Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever seen the movie Christine. Well thats what this is kind of like. Ever since going to Austin MotoGP, and Ducati Island I have manged to sweat down the Ducati thing, but not this time. I just cant get it out of my mind. She is working on me.
I started out by doing a track day on my Speed Triple. Nice but left me wanting. I have always wanted a Ducati. Now before you all start suggesting other bikes, I have decided on a 999s. mSold my S3
The reason its going to be a 999s is:
1- Unlike 99% of Ducati fans, I think the 999 is beautiful. Period.
2- I believe for my size the 999 will fit me better than any other Sportbike
3- I do NOT like the 848
4- insurance is reasonable on this bike. Will not pay stupid insurance rates
that have been quoted on 848 evo and 899 Panigale.
5- Am working a very good deal on a 999s that is owned by a real
Ducatisti and has been mainted accordingly. ( New Kevlar Belts)
among other things.
6- price is reasonable. and very well equiped

So confirm or deny the rumors I have heard on this bike.
1- The 999 is the most expensive Ducati to maintain.
2- The 999 is the least reliable Ducati
3- The 999 requires $1000 dealer service every year regardless of miles
4- The 999 is a horrible track day bike.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Because:

1. 1198 is better
2. 1199 is also better
3. it's heavy
4. it's not as attractive (though that's based on opinion)
5. insurance shouldn't be any more expensive on the 848/1198/899/1199, at least not by a significant amount. you may want to try that again, or go to a different company.

Now, from a rational standpoint, those are some good reasons for your question. However, a lot of us Ducati owners did NOT make rational and logical decisions when we got into this, so in the end it all comes down to getting what makes you happy ;)

Reactions: VJ020

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything above the 999 is way more expensive for me to insure. Im with and have been with AMIG for several years. I shop every couple of years and they are always the lowest. Insurance on a 848 + about triples my insurance. No tickets, No accidents, Great credit.

I am sure the 1198 is better as well as the 1199. I do not like the 848 , it is way too brutal a riding position for me. So the 1198 would be the same. 1199 is out of my price range both insurance wise and price wise. Thanks tho

can you answer any of my questions on the OP?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Having not owned each of the superbikes since the 916, I can't speak from personal experience, but here goes:

1. Not sure...wouldn't surprise me, it's definitely not the cheapest. The older Ducatis were a bit finicky...good bikes, but high maintenance...like supermodels :D
2. I doubt it. Ducati's got better as far as reliability with each model. It's probably not as reliable as the 1198 and Panigale models but better than the old 888, 916, 996, etc.
3. Well that depends on what you want to do, and how much work you want to do on it yourself vs taking it to a dealer. Also depends on how you ride, where, etc. Big difference between riding it occasionally on weekends around town or doing a bunch of track days with it.
4. Absolutely false! Like I said, it's heavy, so it's not the best option out there but there are plenty of fast guys with 999 track bikes. Not to mention, the 999R won the WSBK championship 3 times so it has the potential. Now that's not to say that the 1198 or Panigale wouldn't be a better choice though ;)

Going back to the insurance thing, I refuse to believe insurance would be triple on an 848 than a 999. Where are you from? I've never heard of that insurance company. I pay something like $25-30/month on my 1198, full coverage and comprehensive (but no liability). There's no way a 999 would be under $10/month for the same coverage!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
American Modern Insurance Group. Troutman and Associates agent. Full coverage on my GSA and S3 was $415 a year. By dropping the S3 and adding either the 848 or 899 Panigale it would go to just over $1200 a year. Adding the 999 only put its to $495 a year. By comparison when I was considering the new Monster 1200s, that only raised it to $535 per year. You can refuse to believe it but I have the quotes to back it up. My home cars and boat are all with State Farm but they really dont want to touch a motorcycle. Progressive and Geico are more than AMIG

I have been doing a lot of reading on the 999. Anything to the recomendaton to buying a 2005 or newer for better reliability regarding electroncis?

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
My home cars and boat are all with State Farm but they really dont want to touch a motorcycle.
Huh?:confused:

State Farm is probably the single most popular choice on this forum.

Get your 999. There's nothing wrong with them aside from the stupid-looking mirrors and those are easy to take off.;)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Go for the 999. Many people on this forum have them and love them. I personally have not ridden one but would like to. I hear they are good track bikes and they handle well. Depending on where you live, locate someone who'll do the service other than a dealership.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I'd have to agree with Duc....State Farm is a very common one. That's all I've ever had. All my bikes have been insured with them and they are the cheapest I found.

