Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. New to the forum but not to Ducati (on my fourth) nor to riding (40+ years).

My issue: 2009 1198, starts and runs great (even with 29,000 kms). It has a new voltage regulator.

Usually it starts without issue and, like I mentioned, runs great.

But last week, I rode it to the grocery store, was in and out in about 5 minutes, and when I came back it wouldn't start. The instrument panel lit up, lights and horn all fine, but it won't turn over. After trying intermittently to crank it over 2 hours, it started. No problems for 10 days and then ... it won't start again.

I realise it cannot be a fuse, so it must be a short either in the kill switch or else the electrical harness.

So my question is, where on the bike should I start looking - I am a rider, not a mechanic, and taking it in to the dealer will cost a minimum of $500 - so if it's something simple (and I mean REALLY simple), I should at least try to save some money and do it myself.

Grateful for any assistance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

An update:
The fuses are good. The battery is a little low. Now, everything lights up, horn works, lights and turn signals ok ... hit the start button and nothing - but the lights go out ... eventually they come back on, but if you hit the start button again they go out again. Note: this happens whether the run
switch is set to run or kill ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.