Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Not sure how many southern cali people are here but I had a question about your cornering technique on the turn that Paul (Rockstore Photos) hangs out at in the AM (Half way up the snake). I always feel like I'm charging this turn, but on my exit, I feel like I could have hit it harder because my exit speed feels low. This turn is a little less than 90 degrees and has a moderate incline upon exit.

Any suggestions or advice on body positioning or throttle control, trail braking??

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Have you done a track day?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you done a track day?
No, unfortunately not. Next summer I will for sure be heading to Willow for a couple days, but I think I might want a track bike just in case I eat it lol I don't want to mess up the Duc..

I heard that your riding confidence is greatly increased after a day at the track, but $200 is a lot of money and my buddy that I rode with all the time moved to Michigan and we were planning a track day for next year.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Riding that rode for the first time tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
You'll like it a lot. it's a pretty fun road. Not as long as you would probably like but the last turn is really fun.

If you're going to be there anyway, I would suggest you ride Latigo too. They just re-paved it and it's a great ride. Not for the faint of heart though (Very Very twisty)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used to do this road non stop years ago, then i discovered the track.. damn... track makes you feel like everything else has no taste.
The best way to go faster is by trying different lines, different in/out, always in your comfort zone as it's a road though. what i used to do it do the turn all the way on the left side, then all the way on the right and then one in the center, by then the tires were warm enough, you know the condition of the road and you can start defining entry and exit points. Just FYI, there are amazing canyons (stunt, piuma, las flores..) that are way more fun, as there are not much riders.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to do this road non stop years ago, then i discovered the track.. damn... track makes you feel like everything else has no taste.
The best way to go faster is by trying different lines, different in/out, always in your comfort zone as it's a road though. what i used to do it do the turn all the way on the left side, then all the way on the right and then one in the center, by then the tires were warm enough, you know the condition of the road and you can start defining entry and exit points. Just FYI, there are amazing canyons (stunt, piuma, las flores..) that are way more fun, as there are not much riders.

I'll try that out, thanks for the suggestion.

I actually ride all of those roads too... I live right off of Topanga and Dumetz so my usual route is: Mulholland>Stunt>Schueren>Piuma>Mulholland>Latigo and then either reverse or I take PCH to Topanga on the way back if I'm not feeling too tired.

I've done Las Flores a few times but that road has some really weird elevation changes into the turns. Feels really crazy going down hill. There was one time I ran pretty wide into the last turn because it has a nasty dip and saw a car coming up... puckered for sure.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No, unfortunately not. Next summer I will for sure be heading to Willow for a couple days, but I think I might want a track bike just in case I eat it lol I don't want to mess up the Duc..

I heard that your riding confidence is greatly increased after a day at the track, but $200 is a lot of money and my buddy that I rode with all the time moved to Michigan and we were planning a track day for next year.
\
you should get sliders (bar end, spool, frame..etc..) and a cheap set of plastic fairing (i have one to sell if you want) and you're all set!

for the trackday, you can have some around 110/120 when you register early. Streets of willow is a good track to learn on, as it's almost like a canyon road, check motoyard/ti2tt... for the best prices/dates... also if you can save a bit of money on the side, check out superbike school, you'll learn a lot from them whatever is your skill level.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Las Flores a few times but that road has some really weird elevation changes into the turns. Feels really crazy going down hill.
haha yeah, i remember the first time i rode it, i didn't know what to expect, i did the whole thing in 1st engine braking all the way lol

·
Registered
5,697 Posts

Why do you ask?
Ducati makes a great track bike:)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The snake is absolutely the worst road in the area. The corners are very tight and you can't see around them, so it makes for an extremely dangerous situation. I refuse to ride that road, even at slow speeds.

I use to ride there religiously before I found other roads like Stunt and Piuma, which make a continuous loop which is FAR more fun/faster and without the tight/blind corners. I use to go up stunt and down Piuma. If you look on a map, you can see the cross road which connects the two of them.

