Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I have a 2003 ST2 that has stopped running. I was on a ride, then it missed a couple of times, backfired then stopped. I have checked fuses & relays but there is no spark.. I would take it to a mechanic but thats a 1500km round trip.. Any ideas on where to check next.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Wiring perhaps. Sounds like something could have rattled off or shorted.
Check connections for cleanliness and fit and general rubbing of insulation.
Check all your battery connections and grounds. Start at the battery and leave it disconnected just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
A bad crank rotation sensor, gap or wiring would tell the ECU the bike's not running and consequently to stop fuel pump and spark. A bad ECU ground or connection to the ECU is also a possible culprit.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Your symptoms are incomplete... but I will vote..

Bad battery, collapsed cell and charging system fubar. Needs a regulator and battery.

it stopped really doesn’t tell us diddly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has all electrics working except spark. Battery is new & charged, I have checked relays, fuses & wiring. Fuel pump is working, all lights etc. working..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bad crank rotation sensor, gap or wiring would tell the ECU the bike's not running and consequently to stop fuel pump and spark. A bad ECU ground or connection to the ECU is also a possible culprit.
Fuel pump is working.. all electrics except spark..

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
So it cranks away happily without catching?
Side stand switch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cranks happily & doesn't have s/stand switch. complete fairing is off now, all wiring looks good...everything working electrically except spark..

·
Registered
S4
54 Posts
A. Have you pulled a spark plug and visually checked that there is no spark?
B. Just because you hear the fuel pump doesn't mean you're getting fuel through the injectors.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
A. Have you pulled a spark plug and visually checked that there is no spark?
B. Just because you hear the fuel pump doesn't mean you're getting fuel through the injectors.
There’s a good thing, very prone to the fuel line failure inside the tank, pop the fuel cap and switch the key on, listen for odd sounds Or bubbling. .. don’t use a match to look inside. ( just in case you’re in kalgoorlie or mt magnet)

Reactions: cb4265

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fuel pump will prime but not continue to run if there is no crank rotation signal to the ECU. If it's not the sensor, then it's likely the ECU — or its connectors — or ground.
yes, best suggestion yet.. I'm sus on the crank sensor or something that signals the ignition.. I have a timing light to check for spark & I'm sticking with that to signal spark.. I have the workshop manual & I'm concentrating on page 220, electronic control unit & engine sensor... If only I had a mathesis tester..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello , I have a 2003 ST2 that has stopped running. I was on a ride, then it missed a couple of times, backfired then stopped. I have checked fuses & relays but there is no spark.. I would take it to a mechanic but thats a 1500km round trip.. Any ideas on where to check next.
Voltage Regulator, Ducati’s are known to have problems with the regulator.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes, best suggestion yet.. I'm sus on the crank sensor or something that signals the ignition.. I have a timing light to check for spark & I'm sticking with that to signal spark.. I have the workshop manual & I'm concentrating on page 220, electronic control unit & engine sensor... If only I had a mathesis tester..
Voltage Regulator, Ducati’s are known to have problems with the regulator.
Crank sensor is the #1 possibility. Take it out and see if the part inside the cover is pregnant. They can get so big that the shims won't come off. If it's at all swollen get a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar situation. On a long ride, occasional backfiring and missing. So I turned around and headed home. Kept RPMs up because barely ran at lower RPMs. Then tach started reading very low and turn signals wouldn't light. Made it home by keeping the revs over 5K but would backfire, miss, etc. Battery (new battery) read about 11v when off. Charged battery and the bike started and ran ok in garage. Figured it was a rectifier or regulator so pulled and tested based on simple voltage/resistance/diode checks. All checked OK as did the alternator output. Had battery load tested and it was OK. Cleaned rec/reg connectors, alternator connectors, and battery leads. Put it back together and added a volt meter. Has been fine since. Still keep a close eye on charging voltage while running (runs ~13.8v - 14.1v). Not much help here, but gets my post number up!

r-

Tom C.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
ST2 I repaired recently with similar misfire issues turned out to be a bad TPS. Ran poorly and misfired at low RPM/small throttle opening but ok at bigger throttle openings. After replacing it I opened up the old one and the carbon strip was all torn up inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thx all... I've removed the crank sensor, which was extremely tight. I am ordering a new sensor & hoping that will fix the problem..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thx all... I've removed the crank sensor, which was extremely tight. I am ordering a new sensor & hoping that will fix the problem..
Yes.. fixed.. the crank sensor has been replaced & its fires up, runs & now to refit fairing etc.. Thanks all contributors to this thread... Vroom Vroom..:)..:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts