Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 40 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
hmm mine never stalled at all. It does seem to be the S models and/or the slip ons that are reporting this more often. All of theese have the different ECU correct? maybe thats the issue?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Stalling 1098

I picked my 1098 up yesterday (3/15/07) and it stalled 15 times before I got it home. I called the dealer and they called Ducati. The story I got was that the bike was running too lean. Ducati will be sending me a new ECU and in the mean time the dealer made it run a little richer. I haven't had any time to test it so I'll just hope for the best.

Trey

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Crap! Mine was delivered today. it's too freaking cold to start it up and we're not expecting warm weather for at least another week or two. First I couldn't sleep because it wasn't here yet, now I won't be able to sleep wondering if it's gonna stall...Ah, I'm not worried, it'll get fixed one way or another...

You know ever since reading about some of you removing the reflectors, I now know what you mean... To quote one of our buddies (forgot who you are), they're just plain fugly....

·
Registered
328 Posts
As you are looking at the bike from the right side, there are two brass screws on the throttle bodies. On the vertical cylinder the screw is left of the body and on the horizontal cylinder the screw is to the right. Try closing both screws. I read a post elsewhere by a Ducati tech reccomending this. It solved his problem. I will try it myself when the snow melts and I can ride again. Keep track of where the factory settings were in case you need to revert back to them.

CAG

·
Registered
144 Posts
Has anyone considered the gas which it was shipped with? Perhaps while sitting, it created a lacquer on the jets. This has been a problem with my F1 whivh has Delorto Carbs, nad no ECU. If the gas sits for any length of time I can tell, and yes its either clean it or adjust it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
328 Posts
DUCMILLE said:
What are the dealers saying, if anything?
As this is a new bike the dealers are also trying to sort it out. Some folks claim it is a set up issue as it is not universal to all bikes. It has appeared in all markets though. They are in touch with Ducati as well. The Ducati rep I emailed stated that Ducati is aware of the problem, diagnosing it, and will have a solution shortly. Stay tuned.

I don't think it is fuel related. I have had three tanks through mine, and although it is stalling less, it still does it. Could it have anything to do with a cold weather formulation of the fuel? Does anyone in the southern hemisphere or is there anyone here who owns the bike in an area where winter blends are not used?

CAG

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just got my 1098S...had stock exhaust...stalled 20 times in 4 miles of friday night downtown hub bub.....eventually the battery wussed out from all the restarts and I had to let it sit an hour befoe it would start again....seems to be high temps at idle that create the scenario for this.....

Dealer told me an ecu fix is comming but not here yet....so I got a full exhaust as it has a different ECU map....we'll see if it keeps happening....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Orlando1098S said:
Just got my 1098S...had stock exhaust...stalled 20 times in 4 miles of friday night downtown hub bub.....eventually the battery wussed out from all the restarts and I had to let it sit an hour befoe it would start again....seems to be high temps at idle that create the scenario for this.....

Dealer told me an ecu fix is comming but not here yet....so I got a full exhaust as it has a different ECU map....we'll see if it keeps happening....
with this in mind... do any of our full system termi, dedicated ecu users have any feedback on this subject?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello from Athens, Greece!!

I just want to share my experience with you guys, yesterday we went for a ride with my friends one of them on the 1098 S (2 days old).
The engine stalled twice (!) once while idling at traffic lights and once while on neutral
and rolling slowly towards the traffic lights..
When my friend pushed the start button the bike started up normally..
No weird sounds or misfiring, the engine stalled just like you turned the key off..
He went to Ducati Athens today to seek for additional info and I started looking in the internet for info and opinions..
So far, the reply we have from Ducati Athens is that the "issue" will be solved during the first service (when they plug the ECU) and adjust the air/fuel mixtures etc..

Will keep you advised of outcome...

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
tbeard said:
I picked my 1098 up yesterday (3/15/07) and it stalled 15 times before I got it home. I called the dealer and they called Ducati. The story I got was that the bike was running too lean. Ducati will be sending me a new ECU and in the mean time the dealer made it run a little richer. I haven't had any time to test it so I'll just hope for the best.

Trey
I finally got a chance to speak to my friend over the weekend that had a 749 and from the start had problems with it. What you are saying is exactly the same problem he had with his (749), stalling, fuel problems and a bad ECU.

Jason

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Orlando1098S said:

You couldn't have popped the clutch to start it?

Jason

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 1098S with slip-on Termis and idles @ 1,400 RPM. Went for a 50 mile ride yesterday morning (7 AM, air temperature 52 degrees and cloudy condition) and my bike did not stalled. I probably stopped 6 times waiting for the light to change and the RPM stayed constant 1,400 RPM. However, when I picked up my bike at the dealership (sunny 75 degrees) on previous day, it stalled once when I got home......

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So it's looking like any bikes with the stock ECU are having problems...I'm getting the full Termi tomorrow so I guess I won't have to worry about it anymore!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know that it has been proven 100% that the full termi ecu doesn't suffer the same ill fate.....the dealer hinted at this but that doesn't necessarily make it so...I'll be testing mine this week and on the weekend to see for sure....since my bike did it MAJORLY before it should be a good testbed....temps are a bit down today and it mostly happened to me in the over 200 degrees F range so I'll have to do a ton of stop and go to see what happens I guess.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had an 02 M620 that would stall on the rare occasion. It was a summer (heat) thing and would die at traffic lights. I could almost make it happen after a while by goosing the engine excessively on the downshifts and then catching it just so on the idle with the throttle.

I've also had a similar problem with a R1200GS (BMW). I attribute the BMW's problem to fuel and the winter mix we get here. Dropping to a lower octane helped and then again maybe it was a tad bit of water in the tank.

The BMW bothered me more because it would die when the bike was still moving whereas the Duc had problems adjusting to the idle. The M620 problem was easily solved though by a quick readjustement of the idle speed. An extra 200 rpm and the problem was solved. The bike never got down to the bog state, which the extra gas appears to have helped well bog. The BMW was not so easy to solve and never really has. Running 89 octane in the winter appears to help though.

21 - 40 of 297 Posts