Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a 415 mile day trip and something has been bothering me for some time now so I decided to try to get to the bottom of it. When I ride, I keep smelling something that smells like exhaust fumes/gasolin-ish but I cannot determine if its my bike or the guys ahead of me. Seems like fumes should dissipate when the guys ahead are about a quarter mile away but maybe not . . . ? Has anybody else had any issues with certain smells that might originate from the bike one is on?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Have you had the fuel tank off anytime recently? Sometimes a broken fuel connector may only leak a tiny bit, but could be enough for you to smell it constantly.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
bike was serviced just recently, maybe something inadvertently got damaged . . . the smell is more toward fumes than smell of gas though . . .
Exhaust fumes? Maybe oil burning?

Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust? Sometimes those can mask the sounds of an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it does have an aftermarket exhaust. If there is a leak, it may be getting slightly larger? Seems the smell has been getting progressively worse. Very slowly but worse nevertheless . . . how does one go about finding an exhaust leak, especially if its a bit on the less restrictive side? Leo Vince with baffles installed . . .

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi
are you experiencing the exhaust fumes when at a stand still or also out on the open road , I fitted Dan Moto end cans/connectors to my bike (696) there is a bit of a leak around the connection pipes but no smell when moving

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
bike was serviced just recently, maybe something inadvertently got damaged . . . the smell is more toward fumes than smell of gas though . . .
What type of service was it? ..

Its possible that the tech left something loose or accidentally overlooked a detail.

Exhaust fumes could be identifying a leak -

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
valve adjustment, belt change, oil/filter, I believe just a regular service, nothing out of the ordinary . . . . One thing I just noticed yesterday is the bottom part of my custom seat has a 'heat shield' attached, a piece of what looks like aluminum foil to keep exhaust heat somewhat at bay and almost the entire piece came loose, exposing the sticky part and essentially laying on top of the exhaust. I'm starting to think that could quite possibly be the culprit. Having that sticky adhesive so close to some heat could quite possibly result in a smell that I was experiencing. And as I'm riding, there is more heat and the smell probably gets more intense . . . or am I thinking too far here?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I doubt that it has anything to do with the sticky adhesive on the seat.

Shot in the dark here.. but have you checked the rear exhaust header?

Sounds like'a logical place to start and make sure everything is snug -

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rear exhaust header is one of the first things I checked and its all nice and tight. The pad with the sticky adhesive was getting heated by the exhaust as it was essentially resting on the pipe. I think its a stretch too but nothing else seems out of the ordinary and that failing pad seemed the most obvious. Took a short ride today with stock seat on which isn't at all modified and the smell was non existent but the ride was shorter so I need to be able to get out for a longer ride to be able to compare apples to apples . . . Doing a track day on Saturday, that should give me a better idea . . .

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just a quick update on my previous post: Today I found out what was creating that smell I kept referring to. The oil pressure sensor was the culprit. Unfortunately I found out half way into a track day which I had to cut short due to finding out that the bike was leaking small amounts of oil. No sticky adhesive, no exhaust fumes, just plain oil that was leaking out of the sensor and at speed it was getting onto the exhaust pipe which is right behind . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.