Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchased a passenger seat cowl for a 2011 848evo roughly 6 weeks ago from Williamsville Ducati, the nearest dealer to my location in Buffalo, New York. Service at the store is always excellent, the technicians are knowledgeable, but I have yet to see the part I'd ordered and am beginning to wonder if the order was actually placed. Does anyone else on the forums have a rough estimate of the timeframe between which a part was ordered from Ducati in Europe and was received on the East Coast of the United States?

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
ha- you got that avatar idea from the sandwich thread didn't you!

oh, and parts, I got small engine parts and some tools from italy in about 2 1/2 weeks but it's really up to the lazy sacks in their logistics dept if they feel like working that day (eurozone failing- mystery solved!) So they are notorious for the get to it when the mood strikes them. For another example the release date fro the 848 evo corse was set for end of november to put a few existing factory parts on an existng platform that was going into it's fifth year of service- the first bikes finally made it last week of february. and you know what sean connery says about moods, they are for women and cattle... (sorry, old movie refference)

for a fair comparison, I get parts from Daimler headquarters in germany when I'm working on mercedes in california at the dealer and it takes about 5 business days. sometimes as few as 3 if I order early in the morning.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I managed to get a shifter in on a last minute order my dealer was putting into Ducati. They guaranteed me to have it in a week or they would pull a shifter off another bike. I was suprised to hear that it could be shipped that fast. But hey i don't care where it comes from as long as I have it when they said I would.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I live just down the road from Bologna (well, more like two hours, in a town near Lucca) and it takes me 2 weeks to get parts!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ordered one for my fiancé last may when she bought her 848evo. It took two months to receive it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I had purchased a passenger seat cowl for a 2011 848evo roughly 6 weeks ago from Williamsville Ducati, the nearest dealer to my location in Buffalo, New York. Service at the store is always excellent, the technicians are knowledgeable, but I have yet to see the part I'd ordered and am beginning to wonder if the order was actually placed. Does anyone else on the forums have a rough estimate of the timeframe between which a part was ordered from Ducati in Europe and was received on the East Coast of the United States?
If the item is available in the Ducati warehouse in Italy it takes 10-14 days to get to the US. Spare parts can be put on urgent order, which takes less than 5 days.

If Ducati didn't have stock it is a different story all together.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
....and yet I called Moto Corse in San Marino (Italy) on a Tuesday, gave them my C.C.# on that day and by friday (2.5 days later) the parts were at my door steps.
It's all a matter of how the business is run, some people like to get customers back and some others just don't!

·
Registered
640 Posts
....and yet I called Moto Corse in San Marino (Italy) on a Tuesday, gave them my C.C.# on that day and by friday (2.5 days later) the parts were at my door steps.
It's all a matter of how the business is run, some people like to get customers back and some others just don't!
There is a lot of factors to consider here. Anyone can get a package sent via next day air from Italy if the sender has the item in stock and the recipient is willing to pay for shipping.

Ordering from someone like Ducati (like the OP's dealer had to do) is completely different than ordering from a small retailer like you did.

For example, Ducati doesn't charge shipping (they do on bikes, but not parts/apparel). Because of this (among other reasons) they don't ship everything the second the order gets placed. They bundle orders, etc... to make it more economical. We've had some orders held for several weeks and then shipped on pallets without warning (I assume because there was a cost savings for them). This causes issues for us and our customers, but it is something we don't have control over. Most of the time it is smooth and the quoted times above are pretty spot on though.

Something we've requested is that they put a process in place to expedite shipping on selected items at the dealers expense. Sometimes we need a part very quickly or a customer does and we would be willing to pay for that (just like you did with Moto Corse). I'm not sure if this will ever happen with Ducati, but we will continue to push for it.

I highly doubt it is because they don't want customers to come back as you suggest though.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
There is a lot of factors to consider here. Anyone can get a package sent via next day air from Italy if the sender has the item in stock and the recipient is willing to pay for shipping.

Ordering from someone like Ducati (like the OP's dealer had to do) is completely different than ordering from a small retailer like you did.

For example, Ducati doesn't charge shipping (they do on bikes, but not parts/apparel). Because of this (among other reasons) they don't ship everything the second the order gets placed. They bundle orders, etc... to make it more economical. We've had some orders held for several weeks and then shipped on pallets without warning (I assume because there was a cost savings for them). This causes issues for us and our customers, but it is something we don't have control over. Most of the time it is smooth and the quoted times above are pretty spot on though.

Something we've requested is that they put a process in place to expedite shipping on selected items at the dealers expense. Sometimes we need a part very quickly or a customer does and we would be willing to pay for that (just like you did with Moto Corse). I'm not sure if this will ever happen with Ducati, but we will continue to push for it.

I highly doubt it is because they don't want customers to come back as you suggest though.
My dealer does the same BS with the bundle up the orders to save $ on shipping, between that and the parts that might or might not be available it's faster to walk to the manufacture directly and get it yourself! (then they get pissy if you order through the internet)
I don't mind spending the extra few $ as I'm sure anyone else that puts an order in in order to get it a bit faster, riding season doesn't last 12 months around here!
Thank God most of us have the luck to own a second bike otherwise if you drop it and wait for parts as might as well take the insurance off for the rest of the year IMO, forget about if you need anything from July to September from Italy!:ahhh:

·
Registered
640 Posts
What was your order number? I'd like to look into your claims.

Right now our average lead time is under 5 days (time from order being placed to when it leaves our shop). That is the average of every order placed since Jan. 1 2012 (thousands of orders). Some orders ship the same day they are placed and some ship weeks later if neither us or a supplier has stock.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Everytime I've ordered from Pro Italia, they have had the part in stock and shipped within a few days. I've always recv'd items within 2 weeks tops. And I live in Canada.
I just wish the shipping rates to Canada weren't so high :( Altho, that is the case with most companies in the states that ship to canada

1 - 18 of 18 Posts