Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I apologies in advanced as several similiar issues have been posted in different places but I wanted to throw out my specific situation I am encountering now.

I bought the 08 base 1098 model and it only has 6K on it total currently. Perfectly taken care of and I have service records of oil changes an such. However, after having it now for about a 7 months the bike wants to start but suddenly acts as if its being choked out or missing or something. No smoke or anything unusual, but I have to usually burp the throttle ever so gently to keep the idle going or it just wants to die on me. My batery is new, start solenoid wokrs great, just simply wont idle and then after it warms up to 175-200, I can pull the cl,utch in at a stop sign or red light and it might just die! Then starts up again with a crappy idle and off I go. The best way I can explain how it is acting is, imagine a gas tank full of watered down fuel. Spit , sputter, misses and dies. No engine lights, warnings, accidents, nothing at all.....

So here I go, Can anyone please give me some direction? Obviously the 7500 mile service is coming up but nothing has been done currenly except enjoy the bike, at least until this started happening.

Thanks for the input,
Luke

·
Registered
49 Posts
To some extent, your problem might be similar to what I observed back in May 2012.

My 08 base 1098 with 6900 miles had start up problem. First sign of the problem was when I hit the start button, bike would take more turns then normal to fire up the engine. Once engine starts, revving and the rest of bike operations was normal. Few days later it got worst; hit start button, starter motor did not kick start, just a clicking sound coming from a relay near battery tray. Retry with brand new battery, that did not help. So the bike goes in the shop.

Starting up problem fixed. Shop did the following:
-Voltage regulator recall (covered by Ducati NA)
-Replaced starter motor (covered by extended warranty company)

Bike is currently at 8200 miles, engine still starting up strong.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok, so I apologies in advanced as several similiar issues have been posted in different places but I wanted to throw out my specific situation I am encountering now.

I bought the 08 base 1098 model and it only has 6K on it total currently. Perfectly taken care of and I have service records of oil changes an such. However, after having it now for about a 7 months the bike wants to start but suddenly acts as if its being choked out or missing or something. No smoke or anything unusual, but I have to usually burp the throttle ever so gently to keep the idle going or it just wants to die on me. My batery is new, start solenoid wokrs great, just simply wont idle and then after it warms up to 175-200, I can pull the cl,utch in at a stop sign or red light and it might just die! Then starts up again with a crappy idle and off I go. The best way I can explain how it is acting is, imagine a gas tank full of watered down fuel. Spit , sputter, misses and dies. No engine lights, warnings, accidents, nothing at all.....

So here I go, Can anyone please give me some direction? Obviously the 7500 mile service is coming up but nothing has been done currenly except enjoy the bike, at least until this started happening.

Thanks for the input,
Luke
TPS rest ?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would drain the tank and make sure you have good gas in it. I would add a fuel additive incase you got bad gas and it gummed up your fuel injectors. I would also replace your spark plugs. All of those things are pretty cheap and can be easily done. Are you getting a check engine light?

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Sounds like you need to increase your idle slightly by adjusting your throttlebody screws.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would drain the tank and make sure you have good gas in it. I would add a fuel additive incase you got bad gas and it gummed up your fuel injectors. I would also replace your spark plugs. All of those things are pretty cheap and can be easily done. Are you getting a check engine light?
No engine lights of any kind. I did refuel at a nicer gas station hoping it was just bad fuel but still same issue. It wants to start great and usually does but the idle misses and then it will just due. I can restart with no issue but even when it idles, it will have a miss here and there and just sounds off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you need to increase your idle slightly by adjusting your throttlebody screws.
What should my idle/cold start RPM's be at? Not sure what Ducati spec is and keep in mind I have no exhaust upgrades of any kind so we are talking about stock 08 1098 idle RPM. 1400-1450??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts