Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys
I have some DP Carbon on the bike but the cost is EXTREME. The Shift Tech matte carbon looks similar but has anyone got any experience of the weave and how it compares to the DP stuff. How would Shift Tech and DP (both matte) look side by side?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Can't beat Shift-tech's quality and customer service. They bubble wrap the shit out of their parts (shit as mean awesomely good extreme satisfied LOL) They also offer the CF parts at a cheaper price than DP.
I think you can drop the whole box on top of a 5 story building and the parts are untouched.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The weave used on most, if not all, carbon pieces manufactured for our bikes is the same. It's a decorative size weave. The finishea vary from super glossy down to a rough matte. The only time you will have a difference in weave is in a high stress piece or if they use twill. Twill is a very different look and not many companies offer it and if they do, it's clearly labeled as twill.

The Shift-Tech matte should go fine with the DP pieces.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have shift tech's front and rear fender(1198) and under tank panels. I have DP heel guards which are a thinker materiel so no good comparison there, but they do look good together, all gloss. The weave matches.
At the moment I am looking at a DP 1-piece belly pan.

ST has outstanding customer service and I think he(Guido) offers a 10% discount to forum members.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good feedback guys thanks, I've found a company in Italy that produces the same matte weave as DP. The comparison pics look spot on, they said if I get it delivered and it doesnt match they'll refund 100%.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
No doubt in my military mind that Shift Tech has EVERYONE else beat hands down on products, shipping, appearance, and most importantly the best customer service one can ever ask for !

Granted, I consider the owner, Guido a personal friend but that still doesnt change the fact that all of the above statements are entirely true and I would honestly consider his CF over any other before making the purchase! I do have a couple pieces of CF from another company on my Tri but that was only due to the fact he did not have any at that time and I did wish to see how that company compared to Shift Tech gear. Obviously they were small in nature and not a major purchase which always goes to Guido for the best experience.

**everything above is all MY personal opinion and based on MY experience alone!

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Sorry to fly in the face of such enthusiasm, and your friendship Gunny! But I have had trouble with some Shift-Tech items. Several on one bike even.

To be fair, some of the parts weren't actually manufactured by Shift-Tech, but fitting problems as bad as that shouldn't happen. I am talking earlier series by the way, not Panigale.

An air runner cover was nowhere near fitting an 848 Evo. (These were made by Lieb of Germany for Shift-Tech). They look nicely made - they just don't line up with the mounts.

The side panels - also from Shift-Tech - were nowhere near lining up with the lower front holes.

I didn't remove the sidecovers to check who actually made them. I'll do that when he drops it back to ovalise the holes in the frame so all the screws can be fitted..

I would have returned them if it had been my bike, but the owner decided against it. But it just so happens that these items are the worst fit of any brand (of many) I have fitted.

My own bike has mostly DP carbon, which has always fitted perfectly.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Absolutely no offense taken at all Pat. I hope you reached out and expressed these concerns to him and also hope he made it right by you somehow too? We all have our brand and company loyalties wth someone and these often close our minds to others. I try my best to keep an open mind to everyone and realize that even the best folks are flawed somewhere or another and don't get into pissing contests with anyone regarding their personal choices at all. If you ever need assistance for ANY type of part or accessory I'm always willing to do my best to help anyone with the many contacts I have within my brain housing group and little black book! ;)

All the very best for year 2015 my friends!

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Not my bike, and the owner decided against making a fuss.

They CAN be made to fit, but they're not even close as supplied.

I think the owner got them for a good price from his mate who was managing a Ducati dealership at the time. No longer a Ducati shop.

They were probably parts that the workshop had tried to fit and rejected.

And a Happy Ducati New Year to you too sir!

:)

·
Registered
438 Posts
pat I have read this same response on a earlier post by you and I wounded.

I know if I buy a part and it doesn't fit, it happends. I return said part. I don't understand if you have these through your shop all the time. wouldn't you have a good insight and wouldn't a friend listen to you. I mean it's not like it's motor work and down time fallows.

I too have a older set of German made under tank panels from shift tech and they fit great.
I bought them used and I have taking them off/on a handfull of times on they all lined up perfectly.

With some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with. I don't see why you didn't just return them for a set that fit.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I only have one DP part and one Shift Tech part. DP air tube runners don't line up 100% (but could be made to fit with a little dremel time) and the ST front fender is perfect fit (although showing its service/useage, thanks to a rider that wanted to inspect the ground a couple of times and is a little rough with the front stand when 2nd call is up. :-/).

I am pretty anxious to see how Brian's (Citta Corsa) carbon track fairings compares to my CDT street ones. Hopefully will find out in about a month or so. :)

-Christian

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
pat I have read this same response on a earlier post by you and I wounded.

I know if I buy a part and it doesn't fit, it happends. I return said part. I don't understand if you have these through your shop all the time. wouldn't you have a good insight and wouldn't a friend listen to you. I mean it's not like it's motor work and down time fallows.

I too have a older set of German made under tank panels from shift tech and they fit great.
I bought them used and I have taking them off/on a handfull of times on they all lined up perfectly.

With some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with. I don't see why you didn't just return them for a set that fit.
I thought I had explained that in post #10.

No, I don't run a 'shop' as such, In fact I don't do a lot of bike work these days.

There hasn't been a lot of these issues - and as I said, the owner decided to get me to make them fit, rather than chase up replacements. Not sure of the reason he decided to do that.

I certainly suggested that he send them back! But we are a long way away.

I have fitted a number of carbon parts from a range of manufacturers. I just thought I should mention that I had found problems with this brand.

Not trying to bash Shift-Tech. Only offer a balanced range of experiences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts