.

#10 · (Edited)
I have a '14 Hyper SP, weigh 155 lbs, and have installed the softer Olin's spring on the shock, and raised the forks 8mm in the triples. Handling is much better, turns in like it should, and no more harshness on cracks and little bumps, at least for my riding and weight.

Hey Martoon5, do you know what model of Eibach springs that guy "threw in" to your SP's fork? There's also many different possible positions (notches) you can put the spring's rest (stop?) in, know which one he used? Also, did he change the fork oil, it's viscosity or level?

Thanks!

My current settings
Rear Shock
1cm of threads showing on shock below preload lock-rings
compression = 20 clicks out
Rebound = 21 out

Fork
3/4 turn in from fully out on pre-load
Compression = 20 out
Rebound = 18 out
Tubes raised 8mm in triples

Still think I need to replace the front springs with something softer to use more of the travel, and get a more compliant ride overall.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah Speedy, finding any solid info about modding the stock SP's fork is difficult, especially in regards to sourcing different springs to dial in the ride for lighter riders. And now that Marzocchis's out of biz, it sure isn't going to get any easier. The parts guy at my local dealer even said that the SP's fork was very unique, and it's pressurized inner cartridge was not commonly used, or easy to service.
This winter I plan on having my local dirt bike suspension guru take my fork apart (he say's he knows how to get the oil out of the Zoke's cartridge, which isn't easy I hear), inspect, clean up any bushing burs (a possible issue) and replace the oil with something thinner to maximize my travel and increase the compliance.

Meanwhile I've backed out my Fork's rebound to 21 out, and the compression clicker to 21 out as well. Works better for me.

#14 ·
#15 ·
My marzocchi's failed on me, Andreani IS making a kit for the SP now. Got mine from fast bike industries. Only had one ride on them and still tweaking them.

Side note on rear shock, I weigh 170 and have 33mm of thread showing and that boy me correct sag. Not sure if the rear spring has been changed... bought second hand

#17 ·
Andreani kit for SP

Thanks for the info, as I was trying to talk myself into springing for $1,200 K-tec cartridges for my SP.

Questions;
Did they offer you different springs for your weight?
Were the springs included with the price?
How's it ride now?
Better small bump compliance?
Did you need to machine anything in the fork to install?

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks, I did jack up the preload just the other day, will test some more in the coming days. What springs/oil/setup would you suggest for my weight? Aren't these forks using a bit more complex setup that would make the rebuild/upgrade a bit more expensive? Anybody in NY/NJ/CT area that could do the job and for how much $$ (ballpark of course)? Thanks.

-Never mind, sorry for asking before searching - found a bunch of posts explaining suspension settings and got even more confused, he he. Will seek the help of professional shop to help me out with suspension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.