Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings and Happy New Year.

Can you folks chime in advice on best option for adding "spice" to a set of OE Showa forks. Looking for various upgrade options, springs, valves, oil. Not sure what my choices are, and what tried/true combinations work best; granted this is an area of wide topic and personal preference. Are there any full service shops you can ship the folks for rework?

I ride primary weekends on local back roads, no track sessions.
The bike is a tuned '01 748 Monoposta, suspension all stock riding wonderful on Q3s.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Simple re-build and proper re-spring, should do the trick. The valving on the older bikes isn't that far off, they only started doing more radical things in later years. Fork/Shock oil only lasts a few years, it gets corrupt by the spring scraping on the sides of the tubes under compression and leaving little metal shavings in the oil. The shock's oil gets cooked due to heat, so I'd have someone re-build both and go from there!

Happy New Year! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are looking for upgrade, I have a set of 2001 Showa fork for sale. Difference with previous model is that they are TiN coated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

I was curious what direction you went in, did you do anything more then a basic rebuild? if so what modifications did you make and how happy where you with the outcome?

I have the 2001 996 and some old discussions claim that the upgrading the compression makes no significant change on it's own and a rebound modification will yield greater results. that said I see a lot of people selling their old Showa's and that makes me think that saving my money and making the switch to Ohlin's is the final destination and I should not take any detours...

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine is a 2000 996. All I had done for mine was a rebuild using super slick seals and a slightly heavier Maxima fluid.

SKF makes the super slick seals IIRC. Honestly, once set up for me and my 225lbs including gear I can’t fault the stock Showas.

My Aprilia Mille-R has full Öhlins and while those have more feel that can be exhausting.

The Showas seem a little more muted in feel but not vague or anything. Plusher for certain.

I find that a plus in the vast majority of the riding I do as our back road pavement is no where near race track smooth.

A long while back, I had my Öhlins forks rebuilt at Lindemann Engineering when it was still in Campbell, CA.

I had a lengthy conversation with Jim (RIP) about what I wanted done. He actually talked me out of the full on SBK treatment.

There was a significant difference in price between that and what he thought would be best for the riding environment in the area I live in.

He was correct even though he could have just agreed and charged me the extra $400 for something I would never have been able to take advantage of.

The point is, I didn’t need a full on SBK build for riding on the street with an occasional foray on the track.

Jim recognized that and delivered a softer more street friendly set up that I find is still more communicative than I’d like at times.

When it came time for my 996 fork rebuild, Jim had sold his business and sadly, passed away. I was recommended a local suspension guy who rebuilt and set up my forks.

They work better than any Showa forks I’ve ever ridden. The only differences I know about are the seals and different/quality fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All valid points, and I am not questioning the quality of the showa's especially on public roads. I purchased the compression gold valve up grade, and the only feed back I could get when I started taking a closer look at the stack for my set up was one person saying that they felt no discernable change on their monster with a similar but not identical shock, so I was hoping to get some feed back on some truly comparable real world riding. also because it's a base post type set up that requires more time and modification than the bolt type, and frankly I'm lazy at the best of times, so doing the work with not measurable change (riding style, skill, application not withstanding) is something I want to avoid.

Thanks again for your feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts