Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am currently looking at a number of bikes and would appreciate some advice from a ducati’s owner’s angels.

I’ve been looking at the 1098 and all I can say is looks sweet. The reviews I have read say that the bike is excellent to ride.

The next bike I get, I plan on owning for the next 3-5 years. I plan to continue using this next bike to go to work on (traffic can be heavy at times), and I will average between 13,000 and 16,000 km per year. I will be taking the bike everywhere, work, shops, city and the track (just for pleasure and fun/thrill of it, nothing serious). All bikes are fun to ride imho; each has its pluses and minuses. To me, looks are most important, second is handling/reliability, next is comfort, acceleration/speed is irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

I am seriously considering the Ducati 1098. I have never ridden one and unfortunately I will not be able to get a test ride from a dealer until apparently 2008 if I am lucky. I have never experienced a ride on a V-twin either.

I like the fact that the bike is of a similar size to a typical 600cc even though it has an 1100cc engine. To be honest I consider buying a 600cc version over the 1100c, if they looked exactly the same, the bike is just so beautiful to look at. But what about the riding experience and comfort? Any major difference to other bikes? Don’t bite my head off now, I am I am not a veteran bike ride even though I am over 30, I am green and I know my limitations, but appreciate beauty when I see it. I am asking all this just so I can make a sensible and not stupid decision on such an expensive purchase.

I am told Ducati’s (does this applies to the new 1098) cost a small fortune to maintain and parts are very pricey to replace. Is this true, compared to the Japanese bikes? 20% more is ok 50%+ more expensive may be an issue with me.

Also can you get oggie knobs for the 1098, anything to protect the fairings?

If I don’t end up getting the 1098 I will probably get a ZX10R, does anyone know how it would compare to a 1098 (probably not the best place to ask that) but any help would be appreciated. Is a slip clutch important for the road on such a bike? The 1098 may have one equipped at some later date I am told.

Any help, advice, direction would be seriously appreciated.

Cheers

--Christopher

·
Registered
305 Posts
Get the Kawasaki if you want an all rounder.

Or ...go to www.motorcycledisposals.com.au and get your run around for $1000-$2000 and then get the 1098S for the weekends.

Its like asking could I use a Melbourne Cup winner to pull the milk cart, plough the field and win the race as well.

Yes you can but it will strain it, wear it out and look pretty tired very quickly ...

You can pull a caravan and take the kids to school and go fishing with a Ferrari ...

What you could and should are two different things.

I think you will roast on the 1098 in city traffic, you will flat spot performance tyres and reduce the fine handling with commuting, you will pay premium service for average riding enjoyment.

Ducati's these days are not that expensive to maintain, its a popular myth though. Any bike religiously serviced according to the book is expensive, I guess ducati owners are a bit prissy and we like to keep our bikes 100% tip top shape so when we flog the bejesus out of them on the sundays nothings goes snap crackle and pop !!

Slipper clutch are only important if you race at the pointy end, if you depend on slipper clutches for normal riding you really need to learn again !!

oggies .... do some research there mate... they can make matters worse ... The best protection you can give your bike is to ride aware, ride smooth, ride sober and ride often ..

You won't regret buying a 1098 you may regret not buying a run around to save the 1098 for those perfect riding/track days

·
Registered
22 Posts
The above reply is in my opinion quite correct. I have owned 8 Ducatis since 1975 and they are more expensive to own. I know Ducati claim service intervals of 10000kms however 5000kms is much more sensible. Somehow because of the questions you are asking you really need 2 bikes one a pig for around town and 2 maybe a ducati if you have a passion to own something with a soul.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

Really appreciate your feed back. Espeacially to Yellow900 for the detailed feed back. Been checking out the internet (and will continue to) for oggies "can make matters worse" haven't found anything to reflect that yet. Would only expect them anyway to help in the event of a garage drop (hopefully that will never happen, but be prepared is always my view). And you are right by your comments on "best proctection", agree 100% with you there.

Again, thanks heaps!

Cheers
--Christopher

·
Registered
328 Posts
The 1098 is my second Ducati, my first sport bike, my first bike over 750cc. I can't imagine you would be happy commuting on this bike. It will get you plenty of looks, but it doesn't like to commute in traffic. If your commute is a 40 mile ride through the country with lots of smooth twisty roads, you will love it. The bike is made to run. Perhaps it is just projection but the bike "tolerates" stop and go, but when you really run it that's when it comes into its own. The faster you go, the more agressive you are on it, the more the bike rewards you.

Cag

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Chris

Due to the trellis frame the oggie can compress the frame or worse punch and centre the impact onto one part and damage it more then had the load been dispersed.