·
Registered
610 Posts
1- Service cost is same as any other belt driven ducati superbike, even though they call for every 6k valve check up you can do it every 7500k, no problems. Yearly services are only hydraulic fluids, coolant every 2 years.

2-Not true, more reliable than desmoquattros with revised rocker arms surface

3- see #1, valves are not yearly services but miles of usage, which is the most expensive part of the service.

4-Not true, its a great track bike, know many people who are super fast and love these models and wont trade it for anything.

Anybody ever seen the movie Christine. Well thats what this is kind of like. Ever since going to Austin MotoGP, and Ducati Island I have manged to sweat down the Ducati thing, but not this time. I just cant get it out of my mind. She is working on me.
I started out by doing a track day on my Speed Triple. Nice but left me wanting. I have always wanted a Ducati. Now before you all start suggesting other bikes, I have decided on a 999s. mSold my S3
3- I do NOT like the 848
among other things.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
262 Posts
3- I do NOT like the 848
among other things.

Thanks for your help.
As a previous 1198 owner and current 999"s" owner, I can say definitively that the 999 is more comfortable for me. I don't have extreme dimensions -- 5'11, 185-190, but the 1198 was just miserable for me. The 999, by comparison, is much better -- adjustabililty, flatter seat that keeps you off the tank. Cost per service should not be any more than any other bike -- some maintenance costs I would expect to actually be lower given how user friendly the 999 is to maintenance, access wise -- very easy to get the fairings off and get down to the working bits. Fluids are to be replaced every 2 years, but not annually. And, like you, insurance costs for the 848 for me were prohibitive -- this might sound crazy but the 1198 was actually cheaper than the 848, and the 999 cheaper still. I presume it's because the 848 is the most readily accessible bike, cost-wise, to the average demographic that causes insurance companies a lot of trouble -- typically you don't see the 999/1198 in the hands of young idiots (that's not to say all 848 owners are punks or all 1198 owners are old responsible men, but on average I suspect that holds up). My first track day is next week -- California Superbike School at VIR -- so I'll have track feedback shortly! My impressions of the street riding so far though are that it's very stable and predictable.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Anyone who would say that, hasn't ever owned a Ducati of previous generations. The 749/999 is a pretty reliable machine. They already have the updated rocker arms, the 749S/R has the tapered collet valve retention system and so does the 999R, which is extremely reliable. They use better crank bearings then even the modern generation's.

There were some electrical gremlins in the 749/999 which caused a few people to call them unreliable. But honestly, the motor is pretty bullet proof. If you don't dunk the bike in water, its plenty reliable. They simply don't like getting wet.

The 05/06 series is the best reliability wise. They fixed a lot of issues with those bikes.

Yea right?!?! WOW, I have no idea how that got into your mind, what an arbitrary number. Service intervals are pretty much every 7500 miles for valve clearance check (which you can do at home) and 15,000 miles for cam belt change. When you buy a used bike and don't have a record of service performed, it may be wise to replace the belts and do the clearance check up front. There is no other service required outside of standard fluid changes.

If you put the 999 up against a 2014 Yamaha R6, yea the 999 is a horrible track bike. But so is the 848/1098/1198, they all have the same issues.

ALL Ducati superbikes need a longer swing arm, a shorter offset front end, a linear rear link, proper suspension setup for the track AND a slipper clutch. Doesn't matter what year, doesn't matter which generation, they all suffer from the same maladies. Mind you, the Panigale is an entirely different bike, which fixes all these issues. :)

But yea, buy the parts, put them on and the 999 will sing around the track. A lot of people prefer the 749/999 body style over the 848/1098/1198 for track riding. Yea they're a bit heavier, but in the long run if you can ride the bike faster, then might as well stick with it.

I personally prefer the 749/999 as a track bike over the 848/1098/1198 because its easier to work on. The fuel tank, seat and tail can be assembled as one piece in track trim, meaning its easy access to take apart. The airbox is a two piece, meaning easy access as well. The long and thin fuel tank is a huge positive for anyone AND frankly, the bike feels thinner then its predecessors due to the narrower diameter tubing.

If I were going to buy a 999 today, I'd buy a 05/06 999R. Send the shock and forks out to get dialed in for my riding weight, put a linear link on it, put 30mm offset clamps on it and a slipper. But the 999S is perfectly fine and its a lot cheaper. I just prefer the R because its a higher revving machine and its got a bit more power. I miss my 749R, to this day, I think it was the best production middleweight superbike Ducati made.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Buy a 1098 they are light, fast, have monobloc brakes and a very good engine. Riding position I found better than the 749/999 and great lights.

