Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I unforutantly low sided my precious 2011 848 on its left side. Good news it was mostly cosmetic damage to the left mid fairing, a bent shifter, and busted mirror. I replaced the shifter with an ebay one and thought everything would be dandy so i go for a ride but the bike wont shift up unless i use a lot of force and it will only shift up so far like it "hits a brick wall". It shifts into first fine and neutral. So ive done my research and the consensus is it is either the clutch system or because i dropped my bike on the left side a shifting fork issue. The first thing i do is flush the clutch system but run into the same issue as before so I pop the left case off and discover that everything looks as it should and is not out of alignment. Im not sure what next to try so any help would be awesome. Maybe im just missing something obvious. Could it be the shift rod or something with conjunction with the new shifter? I dont know any ideas before i seal it back up? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Few things to note first… with the bike off the ground (on a rear stand) if you move the wheel backwards and forwards as you try to shift with your other hand, you should be able to shift through the gears. This is a good way to test and make sure there isn't a problem. The clutch doesn't need to be pulled in for this test, in fact ignore the hydraulics exist.

If it still doesn't go into gear, next step is to pull the right side cover off and check the little shifting drum retaining spring/roller. That assembly gets all messed up and could lead to the same problem.

There are a few problems with the linkage you already looked at, so more careful examination is needed for sure.

But those are the only real problems. Otherwise, you're splitting cases and finding bent shifter forks, which is possible, but highly unlikely.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The left case is off and nothing looks out of the norm the notch is aligned with the pin the springs look in tact. I did as you said and ran through the gears still the same problem. First and neutral seem to work fine and its seems like I can get into the the higher gears but it takes a lot of force so much so that the shifter is almost vertical.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, get the right side cover off and look at that retainer roller on the shifting drum.

You can remove that assembly as well and try shifting, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, get the right side cover off and look at that retainer roller on the shifting drum.

You can remove that assembly as well and try shifting, it won't hurt anything.
Is this my only option at this point? Is there anything I can try before I open the right side too? I'm fairly decent with my hands but don't know much about the clutch intetnals...so maybe I'm just overlooking something simple.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good read...but I'm still not sure what to do next. Do you think I should access and replace the spring mentioned. I feel like the problem is on the alternator side...from my readings it seems like a common occurance. Again thank you for your time and help

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea, it's VERY common. You should pull apart that assembly on the left side and examine it. See if you can find the problems mentioned in that thread. Otherwise, you'll be looking at the right side.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
It does sound like a shifter mechanism problem, which would make sense given the fall onto the gearchange lever.

The mechanism you are looking at in the LH case has to be 'centred'. It has a spring which returns it to centre, which has an eccentric adjuster.

But it can also be centred by backing off and re-tightening the two Allen bolts (one 6mm, with 5mm socket head, and one 8mm, with a 6mm socket head).

If you 'work' the gearchange with the mechanism exposed, you will be able to see if it is returning far enough to catch the shift drum to rotate it to the next gear.

There may be some damage to this mechanism stemming from your accident, or you may simply be able to adjust the centring so it can rotate the drum to the next gear in both directions.

Unfortunately you will need to remove the flywheel to do this, and that requires a tool to hold it. I would look a bit harder in the LH side, before going into the RHS (where you will need to remove the whole clutch assembly to inspect the gear-locating roller mechanism).

Good luck.

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
I'm not sure when they switched over to the newer design I'm guessing 2012. I'd suggest getting the service bulletin kit that Charles posted. Mine as not failed since I upgraded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure when they switched over to the newer design I'm guessing 2012. I'd suggest getting the service bulletin kit that Charles posted. Mine as not failed since I upgraded.
Do you have a link? I remember reading something about this but can't find it now. Thanks

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Reactions: 34566

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Awesome thanks for that. The spring looks in tact. The bike does shift into first and neutral. Do you thing I should order the parts anyways for good measure. Also I couldn't find what years the bulletin affected. However the bulletin came out in 2009 so you would thing that ducati would have replaced the items in question for 2010 +

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yes, Ducati did make the change very early on. That's kinda why I'm guessing its the shifting drum retainer spring assembly on the right side of the engine. That's truthfully the next thing to examine because after that, then it's an internal problem.

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Awesome thanks for that. The spring looks in tact. The bike does shift into first and neutral. Do you thing I should order the parts anyways for good measure. Also I couldn't find what years the bulletin affected. However the bulletin came out in 2009 so you would thing that ducati would have replaced the items in question for 2010 +[/QUOTE

.Pop the cover off and give it a visual, if it has slots it the old. You might find something bent, you did say it went down in that side?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update...got all the tools in and got the flywheel nut off but i cant get the flywheel off to take off the shifting fork. Im assuming it just pulls off but it just wont budge...is there a trick to it?

·
Court Jester
12,081 Posts
Do you have a copy of the shop manual?

Workshop_Manual_848

I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a special tool (except holding it) just pull it off. Read the manual section it will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I think has happened is loctite has got under the washer and into to the very miniscule gaps makeing it stuck...I've tried a banging on it with a rubber mallet with no success. Staring to get very frustrated. I just wanna ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.