Ducati.org forum banner

41 - 60 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Local dealer said they've already had two (of the 3 they've delivered) come back with stalling problems. Problem TBD.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My bike stalled on Monday and would not start. After I got it back to the dealer they said the timing belt was loose. This is my first bike so I don't really know if the dealer if jerking my chain. They are blaming Ducati. When the dealer gets the bike is this something they should check or is it common practice to assume that Ducati setup the bike correctly?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have not had a tall yet (knocking on wood, holding breath) since I had the Termi full system installed...

·
Registered
187 Posts
From what my dealer tells me the new exhaust systme will fix the stalling problem because the new ECU does not use the O2 sensor. They told me they they take it out and plug the hole when the new ECU goes in. I really hat the thought of dropping 3K to fix a problem the should never have happened.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since I got my full system it hasn't happened yet but I haven't gotten her over 200 degrees again yet either. I can still hear her gradually idling rougher and rougher though as she gets warm and sits in idle.....

I'm no mechanical genius can someone explain why the bike does this? Is it normal?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine did it again today and it wouldnt start. After I walked it to the gas station, and tried it again it started.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not mechanical guru, but my M620 would stall when it was hot (DC's summers in stop and go rush hour traffic). That was a function of a slow idle though. Other M's had the same issue and there was a lot of chatter when the 620 came out about stalling and idle speed. It was almost a universal fix by raising the idle speed (which is never that percise anyway hence the range the manual always gives you) ever so slightly.

With the ODB system if there was an o2 sensor failure or the like we'd see faults and there would be an easy fix (identification of the bad part.) There is not from what I can tell so the bike has to think it is operating within a normal range - hence back to idle speed.

My best guess - not having picked my bike up yet - is that the dile speed needs to be raised on some bikes. Which would mean people with stalling bikes turning to page 23 of the manual and raising it ever so slightly.

Can we get people to post their idel speeds - especially for those with problems? Have you tried raising it and have you found something that works?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine is still doing it and after I have to restart 2 or three time the battery is two weak to start the engine. I had to sit outside a Kmart for a few hours with a battery tender attached to the bike. What a way to enjoy a great Saturday afternoon. I was lucky to find an empty plug behind a soda machine. I don't know about the rest of you but this is really getting on my nerves. This is the second time the bike has not been able to start. It looks like I can only get two maybe three starts out of the battery before it is dead. How long/ many miles does it take to charge the battery after it starts the engine? I drove about 15 miles back to the house and just for fun I tried to start the bike again with no luck. Three hours on the charger and it worked. Tonight I'm going to keep restarting it to see how many time it will work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
RE Battery life - this is not a Ducati issue. My BMW R1200GS has the same problem. It is an issue in the winter when the cold may make two attempts at a start necessary. Warm weather helps, but does not solve the issue.

The batteries on the new bikes (not just ducatis) are small to save weight. They are not designed for multiple cranks and assume you'll hit speeds where they can recharge. Driving around town is not what they need. The elctrical draw is to high on most new bikes. You need speed - i.e. highway use - to get the charging. While I feel your pain - and have this past January - I don't feel that the battery is the issue. A battery sized to allow the 1098 to live in stop and go traffic is not what anyone really wants in a performance bike.

After you kill a battery you really need to recondition it. It is not going to hold a charge well otherwise. I had to buy a battery charger-reconditioner and a trickle charger for my BMW. It is a pain, but worth it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
jrfuisz said:
I'm not mechanical guru, but my M620 would stall when it was hot (DC's summers in stop and go rush hour traffic). That was a function of a slow idle though. Other M's had the same issue and there was a lot of chatter when the 620 came out about stalling and idle speed. It was almost a universal fix by raising the idle speed (which is never that percise anyway hence the range the manual always gives you) ever so slightly.

With the ODB system if there was an o2 sensor failure or the like we'd see faults and there would be an easy fix (identification of the bad part.) There is not from what I can tell so the bike has to think it is operating within a normal range - hence back to idle speed.

My best guess - not having picked my bike up yet - is that the dile speed needs to be raised on some bikes. Which would mean people with stalling bikes turning to page 23 of the manual and raising it ever so slightly.

Can we get people to post their idel speeds - especially for those with problems? Have you tried raising it and have you found something that works?

I'll have to check this out, I did see where you could see the idle rpm but didnt find in the manual how to adjust it. I'll go home and grab it to see if I can find it. Whats wierd is that its always when I am at a stop, not coming to a stop or down shifting to a stop, but actually at a stand still. Yesterday was a bit more concerning because the bike wouldnt start. I'll take note of the idle speed at temp then adjust it up a bit till I get it to stop dying.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with the battery comments of JRFUISZ.
I'm assuming that everyone that's having these problems is putting the bike on a Tender everynite, and that some have already replaced the OEM battery.

I've never had a Duc before, but with all my Rice Rockets the first thing to toss is the battery and replace with a nice gel battery.

I'm going to my dealer today to chat and check out how much longer I have til delivery, and will try to talk to shop guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So far so good. Got her up to 215 degrees today and stopped at 4 or 5 lights at that temp....no stalls. I'm idling at around 1200 rpm (one bar past 1K). I can hear the idle devolving but it isn't stalling after the full system. I may increase idle by 100-200 rpm just to be on the safe side.

Has anyone with full termi system experienced stalling?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess you are right about the reconditioning. I had it on the tender all night and it wont start today. Do you know of any place that sells a battery that will keep the thing running in stop and go traffic?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Could be a started issue as well if it does not crank over with fully charged battery. Some one here have this issue.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, I'm running into the same problem but where I'm riding its already 75F during the day and when I'm coming to a stop and holding in the clutch sometimes the bike dies on me and I don't know why. I'm just happy it doesnt do that when I'm turning or when down shifting.

Does it go away with a Full Exhaust? or do I have to have the dealer adjust the idle a little higher? its confusing! And I'm afraid that when it dies on me that it may not start!

41 - 60 of 297 Posts