Buy the latest model you can afford they get better as the years progress, some people get romantic about certain models, not me I want the best for what I can afford. But only you can decide what to get.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You don't like 848/1098, you can't afford 899/1199, and you want the more reliable bike (than 916/998). Then you must get the 999, there are no other options. Although, I heard japanese litre bikes are reliable, cheap, and comfortable too.
I would still suggest 848/1098 though. They are very good. Very very good. I had 848 and can't complain about the riding position.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I owned a 999R, a 1098s tricolore and a 1198s corse, the 10-1198 are lighter, faster and a joy to flip around the corners but on the other hand the riding position is cramped, to take off the side panels you need a instruction manual and so on.
The 999 seating position IMO is far better since you sit IN the bike instead ON the bike, the 999 is heavier but not all that noticable unless you ride them both back to back.
I loved the tach on the 999, the look of the bullet train and all it had to offer including the power, the insurance was on all the bikes just about the same give or take 20 or 30 $ with State farm, the tank is steel as opposed to the plastic crap, all things to consider....
I would buy another 999 based on my experience.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Let's not exaggerate here on the side panels....sure it takes a few minutes to take a fairing off, but that's because they use like 8-9 screws to hold it in place. It's not rocket science, they just have a few more screws than other bikes.

Also, riding position is something you get used. When I got a CBR600 last year after riding my 1198 for a couple of years, I thought the CBR was very uncomfortable and awkward. But once I got used to it, it was fine....then when I rode the 1198 again, that one felt a bit odd (the disadvantage of riding 2 different bikes). You get used to it no matter what it is. And this whole sitting in the bike vs on the bike is bullshit. You sit ON the bike on every motorcycle ever made...just at different heights, whatever the seat height is, which is not a big difference between the 999, 1198, and 1199.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
And this whole sitting in the bike vs on the bike is bullshit. You sit ON the bike on every motorcycle ever made...just at different heights, whatever the seat height is, which is not a big difference between the 999, 1198, and 1199.
The industry calls the difference in seat heights, sitting "on" or sitting "in". I would say however that your accurate, the Ducati superbikes have always been a bike you sit on. The 749/999 is deceiving because it has a flatter and slightly lower seat. But its really not much lower, maybe an inch or so. An example of a bike you sit in is the KTM RC8.

I also don't quite know why everyone is so concerned about weights. My 749R track bike was 383lb with enough fuel in it for an 8 lap race. Thats pretty darn light, though my friends R6 was lighter. Yea, in street trim, the headlight assembly and stock exhaust weigh a tun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,

I have had my 2005 999s for the last 4 years and have no issues with it.

Great looks (both my own opinion and from mates). One friend has the 1198SP and he still mentions that the 999 looks better everytime he see's it.

Did one track day on it and it was great (not heavy at all) but due to the lower power to weight ratio compared to the 1098 & 1198 for example, its way more forgiving and easy to ride fast. Having said that, I purchased a suzuki gsx r600 track bike because I was too scared of banging up my 999 (road ride).

Servicing is like anything else, I get it done every year and by the book and it costs what it costs (around $1000 AUS). Most of that however is labor (we here in Aus get slugged $100-$140 AUS per hour for labor) and its a 7 hour service. If you skimp on servicing, it will only cost you more in the long run and you wont enjoy the bike anywhere near as much.

It is NOT the most expensive to maintain and because I maintain it and have it serviced, it has never given any reliability problems. In 4 years, I have changed the battery once and cleaned/tightened the battery ground as that did caused a starting issue (because it wasn't cleaned & tightened sooner - maintenance:))

Buy it....you won't regret it :) The bottom line is buy it already maintained and serviced and then keep it maintained and serviced and all you have to do is smile every time you get on it:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm on my 5th 999 and 3rd R. I now have a 2004 fila R. I love the seating position, and plain and simple I'm 6 5 and don't fit on a 1098 and def not a 1199! Lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW! Great feedback guys ! Thank you so much. I have a deal made on a 2005 999s with 10200 miles on it. That is good to hear about not having to worry about the belts until 17500 ( thought it was 12K) I like the subtle improvements made to the 05-06 so backed out on an 03.

Hope to pick it up next week! Have to drive 800 miles roundtrip to get it but its very clean. Hope for the best. Will report back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Size

If you were 6'4" and 270 you would

You don't like 848/1098, you can't afford 899/1199, and you want the more reliable bike (than 916/998). Then you must get the 999, there are no other options. Although, I heard japanese litre bikes are reliable, cheap, and comfortable too.
I would still suggest 848/1098 though. They are very good. Very very good. I had 848 and can't complain about the riding position.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts