Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When they work they are AWESOME. Unfortunately, this is the fourth problem in four months.

First, I had the perfect day planned out. A mean group ride, come home to few adult beverages, Game 5 NBA Championship and MotoGP on the DVR.

The ride was sick, perfect weather, carving corners... it could not have been better. About two blocks from my condo I see in the reflection in the bumper of the car ahead of me that my lo beam is not working. F'ing AGAIN? REALLY?

Long story short, another bad connection. Installer's fault bad connection? Not IMO. The connections are so cheesy I taped them to prevent this type of problem. So, I'm thinking I could be watching basketball and drinking beer, but OK atleast I do not need parts. PIA for sure, but I can manage.

Until now, I guess that I pushed the prong in crooked and bent/collapsed the receiverr? Not too sure but now the prong won't go in.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? It sucks cause now I created a problem with the OEM harness. I tried to peer down in there with a flash light and straighten the receiver gently with a dental tool, but it is TINY and I can not see jack.

Any brilliant ideas on how to fix the receiver would be great. IMO these HID's suck. If I am not mistaken the vendor typed in a thread that these specific connectors would be upgraded and obviously that didn't happen because I just bought them (The HID's.) in February.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
try plugging an OEM bulb in, see if it fires. might be your HID wires...

ps. I've run a cheap $40 set of eBay HID's for 6 months with no issue - same connectors as you're using. only time my prongs come out is when i remove the bulb cover.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
118 views and two responses makes me feel like I should apologize to the forum for posting such a lame thread. So, sorry guys/girls. halcyononon and FallenHero_08 thanks for the advice. Again, I have the lo beam working. That is until next time. I had to insert the prong at an angle, which likely means something inside got jacked up, so if I ever wanted to go back to stock I may have a problem. (The OEM bulb has two fixed, parallel prongs so they HAVE to go straight in.) At least it is working for now. Like I said earlier the lights are priceless when they are working, but IMO to describe this kit as "quality" could not be further from the truth.

·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
There is another thread explain why they went with the prongs. I've never had a problem with them unless I pull the dust cover and forget to double check. There is no room in there for them to vibrate out as long as its in when you put the cover.

On that note I went to track this weekend pulled the head light fuse. Put it back in last night no low beam. Put a meter on it juice was good pulled the bulb and it was blown.... Well they say aprox life is two years, I'm just over two years.

I ordered a replacement pair last night, interesting they say the bulb Watt doesn't matter 35/55.

We will see...

Amazon.com: New Xenon HID H11 6000K Replacement Bulbs - 1 Pair: Automotive

·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
BTW smoke you will see on the amazon set the straight pin connectors. This is standard so they are more universal so it keeps cost down. It has nothing to do with quality. If you were to put a plug on the end, when the bulb goes out you would have to mod it again. You do not replace the bulb when it goes out you replace the bulb/harness. This is why they have that type of connector again nothing to do with quality.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tchase. I always appreciate your input. I am thinking that it is probably a good idea to have a second set of bulbs, for two reasons. 1. To help troubleshoot. 2. So you don't have to wait if a bulb goes bad. Surprisingly the DUCATI dealer in my area keeps them in stock AND has a low price. Imagine that.

BTW I saw your other thread. Nice job at the track last weekend.

·
Registered
66 Posts
has anyone found just the plug that we could solder the leads into, i wouldn't mind doing it on replacement bulbs too. just cut and re solder

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
The bulb connector is available as a generic part (not as a Ducati part - they only supply the headlight loom complete).

It is an H11 bulb connector. I don't have the part number handy, but an auto electrical supplier should be able to source it.

These fail on the low-beam side with the stock set-up - probably due to the heat of being on all the time.

My replacement was black in colour, and has now outlasted the original (white) connector.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
OK - I'm spoiling you now.

Just spent a substantial amount of time looking for the receipt for the headlight bulb connector, and I turned it up.

It is described as a H8/H11 connector, and had the part number ACX2591.

I bought it through Ashdown Ingram, a division of Exego Pty. Ltd. (This was in Australia, so the part number may not transfer to other countries).

But I was determined to find it, as I have been asked this question before.

Best I can do..

:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the effort pat1098. I will check the part number here in Hawaii. It is working fine for now, but I do not like knowing that it is not as designed and could be a problem later on.

·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
I think I get my threads mixed up. My low beam went out a while back. I got over 2 years on the light (high beam still going) but I was over 20k miles and for run time that's about right on HID bulbs.

Having said that the replacement I found on amazon 2 for 11 bucks! Came with the OEM plug!

Might as well buy these for the price.. I've been ruining it for I think a few months and around 3k miles still working. And now I have a backup.

New Xenon HID H11 6000K Replacement Bulbs - 1 Pair by eBoTrade-Tech

·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
I can't get the link to work so search description on amazon if interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried 3 different sets of HIDs on my '10 848, eventually gave up and just went with some nice bulbs... they actually work and look almost as good. Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well I finally got a new kit back from Gotham. I'm happy they warranted the kit, but during the same time that my kit was being sent back, I ordered these as a replacement. I was skeptical as soon as I saw them because they look exactly like the kit that Gotham sells for 180. I ordered them because my wife's car has H11 as well, so I might as well do a Comparison. What do you know, they are Identical. I am positive that gotham either uses this exact kit, or sources them from the same supplier. Even the bulbs I was sent from gotham are exactly the same with the same stickers. If you want to severely overpay for a set of HID's, I guess you can use gotham, they do laser the slim ballast with their "limited edition" logo...

H11 H8 H9 Fog Lights JDM Bright White 6000K Slim Ballasts HID Conversion Kit | eBay

·
Registered
66 Posts
even VLED.com states Those LEDs are just for looks, not so much for light. according to their site:

"These bulbs are designed for aesthetic purposes only. They are a great match for HID headlights but not intended to be used as a primary source of light. "

·
Registered
294 Posts
even VLED.com states Those LEDs are just for looks, not so much for light. according to their site:

"These bulbs are designed for aesthetic purposes only. They are a great match for HID headlights but not intended to be used as a primary source of light. "
Depends on which ones you go with. I went with the ones that come with a ballast and alot of the 1199/899 guys run them too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts