Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've gone on the record here multiple times saying I wouldn't buy an 899 unless they made and S or R model w better wheels and suspension. Well, the 821 stripe I ordered last month I don't think is ever coming in since I was promised it's delivery 2 weeks ago and still have absolutely no idea when it will show, if at all....

I've been offered a deal on a 899 that isn't local and Id have to ship it but it's only going to be 1k$ more including the shipping than the monster, which is a pretty good deal.

I just wanted to get away from the full on superbikes for a while since I was litearly doing 130+ down every back road that would allow it and wanted to slow down and enjoy the ride at 70-110 kind of speeds. Problem is tho I will of course be shredding it on the track at least a dozen times this year and having never rode a naked bike, especially w no damper on it im not sure how stable it will be wide open coming onto the straights at 110+ and wobble everywhere in the high speed sweepers.

I'm not sure I can behave on the 899 and still enjoy it but I do know it would be more fun and visceral at a "relaxed" pace on the street compared to my 185whp zx10.

And before someone says just get both, duh.
I just bought an 1190R ktm that I rode 3 times since last month because it's in the shop w a blown transmission/clutch. Don't want to keep adding bikes and I will be buying a new mx bike here shortly as well so I'm really just down to the big ktm adventure r for off road, commuting/shopping and either this monster or 899 for the thrills

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It's hard to have one bike for both track and street. Brands have tried to fix those issues through clever electronics, but the 899 doesn't have those fancy bits OR a slipper clutch for that matter. If you want something for the track, why not buy an older used bike that's already a built track machine? You can get them cheap online if you look around, especially Florida because of all the club racers. Score a nice used 848 or 1198 track bike already built for the price of a new 899. Then you can buy the monster for riding around town, which is the appropriate bike for that purpose anyway. I couldn't imagine having ONE BIKE for many track events AND daily street duty.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
If the bike were close enough to at least sit on, that would help you. Yes they are all the same but they aren't...

Waiting for one you want is one thing, settling on one you think you want you might not really regret but always nag you...

I walked in to look at a 1098, I was about to buy a stealth 848 EVO, sat on the arctic white and she said buy me!

That's my 2 copper.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
This is difficult to answer because it's all subjective. Nobody can make up your mind for you, or at least they should not. Having read what you have posted i would wait for the 821. Nothing wrong with the 899 but you know full well it's not the experience you are looking for in the short term.
I obviously don't understand the problem with the 821 and I don't know the dealer network. If it were here in the UK then a dealer stuck for stock would be on the phone to every other dealer to find what he needs and work out a deal.
The Monster is a great bike and by far the easiest and most forgiving bike in the range. My sister rides on and has tracked the 796 and 821 around Silverstone. She's no Rossi but she loves it.
I'd not be happy with it on a track personally. You get it over 60mph and the wind starts to buffet you, over 80 and it really starts to become uncomfortable. The UK is a windy place so even a long run down the motorway ( freeway) at the national speed limit of 70mph can become a tiring battle of endurance. Buffeting at speed is one of the main issues with this model.
That being said I'd still have one all day, the 821 is a solid engine, the bike is comfortable, it still draws admirers in an urban setting.
Now with regard to your situation I would go to the dealer and cancel your purchase if they are way beyond any promised delivery dates. Don't haggle or compromise. Simply demand any monies already paid and walk away. This will do one of two things. The dealer will shake your hand and part company or they will suddenly be able to find one much faster.
Then go online and go somewhere else. ring all the dealers around you and tell them what you want. Do a deal over the phone and fly/ride to collect. There will be stock in the country.
I know all efforts to get stock to the dealers has been aimed at the Scrambler recently but I also know that on the containers full of Scramblers many, many Monsters also went over. Moto Corsa for example took delivery of quite a few.
Don't get hung up on the stripe, it's just a bit of paint. Get the best deal for the best spec and turn the collection into an adventure. You can add a stripe or anything you like with a bit of vinyl. And you can take it off for resale, which is a bonus.

Only get the 899 if you really want one. It's a fantastic machine but it seems to me you have had that experience and can always have it again in the future. Try the Monster, live a little.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is difficult to answer because it's all subjective. Nobody can make up your mind for you, or at least they should not. Having read what you have posted i would wait for the 821. Nothing wrong with the 899 but you know full well it's not the experience you are looking for in the short term.
I obviously don't understand the problem with the 821 and I don't know the dealer network. If it were here in the UK then a dealer stuck for stock would be on the phone to every other dealer to find what he needs and work out a deal.
The Monster is a great bike and by far the easiest and most forgiving bike in the range. My sister rides on and has tracked the 796 and 821 around Silverstone. She's no Rossi but she loves it.
I'd not be happy with it on a track personally. You get it over 60mph and the wind starts to buffet you, over 80 and it really starts to become uncomfortable. The UK is a windy place so even a long run down the motorway ( freeway) at the national speed limit of 70mph can become a tiring battle of endurance. Buffeting at speed is one of the main issues with this model.
That being said I'd still have one all day, the 821 is a solid engine, the bike is comfortable, it still draws admirers in an urban setting.
Now with regard to your situation I would go to the dealer and cancel your purchase if they are way beyond any promised delivery dates. Don't haggle or compromise. Simply demand any monies already paid and walk away. This will do one of two things. The dealer will shake your hand and part company or they will suddenly be able to find one much faster.
Then go online and go somewhere else. ring all the dealers around you and tell them what you want. Do a deal over the phone and fly/ride to collect. There will be stock in the country.
I know all efforts to get stock to the dealers has been aimed at the Scrambler recently but I also know that on the containers full of Scramblers many, many Monsters also went over. Moto Corsa for example took delivery of quite a few.
Don't get hung up on the stripe, it's just a bit of paint. Get the best deal for the best spec and turn the collection into an adventure. You can add a stripe or anything you like with a bit of vinyl. And you can take it off for resale, which is a bonus.

