Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 2014 monster 1200s 3 months ago and I haven't been able to ride it much lately. So I went out today to ride for a little while but it took like 6-8 tries to get it started. Why would it take so many attempts or am I doing something wrong? The battery isn't low and it was in neutral.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi BW,
Had mine for about 6 months now and no starting issues ever. ???
I did have a few stalling issues which seem to have been corrected by a programming refresh. Never a starting issue though. Bring it to the dealership and ask WTF!
Any issue like that they will not charge you for.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi BW,

Any issue like that they will not charge you for.

Unless the charcoal canister is full of fuel causing a hard/no starting issue, scrap that piece o crap charcoal canister and try starting again.. also call the dealer and see if there are any updates to the ecu or anything that may help this hard/no start

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine had starting issues the first 2 times I rode it. It was completely cooled down after each ride. I think it was because the battery was about dead when I got it. After the first 60 minute ride it has been starting like a champ.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have heard of this model suffering the odd problem related to their handlebar switches. Something to do with the sequence you have to go through before start-up.

Might be worth mentioning this when you take it to where you bought it for a warranty repair, in case they haven't struck it yet.

Not saying this is your problem - could be any number of things of course - but they need to approach it with an open mind. But there has been more than one of these affected here, and replacing the switches has been the fix.

And get a time-line from them. A warranty repair like this should be a high priority when you have paid for a new machine.

I hope they effect a satisfactory repair quickly and you can get back on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 1200R. The battery is good but if not used for about a month it seems the fuel is not getting through or similar, as seems to need fuel pumped through the fuel injection system first before it will get going. I do not know the mechanical issues relating to this, as I am not that wised up with mechanical aptitude!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here are some of the common reasons why you are having a starting problem with your bike:

1. Weak/Dead battery, make sure to replace it is necessary.
  2. No fuel can also contribute to starting a problem in any type of car.
  3. Clogged fuel tank vent as there should be a blockage.
  4. Blocking intake or exhaust will lead to a failure start.
  5. Loose spark plug wire will result in a misfire on engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts