Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 ducati 1098 16,000 miles.

so the first time came out of the blue...made the chunking sound. i was stuck way out in the middle of no where and kept hitting the starter trying to get it to stop jamming. once home i replaced the sprague with a new OEM BUT i cheaped out and only replaced the sprague itself as the surfaces looked decent on the flange and flywheel. the sprague was in pieces this lasted about a year.

then the clunking noise came back.Opened her up again the spring had gone and the pieces were all loose. I tried the stealing the spring off a the oil gasket and no luck..it broke and same symptoms.

So...i bought a new flange, new gear drive, new sprague from gotham, a new larger CC battery ytx14. This lasted November 2014 to the other week....approx 4000 miles....

so now i dont know what to do...i cant keep dumping money in this damn problem as im replacing practically everything. could it by the flywheel?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope. but i did have the crank balanced with Fox Performance during the rebuild. thats the only modification to the engine itself i have done.

·
Registered
979 Posts
theres a good will warranty item for 1098's on the Sprague starter gears, they have a upgraded kit they use to replace it, mine never broke on my 08 1098S but dealer told me about it

-Carbon

·
Registered
34 Posts
I replaced only the sprag, and it failed again not long after. Then I replaced the sprag, the flange, and the gear, and put in a high cca lithium battery ( and a home wiring upgrade, electronics is a hobby), and no worries now (this was about a year/ a year and a half ago). I now nolonger wonder if this time it won't start!

·
Registered
979 Posts
So the slow fire up (kicking over of the motor) is something that could be fixed?
yeah get a better battery, the stock battery is such shit, once i got my shorai i never had a issue cranking bike ever again. mine was also servo assisted as it was a 2008 1098S, i do miss that, press button once and it did everything for ya

-Carbon

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quack what was the outcome of this. My starter system on my 1198 has caused a >$3000 repair bill. Fingers crossed that warranty company will take care of it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I just replaced my sprag assembly on my 998, parts for the 3 components was $500AUD, labour is only 1.5 hours
Japanese quad bikes suffer this same problem often due to stop starts.
I would call it a Ducati weakness, so it pay's to keep, battery, cables, connections, relays etc in good order at all times, and try to avoid short trips to Starbucks :)

Craig

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Outcome is good. I went on a boat battery custom cable and bought all new 4 gauge wire for about 20 shipped. This makes my starts almost instant as opposed to 3-6 revolutions. I put all new parts from ebay and a new 14yt battery.. Starts like a champ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How the heck does this happen?

I replaced the sprag gear and bearing last fall. after 500 miles I got a god awful grinding and clanking when starting. Got it started rode it home and took it apart. Sprague gear itself has 14 sheared teeth. GONE. What in the world would cause that?

·
Registered
270 Posts
You had the crank balanced, you're having repeated issues with an oil fed component. I'd question if debris from damage or milling was restricting oil feed throught the crank or case cover.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.