Moment I hit the track, I was done with canyons, they're a complete waste of time. You feel good on them because it gives you something to do on any given weekend, but they aren't teaching you how to ride. Worse off, if you ride them like you would ride at the track, you actually don't have the same control over the bike incase something happens. So you really can't use track skills in the canyon.

Yes, track days are expensive, yes its nice to have a dedicated track bike, yes they require you to buy specialized gear like one piece leather suits, tire warmers, vehicle to carry the bike to and from the track, track tires, etc… but they are SO much more fun and the level of safety is well beyond anything you can get on any street, public or private. Tracks have instructors to teach you how to ride, they have run-off, there are other likeminded people who will tow you around and the best benefit yet? The track enables you to see advancement in skill, something you can't get on the street. People push on the street, but there is absolutely no way to quantify skill, on the track there is and it's the reason why MOST people give up street riding once they become religious track riders.

As a side note, if you can't afford the roadrace track, why not buy a dirt bike for those weekends you can't track? That's what I did and let me tell ya something, the skills you learn on dirt translate beautifully into riding sport bikes, it's amazing. Plus, it's practically free to ride, bikes are cheap and there are so many trackday/sportbike people at the motocross tracks of So Cal it's amazing. All of my roadracing/trackday friends ride dirt bikes because it gives you that fix, without having to spend thousands of dollars on a sport bike track weekend.

I know it sucks… but I've been in your shoes and this is what I've done to survive AND have fun at the same time!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you should get sliders (bar end, spool, frame..etc..) and a cheap set of plastic fairing (i have one to sell if you want) and you're all set!

for the trackday, you can have some around 110/120 when you register early. Streets of willow is a good track to learn on, as it's almost like a canyon road, check motoyard/ti2tt... for the best prices/dates... also if you can save a bit of money on the side, check out superbike school, you'll learn a lot from them whatever is your skill level.
Nice... I'll check those sites out. As soon as I get some money together I might take you up on the plastics. I'll take a look at some of the frame protection items you mentioned too. I never really liked any of those things because I felt like it made the bike look too bulky but I guess you're right, they do serve a purpose.

I would love to go to the Keith Code California Superbike School, but $2000 is a little out of my price range right now. Maybe i'll ask the wife for an early birthday gift next summer. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to sound like :blah: to the wife when I bring up the price though lol

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The snake is absolutely the worst road in the area. The corners are very tight and you can't see around them, so it makes for an extremely dangerous situation. I refuse to ride that road, even at slow speeds.

I use to ride there religiously before I found other roads like Stunt and Piuma, which make a continuous loop which is FAR more fun/faster and without the tight/blind corners. I use to go up stunt and down Piuma. If you look on a map, you can see the cross road which connects the two of them.

Moment I hit the track, I was done with canyons, they're a complete waste of time. You feel good on them because it gives you something to do on any given weekend, but they aren't teaching you how to ride. Worse off, if you ride them like you would ride at the track, you actually don't have the same control over the bike incase something happens. So you really can't use track skills in the canyon.

Yes, track days are expensive, yes its nice to have a dedicated track bike, yes they require you to buy specialized gear like one piece leather suits, tire warmers, vehicle to carry the bike to and from the track, track tires, etc… but they are SO much more fun and the level of safety is well beyond anything you can get on any street, public or private. Tracks have instructors to teach you how to ride, they have run-off, there are other likeminded people who will tow you around and the best benefit yet? The track enables you to see advancement in skill, something you can't get on the street. People push on the street, but there is absolutely no way to quantify skill, on the track there is and it's the reason why MOST people give up street riding once they become religious track riders.

As a side note, if you can't afford the roadrace track, why not buy a dirt bike for those weekends you can't track? That's what I did and let me tell ya something, the skills you learn on dirt translate beautifully into riding sport bikes, it's amazing. Plus, it's practically free to ride, bikes are cheap and there are so many trackday/sportbike people at the motocross tracks of So Cal it's amazing. All of my roadracing/trackday friends ride dirt bikes because it gives you that fix, without having to spend thousands of dollars on a sport bike track weekend.

I know it sucks… but I've been in your shoes and this is what I've done to survive AND have fun at the same time!

Thanks for the helpful advice. I started out riding dirtbikes as a kid and that's how I came to love motorcycles. I agree with dirt helping a lot in riding because it gets you comfortable with the rear tire being loose and knowing how to handle it. I rode everything from 50's to 250's (I'm a 2 stroke guy) and I really enjoy it but I just don't have too many friends that ride dirt and I haven't had much inspiration to do it.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts

Why do you ask?
You think you'd want a track bike just in case you eat it, but you ask how to go faster on your Ducati on a public road, with blind turns, cars and bikes going all over the place, people and cops standing around, lose gravel and other stuff on the road, etc.?? $200 is a lot cheaper than what's going to cost you when your bike goes tumbling down a mountain.

There's a lot of info on here and also that you can find locally from track day enthusiasts, racers, instructors, etc about technique and how to go faster...but it's most likely going to be in the "on the track" section, and at your local track days. I strongly suggest you try it. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot more than you would trying to be a canyon hero, plus the consequences if something goes wrong will most likely not be as bad. Just ride at your own pace and try to improve a little bit at a time, don't try to go way over your skill level.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You think you'd want a track bike just in case you eat it, but you ask how to go faster on your Ducati on a public road, with blind turns, cars and bikes going all over the place, people and cops standing around, lose gravel and other stuff on the road, etc.?? $200 is a lot cheaper than what's going to cost you when your bike goes tumbling down a mountain.

There's a lot of info on here and also that you can find locally from track day enthusiasts, racers, instructors, etc about technique and how to go faster...but it's most likely going to be in the "on the track" section, and at your local track days. I strongly suggest you try it. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot more than you would trying to be a canyon hero, plus the consequences if something goes wrong will most likely not be as bad. Just ride at your own pace and try to improve a little bit at a time, don't try to go way over your skill level.
Point well received.

For the most part I always stay within my comfort zone, but more than just going fast, I want to be smooth and take the right lines. This one turn seems to always hit me as a shock though. Like you brought up, it's a blind right turn and exits onto a upward hill so I feel the front forks dip... just feels a little wobbly and slow on the exit.

I'll look at the trackday sections on the forum for advice to my common questions on cornering and I appreciate your input.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts

Why do you ask?
I never thought I'd want to do a track day, even after purchase of my Ducati. It wasn't long between riding it and reading on this forum I understood I wasn't going to improve my riding skills on the street and more likley was going to lay the bike down on the street.

I can't stress enough go to at least one track day 200 bucks is cheap insurance. I don't fuck around on the street anymore it's just not worth it. The corner you speak of has hundereds of videos of people laying their bike down I don't think you want to add to the stats.

The very questions you asked will be tought at track and only track can you truley practice them. You can foucus on what you need to focus on not traffic and shit on the road.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Thanks for the helpful advice. I started out riding dirtbikes as a kid and that's how I came to love motorcycles. I agree with dirt helping a lot in riding because it gets you comfortable with the rear tire being loose and knowing how to handle it. I rode everything from 50's to 250's (I'm a 2 stroke guy) and I really enjoy it but I just don't have too many friends that ride dirt and I haven't had much inspiration to do it.
Good! Glad you have a good riding background.

Yea, it's hard when ya got nobody to ride with, that's for sure. If you ever wanna go out, I pretty much live at Milestone which is Riverside and live right near you. Wish I had a street bike cuz I could show you the ropes, but I sold my bike at the end of last year because I was going to kill myself. When you're quick on the dirt AND at track days, it's really hard to slow it down for the street. I had a bunch of close calls after trying to slow down, so I threw in the towel and bought a cage… first cage for me since I started riding in 2006.

Ohh and I too am a 2 stroke guy! :D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.