Registered
170 Posts
Ok let's keep the thread going.

Deals Gap

Track Day

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here's a dilemma. Going downhill into a turn and trying to hold onto the bike with the outside knee while also not keeping weight on the handlebars...
Try squeezing the tank with both knees under braking and/or downhill, this helps keep your lower body stable and connected to the bike while also keeping the weight off your arms.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Ok, wouldn't you want to then shift your COG to the inside of the turn and only have 1 knee on the tank?
You can already set up for the corner prior to/while braking, however, you can still leave the inside knee pressed against the tank for added support. You don't need to stick out your knee until you actually turn in.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Ok, wouldn't you want to then shift your COG to the inside of the turn and only have 1 knee on the tank?
Yep you should be setting up Long before you are in the turn. Aa for one knee on the tank, try and get into the habit of squeezing before you have to lean, this way at least the “squeeze” (other knee) is already pressed up to the tank, you will get some leverage.

You have tank grips right?

Reactions: Misti

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Yep you should be setting up Long before you are in the turn. Aa for one knee on the tank, try and get into the habit of squeezing before you have to lean, this way at least the “squeeze” (other knee) is already pressed up to the tank, you will get some leverage.

You have tank grips right?

Yes sir, I have the grips. To me it all sounds like voodoo magic. I must not be doing something right. No weight on the handlebars with both knees squeezing the tank; once I let on knee out then I'm putting pressure on the handlebars.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can already set up for the corner prior to/while braking, however, you can still leave the inside knee pressed against the tank for added support. You don't need to stick out your knee until you actually turn in.
EXACTLY!!!

Yes sir, I have the grips. To me it all sounds like voodoo magic. I must not be doing something right. No weight on the handlebars with both knees squeezing the tank; once I let on knee out then I'm putting pressure on the handlebars.
It's not zero pressure on the handlebars, you still need to hold on and you still need to steer the bike with pressure on the bar, however, you do want to be relaxed and not death gripping the bars. If you find that happening even when you set up early, squeeze both knees against the tank and then let one knee fall out then you may not be as locked on as possible.

Here is something you can try. With the bike set up on a stand practice your BP statically. Lock the outside knee into the tank cut out (try sitting a tad further back then normal
to see if that gets the knee jammed into the tank tighter) from there lift the heel of the outside foot up using the outside foot on the peg as a pivot point to get a more solid press into the tank. These two small movements should help tremendously.

You can also experiment with opening your hips and pointing them into the turn and see if that helps with your lock on. You can practice these movements statically to see what feels the most secure and stable. Once locked on you should be able to let go of both bars (statically) and still remain planted and stable on the bike. Give that a try and let me know how it goes. It's not voodoo magic, it's good technique :D:D:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
EXACTLY!!!

It's not zero pressure on the handlebars, you still need to hold on and you still need to steer the bike with pressure on the bar, however, you do want to be relaxed and not death gripping the bars. If you find that happening even when you set up early, squeeze both knees against the tank and then let one knee fall out then you may not be as locked on as possible.

Here is something you can try. With the bike set up on a stand practice your BP statically. Lock the outside knee into the tank cut out (try sitting a tad further back then normal
to see if that gets the knee jammed into the tank tighter) from there lift the heel of the outside foot up using the outside foot on the peg as a pivot point to get a more solid press into the tank. These two small movements should help tremendously.

You can also experiment with opening your hips and pointing them into the turn and see if that helps with your lock on. You can practice these movements statically to see what feels the most secure and stable. Once locked on you should be able to let go of both bars (statically) and still remain planted and stable on the bike. Give that a try and let me know how it goes. It's not voodoo magic, it's good technique :D:D:D
Were you able to try? :dance:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
Were you able to try? :dance:
I know it’s been almost a year since anyone has posted on here, but I was curious to get your take on staying low and tucked behind the windscreen on the bike. Not so much for the wind resistance, but as a part of keeping yourself in the correct position to shift your body over into turns.

One of the major issues I feel that still plague my riding, is that I sit with my back too straight and upright.

What’s your take?

341 - 355 of 355 Posts