Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealership that sold me my 848, and I enquired about mods I was thinking of doing. Theses mods are; speedymoto adjustable bars, 14T sprockets for the front.

The guy I spoke to seemed discouraging. He said Speedymoto adjustables are expensive, and at the end of the day would be pretty much thesame as stock. I'll quote what he said... "If you have a race bike, you cant expect it to be comfortable...".

He also didnt seem all that keen on the 14T sprocket. He said if you're riding out on the street, you won't really notice the difference. Its more for the track if you want more exit speed.

Mind you, this dealership also deals with Harley davidsons. Does this guy know what he's talking about? Or does he speak the truth. I'm really interested in the speedymoto triple clamps for the comfort, but this guy semed to advise against? Whats the go? I've heard good things, yet this guy who works on these bikes is telling me otherwise?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
The 14 tooth sprocket you will most definitely feel on the street. Like a lot of difference.

Are you talking about the speedymoto triples or speedymoto clipons? 2 very different things. The speedymoto triples are really for looks only...I don't believe they change anything.

What's your intent? Different bar angle? Raised bars??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading up on the Speedymoto top triple clamp. I was hoping for a little less pressure on the hands and wrists...

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I was reading up on the Speedymoto top triple clamp. I was hoping for a little less pressure on the hands and wrists...
The best raised bars I ever used, on my 748, were Heli-bars, (I think that was the name).. they raised the clip-ons up about 1.5 inches, a lot easier on the wrists. BTW, there is a big difference between a 15 and a 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket. Rave reviews from street bike riders,..... try a search on this forum.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Trying to get much adjustability on bars on a bike like the 848 is difficult. Things already come pretty close to the faring. You can get a bit but not much.

As for the 14t sprocket. It's a waste. It lowers your rpm's slightly on the street but not enough to make it worth while. It's done to smooth out the lurching that occurs with the v-twin at lower rpm's but all it does is move the problem around. It's a placebo really.

If you want to fix the lower rpm lurching on the street, add a FatFuc or O2 Optimizer instead. HUGE improvement!! I can ride my bike through school zones at 3500rpm's smoothly at 30k/hr.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
I can only say that he is kind of right on the comfort part, but the joy far out ways any discomfort, but he sure is a shitty sales man...

I have yet to do any mods that effect the handling or power of the bike, I have no reason to. For now I'm still improving my skill.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
It's always going to be uncomfortable, even with Helibars and adjustable rearsets (both of which I have). That's the nature of the beast. The theory is when you're flying through sweepers at triple digit speeds you tend to look past that sort of thing.

The 14T is a matter of some debate on this forum. Surely the "best" alternative is 15/41 or something similar instead of going to 14/39, but many argue that you don't need to change gearing for street riding at all. IMO one of the best mods I have is my Oberon 29mm clutch slave.

Reactions: Clyde

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you ride with your arms straight, your going to get lots of pressure on your wrists. Try bending at the elbows a little bit. You need to use more body core/ legs to keep you in the pocket. It feels funny at first, but it helps to releave the pressure.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hammerstime is correct, there is a specific body position and riding technique you need for riding any superbike, which helps considerably. However, a lot of people aren't strong enough to ride that way as it does require a lot of mid-body (core) strength. Plus, even then, the seat is still a piece of cardboard and the rear sets are in the wrong place, compared to most bikes.

Upper triple clamp's and standard clip-on's, won't really help much. With the Renthal adjustable clip-on kit, you can change the angle of the bar, which is nice. However, the reach, isn't that much better. However upon more review, it looks like Cycle Cat is back and their bar risers are awesome: Bar Riser Systems - BR Series Features

But the big things are the rear sets (get your knee away from hitting the fairing and up more) and of course buying an aftermarket gel seat: Zero Gravity Latigo Saddle Ducati 848 / 1098 / 1198 - RevZilla

Anyway, rear sets and gel seat, that's where I'd start and go from there. Now that Cycle Cat has those bar risers again, that's another great idea. These things won't magically turn a superbike into something comfortable, but they will absolutely reduce the agony of riding one of these bikes for extended rides.

