Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people spin their bikes on the side stand?

Being vertically challenged, it's easier for me to pull into a spot and then spin the bike around rather than trying to back it in or out on my tip toes.

How strong are our stands? I've only had one motorcycle stand give way (Buell Firebolt XB12r) and that was from loose bolts holding the stand to the frame.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
"Loose bolts holding the stand to the frame"

I wonder why that was.

Now have a look at the stand on the ducati. What's it bolted to? What's it made out of? Not pig iron I can assure you.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I remember reading posts seeing cracks from regular use let alone spinning the bike on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Loose bolts holding the stand to the frame"

I wonder why that was.

Now have a look at the stand on the ducati. What's it bolted to? What's it made out of? Not pig iron I can assure you.
If you knew anything about the Firebolt you would know that the pivot bolt failure was a common issue. So much so that there was a recall on it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Always back into a spot....it's easier to see cars coming your way when pulling out than backing it's just safer

Same for cars. You are able to see all traffic, kids, pets and surroundings as you arrive somewhere to park. Depending on how long you've been parked the environment may have changed. Always safer to back into parking spaces in any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I first saw this done back in 2002 when I started working for the Ducati Dealership (Where I broke all of their sales records on specifically Ducati's!) lol

When i saw it done by another Sales Rep I couldnt believe what he was doing, and then over time I started doing the same thing with floor bikes, and eventually my own too. It seriously helps move bikes around MUCH faster and I have yet to have anything bad happen at all when doing so. Therefore, (Knock on Wood) I will keep doing this act and keep moving the bike this way until something happens! :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have never heard of this and when i first started reading this forum i thought you guys were meaning spin the back tire (burn out) and use the kickstand as the fulcrum. i was reading the forum with my jaw dropped haha. last post made me think i must have misunderstood talking about doing it in a show room ha.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
I have encountered what happens when you spin a Ducati on the sidestand a bit too much. When you ask a customer if they spin their 848 on the sidestand, have them reply yes, then watch the look on their face when you tell they they now have hair line fractures in the lower engine case from this practice and can either get new engine cases and rebuild the engine, tear down the engine and have a competent welder fix the case and hope it doesn't warp while being fixed or get a decent used engine.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
If the kickstand is connected to a frame things might be different. But I'm on my 3rd engine and I've taken the bolts off many times that connect the stand to the engine case. It would be a very bad idea to do this in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
Yep....exactly. I spun my Gixxers all the time. Yamaha too and even my Kawasaki but they all had the sidestand connected to the frame which flexes more than an engine case and made of different material. I've seen a guy bust off a kickstand on a Kawasaki. That was exciting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Spot on [email protected] Japanese bikes are ok or any bike as long as the sidestand is connected to the frame. I heard a story that there are many expensive repairs done in the Ducati Dealership due to crack in engines brought about by spinning with the side stand. Some maybe lucky not having it...yet, but I'll stick with the back and forth maneuver even though I am also vertically challenged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.