Only get the 899 if you really want one. It's a fantastic machine but it seems to me you have had that experience and can always have it again in the future. Try the Monster, live a little.

Thanks for the reply. I am hung up on the stripe model because after riding the normal red one last month I enjoyed the bike a lot but know I would hate it on the track without the adjustable fork that the stripe model comes with. That's my only hangup on the bike, it makes as much power as my 749 did which is adaquate but concerned about high speed stability, not so concerned w the wind however, just the short wheelbase of it and lightning quick handeling dynamics that were obviously developed for under 100mph riding

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I would like to revise my post and say balls to it all, cancel everything and get a 1200S :D

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would like to revise my post and say balls to it all, cancel everything and get a 1200S :D
THIS is what I am waiting for. I figure I'll pay off everything else and then in 1-2 years, someone will have one (red with white stripe) with all sorts of carbon/billet/titanium/unobtainable moto-jewelry invested, Termis or Zards, etc who will be "tired" of it and I'll snatch it up for a pittance...;)

:BoomSmilie_anim:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
THIS is what I am waiting for. I figure I'll pay off everything else and then in 1-2 years, someone will have one (red with white stripe) with all sorts of carbon/billet/titanium/unobtainable moto-jewelry invested, Termis or Zards, etc who will be "tired" of it and I'll snatch it up for a pittance...;)

:BoomSmilie_anim:
Welcome to the forum. Glad I prompted you to post :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 1200S still won't be that stable on the track Im worried. I'm the "slowest guy in the fastest group" typically so my pace isn't slow enuff where "oh, you wouldn't notice it, just ride the bike and enjoy"

I'm going to go and take the 899 for a whirl tomorrow along w the standard monster 821 back to back. I've never rode the baby pani but the 1199 I love so I know I won't be disappointed, I'm just worried about the monster dissapointing me and buying the 899 out of fear from the monsters instability on the track.

Ugh, idk, I'm gonna ride em tomorrow and report back if weather holds

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not cut straight to it and buy a DB9S.:rlwhore:

Bimota is no longer available in my country. If it were I would have owned at least one model of there's.

It rained yesterday but dealer called and said my bike finally showed up. Going to head up today and come home w something. I'll make a new thread when i do

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I agree.:)

But does the bastard go..............:)

And I appreciate your opinion - I have read some of your other threads.:popcorn::)
:) Hey, it's got a Ducati lump and I live Ducati so no complaints there. I don't like the look. I'm not a fan of the angular look on sport bikes. All sharp angles and harsh lines. Like the KTM RC8 and the Kawasaki H2. Just too much like a transformer toy :)

It is overpriced, can't get away from that but that's always going to be the case from a small bespoke manufacturer. I'm sure it's wonderful to ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 1200S still won't be that stable on the track Im worried. I'm the "slowest guy in the fastest group" typically so my pace isn't slow enuff where "oh, you wouldn't notice it, just ride the bike and enjoy"

I'm going to go and take the 899 for a whirl tomorrow along w the standard monster 821 back to back. I've never rode the baby pani but the 1199 I love so I know I won't be disappointed, I'm just worried about the monster dissapointing me and buying the 899 out of fear from the monsters instability on the track.

Ugh, idk, I'm gonna ride em tomorrow and report back if weather holds

The standard 1200 Monster is plenty stable on the track so I imagine the S would be at least as good or better. But as a track bike, I'm sure the 899 is better if only due to riding position and ground clearance. The 1200 is pretty exhausting to track due to wind buffeting but it is stable up to top speed (150 mph). It takes a lot of work to get off the side much due to the wide handlebars and terrible foot position. You can make it wiggle moving back into the middle if you pull on the bars under acceleration, but you soon learn not to do that. I went through the same 1200 vs 899 dilemma and ended up with the 1200. On the track I wish I had the 899, but on the street I love the 1200's torque. Wish I could have bought both 😊

·
Registered
100 Posts
:) Hey, it's got a Ducati lump and I live Ducati so no complaints there. I don't like the look. I'm not a fan of the angular look on sport bikes. All sharp angles and harsh lines. Like the KTM RC8 and the Kawasaki H2. Just too much like a transformer toy :)

It is overpriced, can't get away from that but that's always going to be the case from a small bespoke manufacturer. I'm sure it's wonderful to ride.
But you have no idea how much I paid for it.:stickpoke:)

Anyway at my age I was having issues with my previous bikes: 1098TC, 916 SP3, 916 SP1, MV4750F etc. so I needed something I could sit up on and was still a 'Ducati'. The DB9 came up.
Have you ridden one?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts