Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 2012 848 with only 1400 miles, bike has been sitting in garage for 2 years so I’m told. When I first bought the bike two days ago the motorcycle wouldn’t hold and idle obviously bad fuel from sitting. Pulled the tank drained old fuel, Cleaned up fuel pump and replaced filter. Bike now is rideable and holds an idle but with a catch, when Idling it will blip up for a millisecond just a little blip. When riding at 4K Rpms and prompted acceleration it bogs down thus forcing me to rev it up to keep her going. It’s slowly getting better every ride, seafoam was put in the fuel. Any ideas? Gonna run a few tanks through and see if it clears itself but if it doesn’t what else could it be? It’s practically brand new

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice find re the bike.

It does sound like gummed up throttle bodies or injectors to me but I'm no expert. I've had success before with fuel additives. Usually way less diluted than suggested. My next step after that is stalling the bike out by spraying throttle body cleaner or similar into the airbox with the filter removed and leaving it for a day or two.

Maybe a good Italian tune up might help.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha the ole Italian tune up, I think I’m with you on the throttle body. How would one spray into the air box while running since it’s located under the tank ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good question. I'm only new to my 848 but my other bikes (and outboard motors) I have just removed the air filter and sprayed a big dose into the air inlet whilst running until the motor dies then have left it overnight.

My last vtr 1000 had a few issues so I drained most of the fuel and added a heap of injector cleaner to the tank and ran it until it hit mostly injector cleaner and then stalled it at high revs. I did that a few times over a few days until it started running an idling well. That was a carby bike though.

It may pay to do some research as to what to spray. I've read that throttle bodies and sensors on modern vehicles don't necessarily like some of the old fashioned cleaners.

Maybe one of the inline fuel system cleaners they use on cars.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts