Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
may be a solution for the stalling issue

the owner of the dealership that i purchased my 1098R from did some research and ended up with a 3 page check list from Ducati that addresses this stalling issue. the most interesting item is cam timing and/or replacement of one or both cams if their Identification numbers don't match with what's described in the check list. service will take a good tech the better part of a day to do. if you need cam replacements be prepared to leave the bike for a while.
not great news but apparently Ducati knows they have a problem.
cheers...........SPOKE

·
Registered
688 Posts
If it is still stalling try installing a new clutch line lol jk
or maybe seriously* could be your clutch master cylinder. :/
idk what else it could be. Have you also tried adjusting the idle speed higher?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks guys for the info! It's going to the dealer on Saturday and hopefully I can get the issued solved.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like you guys are having some bad luck. My bike has stalled once when there was about 2000 on the clock. It's now pushing 6000 miles and havent had n e issues really. Except when i wash it, it wont start up for like an hour or so with 16.0 error message being displayed. Some relay error, but dealer should take care of that.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the most interesting item is cam timing and/or replacement of one or both cams if their Identification numbers don't match with what's described in the check list.
That's the answer. Getting the cam timing set correctly makes hella difference how they run. Get it right and they'll run smoothly down low to the point that you can leave a stoplight at 1200 rpm. And they will have more mid range power. It's the cure that Ducati does not want to put up on a billboard as it's sooo labor inten$$$ive for them to eat. In the interim they toss the smoke and mirrors various band aids we have seen over the last two years.

Dial them in and it'll be a flawlessly diferent bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
stalling

New owner. Had VFR's (4) Aprilia, Beemers. Anyway, stalling
issue - cam timing makes sense, especially in the case of a high compression twin with mods. Touchy. My 1098 has stalled several times, and restarts so far. Interesting to note, though, the night before I picked it up, prev. owner could not get it started after storage. Said plugs were fouled (black). Cleaned them and got it started. Saw on another thread about rich mixture/fuel smells. Used to require 2-3 servo start cycles to fire - now I crack the throttle slightly and it fires and starts on the first cycle, even with OAT in the 30's. Seems to need a touch more air in the mix to be happy down low... 3,500 miles, full Termi/ECU.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's the answer. Getting the cam timing set correctly makes hella difference how they run. Get it right and they'll run smoothly down low to the point that you can leave a stoplight at 1200 rpm. And they will have more mid range power. It's the cure that Ducati does not want to put up on a billboard as it's sooo labor inten$$$ive for them to eat. In the interim they toss the smoke and mirrors various band aids we have seen over the last two years.

Dial them in and it'll be a flawlessly diferent bike.
What's with these Ducatis? Why don't the cams come degreed properly in the first place?;) Seriously, you're right. Having the cams degreed makes a huge difference in runability. I've owned a bunch of Ducs and either replaced the cams or had them properly degreed. Your also right that no salesman will ever tell you that this might be an issue. The wonderful thing about Ducatis is that one modification such as full exhaust, will then make it necessary to fix the fueling and so on. It's a good money maker though!:D

·
Registered
547 Posts
+ 1 on the cam degreeing, it made a night and day difference in the way the bike performs. And i thought it was fantastic before.

I thought my stalling days were over when i had the full system installed, but towards the end of last year it started stalling every once and a while.

all 4 cams were out of time, intakes were the worst, 8-9 degrees retarded.

Now it starts with 1-2 cranks (cold), pulls like a freight train, has a rock steady idle @ 1400 and it revs silky smooth.

so far no stalling.

If your still under warranty have the cams checked out, preferably when your having the 7500mi service. They might need to be degreed or replaced. its 9 hrs to degree the cams, you don't want to pay out of pocket for that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went thru this all thru 07 with my first 1098. My dealer really stepped up and went beyond my service expectations, but the problem was never one they were completely sure they had cured. I have an 08 1098S now and it's a different story, it has stalled a couple of times in it's 5000 mile life. - but only a couple of times and spaced out over months.

The cam timing was thought to be the culprit with my 1098, and as Dr.No pointed out, it aint cheap or fast to degree the cams. I've heard that the problem is - some cams came with the bolt/holes misaligned (cam sprocket or cam - not sure which).

Finding which one is out, and degreeing them correctly is a big job, and one DNA would rather avoid on warranty I would think!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another problem you may face is finding a mechanic who knows how to degree the cams correctly. They don't teach this at MMI. I had someone try to degree some 996 SPS cams in my s4 who didn't have a fricking clue at what he was doing. I went through 6 or 7 sets of plugs before taking the bike somewhere else. Just be sure and ask around for someone who has experience. With someone who knows what they are doing, the process should only take~ 4 hrs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another problem you may face is finding a mechanic who knows how to degree the cams correctly. They don't teach this at MMI.
FWIW they do teach it at Wyotech. That said there is a difference between being taught how to do it on one engine on a stand with the dial indicators mounted vs. doing it on any of the many different motorcycles Ducati makes and like anything practice is the key to doing it in a timely and efficient manner. Some shops hardly ever have a customer that wants their cam timing done and some do it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I had just picked up my bike from the dealership on a Saturday morning (weather cool) for the starter replacement. I left the dealer and during the ride home the bike stalled 3 times although it fired right up again thanks to the new starter! So I think I will just live with this problem or throw a Power Commander on with the ECU to fine tune the fuel mapping. You gotta love the Ducati!:banghead:

·
Registered
64 Posts
The weather finally got half way warm and most of the gravel off the roads so I thought I would ride the bike to work. The bike stalled 5 times through out the day just like everyone elses, pulling in the clutch and coasting to light or just dies as I am sitting at a light. Kinda tired of people looking at me thinking I'm stalling my bike and that I have no business being on one if I keep stalling it. Really pisses me off when I'm riding with my buddies (most of which have R1's) and this beautiful Italian machine wont stay running:mad:. Dealer has told me again and again to put the full Termi system on and that will do the trick, thats all well and good but if that is the only cure then maybe there should be some sort of discount or rebate, maybe this is something that we all need to really come together on if it is truly the only fix. Anyway, sorry for the long rant, just this really pisses me off.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Have the dealer do a compression test if this hasnt already been done.

Some had their entire cylinder/head assembly upgraded because of that.

Cam timing too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My bike has been stalling recently... and judging from past posts... it might have something to do with the recent increase in temperature around here.
Anyways... I was wondering if I bring the bike in for service, if this stalling issue could be fixed for free as it is ducati's problem, not mine. I'm not sure how warranty works on these bikes as I'm the second owner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My bike has been stalling recently... and judging from past posts... it might have something to do with the recent increase in temperature around here.
Anyways... I was wondering if I bring the bike in for service, if this stalling issue could be fixed for free as it is ducati's problem, not mine. I'm not sure how warranty works on these bikes as I'm the second owner.

You should have no problem getting the dealer to look at your bike under warranty especially if you have had previous accounts of it stalling documented; if they give you grief just get in touch with Ducati North America, they have been great with me as I am going through the process now. Here is their latest correspondence with me in regards to my stalling problem.

Dear Mr. Muirheid,
Thank you for the update.
Your ticket has been forwarded to me. Please let me know when you’ve scheduled an appointment with Ducati of Southern Colorado (or whichever Authorized Dealership is most convenient for you). At that time, I will notify the Regional Service Manager so that we can assist your dealership in diagnosing and resolving your concerns.

Best regards,

Cìntia
Technical Representative
Customer Service
Phone (408) 253-0499 Ext. 4431
E-Fax (408) 716-2696

DUCATI North America
10443 Bandley Dr.
Cupertino, CA 95014
www.ducatiusa.com[/FONT]

·
Registered
6 Posts
It runs good at speed but it stalled when I pulled in the clutch so it almost sounds like some sort of fuel setting problem. It was a warm day and I tend to think it's a minor issue.....but still annoying! I will have to take it back and have them look at the map settings. Thanks for the reply!
Brand new 1198 with 150km's and stalls with and w/o the clutch engaged. Occurs more often in/about city/traffic. Looks like it crosses over from the 1098 to the 1198 if that helps narrow down the issue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
if it makes you feel any better after I got the recall on my 848 it stalled twice on the way home(7mi), both times with the clutch pulled in coming up to light. Now about 300mi later and it hasn't done that, but has stalled twice sitting at a light in neutral, just shut itself off. BTW, never stalled once before the recall was done. I don't have an answer as of yet, I only have slip ons with the stock map. I agree that it is annoying, the dealer isn't much help; common sense says it is something they did since it never did it before. good luck
These are the exact conditions mine stalls under, except I can't tie it to VR recall but rather installation of half system & ECU. I just want a bike that runs right....

21 - 40 of 83 Posts