Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear ducati enthusiasts,

I've been looking for some time for my fist ducati, to build a cafe racer of. I want the mechanics to be in shape, but otherwise I'm not so picky. Was first going to go for a SS, but have now changed my mind, and I'm looking for a nice ST4. I'd like the extra power of the 916 engine, and some builds of the ST-series are just awesome.
Now I found a good (cheep but a failry good looked after specimen), with supposedly 58k km (odo-meter has been changed). The only consern I have at the moment with the bike from a brief look and test drive with it was that it has some oil that has been dripping at the crankcase ventilation system (see attachment). The oil isn't dripping, but the area near the vent is wet.
Is this something to be conserned about? What could be the problem, and is the engine near the end of it's path, or is it normal for duc's to do that?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
can't see a lot to worry about except the rear brake fluid is low.. maybe pads are shagged.

monitor as you're stripping it down anyway.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My Desmodue had the same issue - small puddle around the base of the crankcase breather. I replaced it and the oil hasn't come back. Have heard that its common for them to break when removing, but mine came off with no problem.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Dear ducati enthusiasts,

I've been looking for some time for my fist ducati, to build a cafe racer of. I want the mechanics to be in shape, but otherwise I'm not so picky. Was first going to go for a SS, but have now changed my mind, and I'm looking for a nice ST4. I'd like the extra power of the 916 engine, and some builds of the ST-series are just awesome.
Now I found a good (cheep but a failry good looked after specimen), with supposedly 58k km (odo-meter has been changed). The only consern I have at the moment with the bike from a brief look and test drive with it was that it has some oil that has been dripping at the crankcase ventilation system (see attachment). The oil isn't dripping, but the area near the vent is wet.
Is this something to be conserned about? What could be the problem, and is the engine near the end of it's path, or is it normal for duc's to do that?
its a $2.00 gasket that can be replaced under the breather valve.

DUCATI Oil Breather Crush Gasket

·
Registered
5 Posts
Enjoy that ST4! I have a Y2K model in giallo yellow. Superb bike. Should be an easy fix. If that's the only issue you should have a great bike at a super price.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yes the plastic breather housing was just crap. Unfortunately tightening the plastic thread against a new gasket is unlikely to fix it for long.

An alloy housing like those above is a must for earlier bikes to solve this leak.

Nip up one of these against a new gasket washer, with perhaps a light smear of sealant on the threads, and it will never leak again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts