Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. When I was cleaning the chain I noticed that the rear wheel is spinning lob sided as if the rim is bent. Granted, it's on the rear stand but let me know what you guys think. Should I be concerned?

Link to the video is in the next post.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Are you sure the wheel is mounted on the axel properly? I'd first pop the rear axel nut off and make sure it hasn't moved for some reason. Then re-mount and try again. It absolutely does look like the wheel is bent, but unless you had a serious accident, I can't imagine that happening. Absolutely under no circumstances, ride the bike the way it is right now, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate both of your responses. Is there a way to verify motorcycle history. I am a second owner and wouldn't know if it was wrecked. I did have a small spill where the bike tipped on its left side at no more than 5 mph

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Oooh so you're the 2nd owner?? In that case.....it's possible whoever had the bike before you either crashed the bike or perhaps had it hit from the side at the back. The wheel could possibly be straightened but easier to source one off Ebay. The wheels are great at taking straight on loads but come at them from the side and they can be bent.

How long have you owned the bike and this is the first you noticed the bend??

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oooh so you're the 2nd owner?? In that case.....it's possible whoever had the bike before you either crashed the bike or perhaps had it hit from the side at the back. The wheel could possibly be straightened but easier to source one off Ebay. The wheels are great at taking straight on loads but come at them from the side and they can be bent.

How long have you owned the bike and this is the first you noticed the bend??

I've had the bike since May. It's a 2012 SE. I just noticed it a few weeks ago when I was winterizing it and decided to change all of the fluids and clean/lube the chain. If the bike was indeed crashed, wouldn't I be able to get a report on it? When a bike is crashed, do shops etch or stamp where the bike sustained damage? I noticed letters VC on the left front fork

Don't know how much force it would take to bend it but could potholes be the cause of this?

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
A sideways hit could bend it like it is. Say the previous owner has it parked at the local coffee shop, some one is backing out and backs in to the rear wheel from the right side. The kickstand could possibly create enough resistance to bend the wheel before the bike is finally knocked down. Owner finds bike laying on side and doesn't notice or realize how it went over. Fixes scratches and sells bike.

If the owner didn't know who did it and fixed it himself, no claim no record of it all. This is all hypothetical of course.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yeah that's not right at all. Did it not feel odd at all while riding it? I'd take the wheel off and inspect it properly...maybe even take it someone that has a wheel balancer. If the wheel is bent, I'd get a different one.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah that's not right at all. Did it not feel odd at all while riding it? I'd take the wheel off and inspect it properly...maybe even take it someone that has a wheel balancer. If the wheel is bent, I'd get a different one.
It doesn't feel odd riding it at all. Love the crap out of the bike. I think I might just look for a new wheel and play it safe anyway. Appreciate the help guys. My concern now is whether or not there might be any additional damage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
might not be the rim. the hub has bearings and if something is wrong in there or worn out that would give you some play. Give the wheel some arm muscle like youre checking for loose ball joints or wheel bearings. see if you get some play. The rim is pretty easy to check for damage.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
might not be the rim. the hub has bearings and if something is wrong in there or worn out that would give you some play. Give the wheel some arm muscle like youre checking for loose ball joints or wheel bearings. see if you get some play. The rim is pretty easy to check for damage.

I'm not as mechanically inclined as others. My thought would be to replace it. Do you have any thoughts on having two different rims front and rear. (I.e. Replacing stock Cast Enkei with a Cast March or even forged) then down the road getting a matching front?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Got a paid vin check and no record of accidents, everything checks out. How durable are these wheels? From my experience with cars, pot holes can easily bend the rims.
The OEM wheels are extremely strong, they can withstand quite a bit of abuse. Heck, I had super fragile magnesium wheels on my race bikes and after crashing them repeatedly, only had the lip get bent on one of them. So whatever it took to bend that wheel was absolutely brute force.

My thought was a canyon ride low side and the bike slammed into a wall. Since there was nothing preventing the owner from riding it home, they did so and fixed it up. If you report accidents like that to the insurance company, it will show up on your driving record and you will most likely pay more for insurance.

Unless the wheel isn't properly aligned on the hub… it is most likely that situation in my opinion. Cleanliness in usually dirty areas of the bike, is a sign and something to look for when buying a bike. Exhaust's are a great place to start looking, if the silencers are clean like a baby's bottom all the way around, that's a good starting place to understanding what actually happened as they are NEVER clean all the way around.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The OEM wheels are extremely strong, they can withstand quite a bit of abuse. Heck, I had super fragile magnesium wheels on my race bikes and after crashing them repeatedly, only had the lip get bent on one of them. So whatever it took to bend that wheel was absolutely brute force.

My thought was a canyon ride low side and the bike slammed into a wall. Since there was nothing preventing the owner from riding it home, they did so and fixed it up. If you report accidents like that to the insurance company, it will show up on your driving record and you will most likely pay more for insurance.

Unless the wheel isn't properly aligned on the hub… it is most likely that situation in my opinion. Cleanliness in usually dirty areas of the bike, is a sign and something to look for when buying a bike. Exhaust's are a great place to start looking, if the silencers are clean like a baby's bottom all the way around, that's a good starting place to understanding what actually happened as they are NEVER clean all the way around.

I bought the bike from a car dealership (red flag), the bike had 2k miles on it with very clean slip-ons on it. Hard to believe because the bike was in perfect condition.

I'm going to look into realigning the wheel, maybe that's the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1. Yes, bent. Hub tracks straight, outer rim doesn't. Bent.

2. Please, people, don't put so much stock in different accident reporting companies. There are a _ton_ of little accidents that never get reported. Even the ones that are, don't always make it to the reporting company.

As a side note. There a bunch of shops that use a flammable fluid to set the bead on the rim when they mount the tire. It's just very easy to do. One guy put too much (it was a car tire/rim), and when ignited, it didn't just seat the bead. It made the tire/wheel jump up about 10-12 feet into the air!

My suggestion, ride the bike @ about 10-15 mph on a very good, level pavement. That's when you should really feel the shimmy. It'll tell you for sure. Also, the shop manual should have a runout tolerance for wheels. With a dial indicator, you should be able to actually measure, but it looks really bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.