Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why no registry site for things like my dear little 160 and the so sweet 860? Got a good story for each of them. The 160 is the very bike that launched my motorcycle habit a very long time ago and the 860 is my most recent fix. My Ducati path began as a kid of 14 or 15 when I saw a beautiful little 160 at the garage where my father was getting some parts for my old Simca . I wanted it sooo bad, but my father said no. Skip a few decades and while searching for a Ducati project along about 1998 on a Ducati classified web site I see an ad for a 250, a 350 and a couple of 160s, in my old hometown of Carlsbad New Mexico. I call and make the deal and off I go to take my mother to visit her niece, who still lived there, and pick up the Ducati stash. Got my son to go along and help drive the old transporter, 42ft motorhome gutted and turned into the worlds largest two door hatchback. We get there and much to my delight it is the 160 I wanted so much as a kid. The 250 and 350 are long gone but the 160 is in my garage and will stay with me till I die, unless one of the grand kids can talk me out of it. How did you get into Ducati? Last summer I finally gave up on my quest for a 750 GT and settled for a 916, only to have an 860 GTS fall into my lap. Good things happen if you live long enough.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I've had a bunch of bikes...went thru the usual suspects in the Japanese lineup, CBR, GSXR, etc. The Honda RC51 caught my eye and I bought one. Had it for 6 years, loved the V-twin! Then I became smitten with MV Agusta, had 3 of those...I was always turned away from Ducati because of the dry clutch. The last MV that I had was a Brutale. I hated that bike and went and test drove an 848 Streetfighter. I didn't like that bike either but considered it because of the wet clutch. After coming back from that test ride the sales manager tossed me the keys to his demo...a 2012 848 Corse. Within the first 100 feet, I knew I was buying that bike. It was a bit of my old RC51 and Italian charm, what a machine.

I like to say my MV Agusta Brutale sucked so bad it led me to the best bike I've ever had :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
How did you get into Ducati?
My best friend and I were sitting at a traffic light in my BMW M Roadster with the top down one summer. We heard a racket coming from behind us, sounded like some crazy machine. I asked my friend what kind of bike it was, he kinda looked and told me a Ducati. At the time, I had no idea how to ride a motorcycle, or what Ducati was.

Few months later after building a race car and failing to be successful at racing due to car failures, a bunch of my friends talked me into getting my motorcycle license. I figured it would be a great opportunity to race on 2 wheels, in my naive state of mind, there was no way roadracing would be more expensive then car racing.

Three years later, I just wrapped up my first full-year of club racing with two expert championships on a Ducati. I had fallen in love with the "classic" superbikes and had three in my garage at the tail end of that season. Back then, the bikes were great platforms to build race bikes. It's like someone at the factory purposely made them this way so us racers could ENJOY working on them. It was that mechanical connection that kept me riding Ducati's long after my first one blew up.

I was constantly picked on for my choice of racing Ducati's. I tried to show people, explain to them what made these bikes so special, but people didn't get it. To them, they'd rather not touch the machine mechanically until it blows up. To me, I'd rather have a platform which is easy to work on so when something does go wrong, it's an easy fix since I know it inside and out.

In hindsight, perhaps it was stupid to race Ducati's. Perhaps all my compatriots were correct, the bike did hold me back a bit due to mechanical issues during the very long racing seasons. However, in my mind… being able to race a bike similar to that of Troy Bayliss (my racing hero) was worth the price of admission. I only got one chance to be successful at roadracing where the stars aligned and I made it happen. If I had squandered that chance on a Japanese bike, it wouldn't feel the same. Having done it with a Ducati and an OLD ONE at that, was really rewarding.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just always liked the looks of them. And up until recently, the guys that rode the Italian super bikes weren't so reckless/ratchet/hoodlums. I like to ride by myself or with a small group. The whole interstate bursting at triple digits inst for me. I had a GSXR 600 and loved it but it drew alot of attention from people I didn't want to hang around with and dirty looks from the public for being "one of those". I sill like the Jap bikes but having something that isn't so common seems so much more RIGHT for me. If I tracked or raced, I would be all over a 4cyl Jap just for the easiness of maintenance and cheaper parts. But I currently dont do any of that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love vintage bikes!!!
This was my first street bike- I still have it as well

But I love the simplistic look of the naked bike. I wanted something a bit more reliable, so I ended up with a Monster 620, then S2R1000, then 66 Scrambler 350, then 998, then 1198 :)

So I kinda love a variety! But I still have the Scrambler, S2R1000 and 1198

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I love vintage bikes!!!
This was my first street bike- I still have it as well

But I love the simplistic look of the naked bike. I wanted something a bit more reliable, so I ended up with a Monster 620, then S2R1000, then 66 Scrambler 350, then 998, then 1198 :)

So I kinda love a variety! But I still have the Scrambler, S2R1000 and 1198
:lovebirds:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hard to believe it's almost been a decade with this two wheeled love affair. For me, it was sort of a whim. I had been thinking about a fun, fast bike for a bit and a friend was selling his.

I rode the piss out of it all over Montana, including a track day at Pridmore's STAR School down in Pahrump, NV, pictured.

Sold it for what became as the Orange Monster:

Rode the piss out of this one all over Montana, again, including yet another STAR School, this time down at Miller.

Then, got out of scootering for a spell. After too much time passed, I popped for a bike I lusted after for years:

I hooned it relentlessly, modded it and bought all sorts of shiny bits for it. I even took it on a few multi-day trips:

After realizing that I loved touring and the freedom that came with it, I sold the Speedie.

All the while, I finally finished building this with a friend:

Can't identify the bike? That's ok, most cannot. It is '76 Kawasaki with a Ninja front end, 17" Excel wheels, a lengthened and widened swingarm and a raft of other naughty bits. (She's for sale if you're feeling saucy.)

Then, a friend let me take his ST4 out for a weekend with the ladyfriend:

After that, it was all over. I knew I needed a Ducati and one with which I could tour. A Multistrada 1100 S quickly followed, and my Streetfighter 848 joined this past December.

Man, I love motorcycles!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I've been wanting to take a long test ride on a Multi lately....

Hmmmm....my girl would love it!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was in high school when the 916 was released and immediatley began lusting over Ducatis. At the time I had my first bike already, a CB250 Nighthawk. I had a couple of 250 Ninjas and a CB-1 before getting my first "big" bike, a VTR1000 Superhawk. I fell in love with the V-twin engine and eventually upgraded to an RC-51, but still was dreaming of someday getting a Ducati. There were a lot of other bikes that passed through the garage along the way, but finally I got an 848, then later a Monster 796. Now I've got the Hyperstrada for a daily rider type bike, and the Panigale for a once or twice a week fun bike. I'm super happy and love what's in the stable now. I'd like to get a Scrambler but my dad has a bunch of bikes at my place, including a Triumph Bonneville that I can ride anytime, so I can't really justify that at the moment, and my wife says I have too many bikes already (5 including the dirt machines).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My uncle had an old bevel.. Use to give me rides when I was a young one.. Loved it..
At Laguna in '88, I was fortunate to go riding with some fellas down the coast for a bit.. And rode an '86 F-1..
Hooked I was.. Boughty first Ducati in '91..
Have owned a few, and still love it.
Though, I ride my CBR a lot these days.. I still enjoy taking my 999 out for a nice Sunday sprint..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.