A lot of the superbike teams don't run oggies for exactly that reason. I have seen bike slide nicely along a track only to watch in horror as the oggie caught the ripple strip and literally launch the bike.

In my opinion only, I think the best objective analysis from a crash knob manufacturer is Cycle Cat who describe quite clearly the need to build in some "give" to ensure the knob does not increase the damage

From my past experience on the 916 at the track, get a decent swingarm cover (they will always hit the deck and guauge the swingarm) and waterpump cover, I will have a look under the fairings to see what is lurking out the most.

But generally a few sublte protectors that won't create extra risk are the front axle sliders, rigid CNC rear set with Delrin tips (will work as a proxy slider) swingarm cover, and protective layer over any extremely wide engine components

·
Registered
208 Posts
Chris,

definatelly dont get the 1098 if you want to commute back and forth to work. I was in the same boat as you- I always went to work and home on my bike through peak hour traffic and thought I could do the same with the 1098. I've now decided to just keep the bike for weekend runs through the hills and use the car for work.
The main reason is that it runs very hot. I got my bike in April when it was still hot and in traffic it would hit about 105 degrees all the time. Now I was told that this isn't really a problem for the engine but the heat radiating from the engine and under the seat is terrible. I would arrive at work all sweaty and hot and whereas previously I enjoyed my trip to work I now dreaded it. You need to keep moving to keep the heat down and this really causes you start riding a bit dangerously. You tend to run yellow lights and split lanes and weave in and out of traffic just to avoid stopping. You curse every red light and you get so impatient with drivers and that block you and move too slow. 50kmh zones become a joke. When the temp outside gets over 30 degrees you need to speed to keep the heat down. I once rode on a 30 degree day and even at 60 - 70 kmhs the heat kept rising to around 90 and when I stopped it instantly hit over 100 degrees and this furnace blast would just come out. Could you image when it hits the 40's? Now its freezing outside so I welcome the heat but back then it was unbearable. Apart from that there is the issue of the maintenance - dont believe the bullshit about longer service intervals and cheaper maintance. Its still bloody expensive to do something as simple as an oil change ( dealer charged me $350 ) and then I find out that you should do it again at 6000km rather than wait till 12000kms. Oh and while you're doing that you should tune the belts ( more money ). Dont forget that the 12000km service includes valve adjustments so you'll be looking at over $1000. With your high mileage the maintenance bills will be coming in often. Insurance is also a bitch, especially if you will be putting lots of miles on it ( is not too bad if you use it as a weekend ride ).

Dont get me wrong- I love my 1098 and I dont mind keeping it as weekend ride and showering it with lots of love and money but I wont be taking it to work anymore. My suggestion is buy the 1098 for the fun and a scooter to get to work.

G

·
I had a Ducati Monster and it was fantastic as a round town commuter/ track day/ and fun up the hills. Only trouble was the servicing and kms I ran up (60,000 in 18 mths) which devalued my bike somewhat. I bought the 1098 because my pecker told me to, but my head told me not to ride it everyday on the commute. tyres man geez I can't afford to commute on dragons and I dont want to ride this on anything else yet, man they stick. I bought a 1100GS Suzuki shaft drive and put some tapered bars on it and a system, cost me about a grand to get it on the road and get this I put new tyres (bridgestone spitfires) front and back for around $250. Shaft drive so no chain to maintain and as far as servicing goes I just change the oil and filter myself and keep riding until it blows, or I put her under a car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
get the 1098 everyone will look at you when your on it, you will feel the effects of the commute long after you get off the bike, so you spend more of your day thinking of the ducati, same in the arvo 2-3 hours before you get on it you start wondering... will it start? will it get me home? will it stall? will anything fall off? gee my neck still hasn"t recovered from the ride in and my butt cheeks are still killing me but me wrists arn"t to bad now. its this kind of carry on which gives these bikes such devotion from their owners, its the ride on a ducati which no other bike can produce that makes it all worth it. get it dont delay we need more real bikes on our road, too many damn scooters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah they sure did, my long lost brother, and that is the exact model which started the multitudes of people rushing from all directions at the sound of the baby ducati, once the dissplacement increased, gee, so did the folk within ear shot allright, some were even seen to be barreling over older folk just to get a better, louder more "in yr face" experience, and now were all the way up to 1200:s, far out man, that must be the reason so many people go to superbikes. Cagiva eh, i really like the elephant, it really represents ducati presence, strangers love you when you ride a ducati, i know why its an elephant, but can any one tell me why ferrari has a pony and not a proper brumby?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts