Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I have started to have an issue on my '11 1198 with 17k miles. For some history the sprag was replaced at 9k miles, twice, the engine was blueprinted and all that fun stuff at 13.5k miles at Ducshop (LOVE THEM). At the moment I am trying to prevent having to take it all the way back to Ducshop and give Mark some more money :) Continuing on, I have swapped out the battery with another shorai one, I even swapped the battery with a OEM one from a 1098 that is super strong on that bike and when swapped with the 1198 just turns over or tries to start and then doesn't fire. After a few tries of starting a slew of error codes come out. The following have came out, the injectors are most recent as this happened after I dismantled the battery box cleaned up all the connectors and then put it all back together again.

LAMB 6.1 Lambda sensor error
COIL 10.1 Horizontal cylinder coil error
COIL 10.2 Horizontal cylinder coil error
COIL 11.1 Vertical cylinder coil error
COIL 11.2 Vertical cylinder coil error
INJE 12.1 Horizontal cylinder injector error
INJE 12.2 Horizontal cylinder injector error

The engine hasn't started to make the sound of a sprag going out, however, I am afraid it will start soon. The only other reason I can think of is that there is a short in the wiring harness somewhere. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just checked the ECU connectors to make sure. They look good. I guess its worth saying that it is a Microtec as well. I have also gotten the bike to run, however, it still has the issue like it isn't getting enough power from the battery when trying to start it. As in, it takes 2-3 rolls/tries to start it. If I take it off the tender, it usually takes a considerable amount more tries to get it started, even with the shorai.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem has been identified and fixed..

Two things, First off I have figured out the problem and its easily fixable. The reason there were so many codes is because the battery was killing itself. Needless to say, I went ahead and had the battery swapped out under warranty. I then tried the new one, still had the same issue. I found out through Mark at Ducshop, love that guy, that the battery needs to be warmed up for about 1-2 mins. This is accomplished by leaving the ignition on, I have noticed once the headlights go out, the battery is usually good to go.

Secondly, I have to cycle the ignition on-off-on again, this allows double the initial fuel down the throttle bodies and past the butterfly valves where it can then start to evaporate and create a lovely habitat for the magical spark/ignition I so needingly desired.

The second issue can be fixed by programming the ECU to put a dbl shot of fuel down there, but it can also be accomplished by cycling the ignition as stated before.

Thanks again for the help and ideas fellas, I am glad it got figured out. I also went ahead and ordered a anti-gravity battery as it has a larger CCA rating anyway.

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.