Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty confused with all the oil brands. My bike has 3800 miles and the 600 service was completed, since then, never gotten an oil change. I am just a weekend joy rider, any recommendations? Leaning towards the Shell because of the owners manual.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh no he didn't ask an oil question! JK
All those bikes and you don't have a favorite yet? I think the Shell idea in the manual was some partnership, but doesn't mean it works any better than others.
I am a big fan of Motul and Amsoil full synthetics. Lots of race guys run the Shell t6 but they are changing their oil every weekend and in my mind it's not worth the chance if you change it once a year. Oil is relatively cheap so why take the chance.
I have even had decent luck with Mobil 1 4t from Schucks.
Hope this helps.
Criz

Pretty confused with all the oil brands. My bike has 3800 miles and the 600 service was completed, since then, never gotten an oil change. I am just a weekend joy rider, any recommendations? Leaning towards the Shell because of the owners manual.

·
Registered
667 Posts
As much as people like to rag on oil posts, it would be nice to have a master post. The search button isn't broken or anything but most of the time that's the first thing new to Ducati (or any bike) are going to seek out. A sticky where everyone can say what oil they use and why would be spectacular. haha

Stevester954, as the service techs and a few members on here have said to me and others, it doesn't matter so much on the brand or 15W50/10w40 but that you change it regularly and often.

Reactions: Tchase

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I thing oil questions should be a sticky!

JWM - wtf? Maybe make a blanket statement like that for your lawn mower! Not for the Duc!
I believe you meant : whatever synthetic of the top 3 is cheapest maybe?

I couldn't find shell synthetic stateside when I needed to do my 1st change so I have gone Amsoil since.

Whatever is the cheapest. Buy that one.

·
Registered
99 Posts

JWM - wtf? Maybe make a blanket statement like that for your lawn mower! Not for the Duc!

I couldn't find shell synthetic stateside when I needed to do my 1st change so I have gone Amsoil since.
I have multiple racers/race teams that I sponsor with AMSOIL so it's good to see more riders giving us a try. To answer the OP's question both are good oils but the Motul would most likely be easier to get your hands on then the Shell. Talk to your local Ducati shop and they most likely have an account where they can get you the Shell oil.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy read the motor oil university class. I called the shell support folks last year and had the discussion with them about the OEM spec oil and they said the market it too small in the states and we wouldn't see it here in qty's to support us. We then got on with the discussion of a suitable replacement and we ended up talking about Rotella T6 it is certified JASO and from their own account will fill the void of their own product. I use T6 in my Ford Super Duty 6.4l diesel towing a 40' toy hauler and if it can take care of my truck and all the stress that I put on it then I trust the folks at shell when they say it will take care of my 848.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Used Oil Analysis - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy read the motor oil university class. I called the shell support folks last year and had the discussion with them about the OEM spec oil and they said the market it too small in the states and we wouldn't see it here in qty's to support us. We then got on with the discussion of a suitable replacement and we ended up talking about Rotella T6 it is certified JASO and from their own account will fill the void of their own product. I use T6 in my Ford Super Duty 6.4l diesel towing a 40' toy hauler and if it can take care of my truck and all the stress that I put on it then I trust the folks at shell when they say it will take care of my 848.
Duc Down. Take 3. Not so LoL! - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Read the last 3 posts

Craig

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love Amsoil stuff. I use it in most of my motors. The only thing I don't is my race bike where I use Motul that is a tad cheaper but that I can get from 5 min down the road. This is because I change my oil every 2 track days or so. If Amsoil starts being available at shops and stuff I will probably change over to that.

·
Registered
667 Posts

Who makes them the top 3 though? Sales? Ducati dealer service tech told me he probably wouldn't recommend Walmart brand oil but any oil brand will work as long as it's specific to motorcycles and close to what is recommended in the manual weight wise depending on riding styles, season, ect.

This is why we need a sticky. lol
I am using Redline 10w40

·
Registered
667 Posts
I love Amsoil stuff. I use it in most of my motors. The only thing I don't is my race bike where I use Motul that is a tad cheaper but that I can get from 5 min down the road. This is because I change my oil every 2 track days or so. If Amsoil starts being available at shops and stuff I will probably change over to that.
I'd use amsoil if I could get it easier.

Reactions: owna3000gt

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just out of curiosity I asked my local Ducati dealers what they use:

Beverly Hills Ducati- Motul 300v 10w 40

Del Amo Motorsport- Either Shell or Motul 300v 10w 40

Pro Italia- Redline 10w 40

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.