Reactions: Clyde

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
It's not so complicated stay lose on the bars and squeeze the tank with your legs, it becomes second nature after awhile

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The 848 is the most comfortable sportbike I've owned since 1986. True story. I do have a Sadleman Gel seat and rearsets as Tuned mentioned. The rearsets weren't a necessity for comfort but they look cool but the Gel seat was a must!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your responses! Yeah, I use my core alot. I can can live with some of the discomfort, but if there are mods that could potentially improve things slightly, why not? Anyway, decided to just leave it stock. Will be considering an Oberon though as someone mentioned. Love the 848EVO. Despite the discomfort, I might even go on a long road trip sometime.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
As mentioned above, rearsets are a very nice upgrade.

I've had Woodcraft on all my Ducati's, excellent product. The factory footpeg are slippery as hell...especially if you hold your weight on your legs and not your ass...

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
I'm 5'7" and find my 848 more comfortable then my '94 CBR600F2, I have 1098R pegs, they have good grip. As for the 14t, I like it and I have remapped fueling and can cruise as low as 3000 rpm. I would say body position and seat time help with the comfort factor. A few years ago I road to Daytona bike week on my friends new HD super glide, a 10 hour ride, after 2 hours I wished I would have took my CBR600F2.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had an 94' CBR and it rode like a Caddi, compaired to the 848. The pretty ones always hurt more to ride:lovebirds::loser:

I got my pegs from Nichols Sport bikes. Nicholssportbikes.com

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Hammerstime is correct, there is a specific body position and riding technique you need for riding any superbike, which helps considerably. However, a lot of people aren't strong enough to ride that way as it does require a lot of mid-body (core) strength. Plus, even then, the seat is still a piece of cardboard and the rear sets are in the wrong place, compared to most bikes.

Upper triple clamp's and standard clip-on's, won't really help much. With the Renthal adjustable clip-on kit, you can change the angle of the bar, which is nice. However, the reach, isn't that much better. However upon more review, it looks like Cycle Cat is back and their bar risers are awesome: Bar Riser Systems - BR Series Features

But the big things are the rear sets (get your knee away from hitting the fairing and up more) and of course buying an aftermarket gel seat: Zero Gravity Latigo Saddle Ducati 848 / 1098 / 1198 - RevZilla

Anyway, rear sets and gel seat, that's where I'd start and go from there. Now that Cycle Cat has those bar risers again, that's another great idea. These things won't magically turn a superbike into something comfortable, but they will absolutely reduce the agony of riding one of these bikes for extended rides.
So "the rearsets are in the wrong place"? The "agony of riding one of these bikes for extended rides"?
More complete mis-information. More negative criticism of Ducati, their bikes and their decisions.
When was the last time you did "extended rides" on "one of these bikes"? Recently? Ever?
A great many folks on here find their Ducatis quite comfortable. Me for one. There is some accustomisation required for riders coming from more upright bikes, certainly, but I can assure anyone who may be put off a Ducati superbike by these horseshit negative opinions that they need not worry.
After 40 years on Ducati sports bikes they have always fitted me like a glove. And 'work' in a cohesive way that most other brands can't come near to.
When are we going to be free of this negative scare-mongering by an opinionated dickhead who hasn't owned a Ducati for years, has little good to say about them, and ruins every thread he haunts?
Yeah yeah - come back with more insults. More accusations of how we are sycophants to a brand that makes rubbish bikes etc.
How we are so rich and don't know anything etc. We've heard it all before..

:mad:

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
Are these fixed pegs or do they retain the fold up of the stock?

I cannot ride a sportbike with folding rearsets...it's been way to long...they feel strange.
They fold exactly like the stocks, you get a new adapter, but it still uses the stock brackets, so they are not adjustable. They are a economical solution to the slippery stocks but eventually I want some adjustable.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
I have them on the passenger as well.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.