Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the average number of riders here that use silicone vs normal rubber hoses?

What do you like and what don't you like about both?

I read that silicone hoses aren't suggested because they're more used on racing / track bikes. Because the racers / track bikes always remove parts and silicone hoses are easy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have a set that I will be installing soon before my next track day and will report back after. Silicone hoses can withstand higher pressure and higher temperature, they last longer, are uv resistant, and generally more durable. Some also claim they can reduce the temperature by ~10 degrees. Not sure if that is due to a larger diameter tube or if the silicone acts as a heat sink.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I've never run the silicone hoses, never had a single issue with the rubber ones on any of my bikes. But again, thats only my personal experience.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The OEM hoses after many heat cycles (and age) will eventually start to balloon / bulge at the clamps. This happened on my Middle East spec R1 after about 2-3 years. I went to Silicone hoses and there was no issues wth the bike 2 years later and with the next owner. I run silcone hoses (with rolled edge hose clamps) on my all my bikes, street or track. Never an issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Samco kit on my 999S as well. They look nice, are more durable than the OEM rubber ones and are easier to remove/install (if needed).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm gonna go with silicone coz it's cheaper than OEM and Samco includes all hoses including the hoses attached to the inlet ports to the cylinders.
Is this considered bubbling?

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think I'm gonna go with silicone coz it's cheaper than OEM and Samco includes all hoses including the hoses attached to the inlet ports to the cylinders.
Is this considered bubbling?
The hose in your photo doesn't look bad at all, as you can see that the hose has tried to conform to the rolled edge of the pipe fitting. My comment about ‘ballooning’ is not an exaggeration. When you can't see the hose conform to the rolled edge of the pipe fitting and the hose is getting bigger than that rolled edge, then you have a problem. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but you can only see the ballooning when you have been ridding.
And ridding pretty hard ! Check it instantly while the bike is still running and hot.
(sorry about the spelling and grammar :p)

·
Registered
133 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but you can only see the ballooning when you have been ridding.
And ridding pretty hard ! Check it instantly while the bike is still running and hot.
(sorry about the spelling and grammar :p)
Not in my case. Mine must have developed a memory as they stayed swollen; granted they did decrease in size slightly after a ride :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's another question fellas.
can coolant degrade case sealant liquid gasket?
Such as the threebond 1184?
Thanks to all btw for responding

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thread revival... Finally got around to installing the silicone hoses yesterday. Pretty straight forward job except for the very small hose behind the radiator. That one was a PITA! I'll be giving her some thrashing in the coming weeks and a couple track days in a months time. Will report back if I see any reduction on heat. After 25k miles the OEM hoses began to bulge a considerable amount.

Reactions: Warp Racer
1 - 17 of 17 Posts