Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good slotted clutch cover for a 1098?

Thanks.
Jason

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
There's so many on the market, it's not so much a matter of which one is good, but more a matter of what style or material you want. They come in aluminum, carbon fiber, stainless steel, titanium, chrome, and so fourth. Some are simply slotted with open holes, or caged, while others have ducati motif designs. Price wise, they'll set you back anywhere from around $50 to well over $200. Although most of the metal ones are built well, some of the "cheaper" carbon fiber units are very thin and prone to cracking around the bolt locations. Some have aluminum or steel inserts within the bolt holes, and although they help, if the carbin fiber around it is still thin, they're useless. Off the top of my head, and brands I have purchased myself include; Cycle Cat, Speedymoto, Road Racing, MPL Tuning, and Ducati Performance products. All of which are top notch in quality and construction. The "Brand X" pieces you see on eBay starting at $1, I would be weary of those.

If you're on a budget, for about $25 most any machine shop can slot out your OEM cover for you. If you have a bench type drill press, you can even do it yourself, although a milling machine would be more ideal. You can then paint to match the cover, or have it powder coated. I know of many people who have done it, and the end result looks quite nice.

If and when you do decide on one, post some pics!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great and informative reply. Anyone got some pix they can post with the name brand of what it is please?

Thanks.
Jason

·
Registered
152 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
And more...

Speedymoto
Rizoma
CycleCat

Very nice collection !!! :yo:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've never had a problem with either or, but then again, I never really ride my bikes in the rain or use them in fowl weather conditions. I do know however the OEM clutch springs will tend to rust out a bit if left wet for a long period of time, so swapping in stainless steel versions is a plus. I have friends of mine whom have clocked well over 15K miles of open clutch use in all sorts of weather, with no problems what so ever. I had similar concerns such as yours when I was first looking into open clutch covers, but after now owning 5 Duc's, all of which running open clutches with no problems, I think its safe to say you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love the first one speedymoto, will they make one for the 1098 id love one.

·
Registered
547 Posts
all of the open covers fit all models, same bolt pattern same diameter.
916, 748-998, 749-999 1098 , monsters and touring models that use dry clutches.

This is the new one from ducati that i'm gonna get, I wont be going slipper of the bat, but i will get the red pressure plate w/ stainless springs it has the Ducati "D" or half circle symbol in the center. yet its pricey at $206 :jerkoff:

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I get also the ducati one... just still debating with my dealer about red inside and black outside or the opposite...

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Desmo Duc said:
all of the open covers fit all models, same bolt pattern same diameter.
916, 748-998, 749-999 1098 , monsters and touring models that use dry clutches.

This is the new one from ducati that i'm gonna get, I wont be going slipper of the bat, but i will get the red pressure plate w/ stainless springs it has the Ducati "D" or half circle symbol in the center. yet its pricey at $206 :jerkoff:
tn_DSCN0803.JPG

HOLY CRAP! Is that Hilter in the backround!?!

Jason

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like:

ducati3.jpg & Mon-2.jpg, what brands are those?

So is the inside of the clutch red then like shown in the picture with the 1098 slotted cover on it?

Jason

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DucatiGuy said:
No, the OEM pressure plate is a plain jane aluminum piece. You have to purchase the fancy red ones....
Where do they sell them?

Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
Visitor Q said:
tn_DSCN0803.JPG

HOLY CRAP! Is that Hilter in the backround!?!

Jason

Oh man good eye, I thought the exact same thing when i was looking through my pics from the show. Thats creepy

·
Registered
547 Posts
The red pressure plate is a ducati preformance part availble at the dealers, im not sure of the price but ill assume its up around the 200 mark. Im sure there may be aftermarket companys that make one for less, but i sticking with the Ducati brand.
I was reading a test ride arctical in one of the sport bike magizines today , and it said that the engine maping is tuned so there is a reduction of engine braking, and the rider was able to downshift hard apoching turns without having the rear tire lock up, if thats the case then a slipper might not be required for hard downshifters.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Desmo Duc said:
Oh man good eye, I thought the exact same thing when i was looking through my pics from the show. Thats creepy
Are you guys making fun about me? I thought its cool that you got a pic with me in the back.... jk... :D

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Desmo Duc said:
I was just hoping I was not too out of line with that thinking it was maybe your friend or even relation! :stopp:

Too Funny!

Jason :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts