Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The stock unit is fine. The stock steering damper is not adjustable but provides a fair amount of damping that is suitable for MOST road and track applications.

A favorite choice (and supplied on some models) is the Ohlins steering damper that has an adjustment knob to select 16 different damping positions. The recommended setting is the midpoint 6-8 clicks from full soft. Full hard is 18 clicks clockwise from full soft.

As you increase steering damping you gain increased control over steering oscillations that are set up by uneven road surfaces and even side wind gusts. As the side-to-side speed of the steering increases, so does the damping effect. This results in a smooth easy-handling ride at low speeds combined with heavier dampening during extreme situations The trade-off between handling feel and steering stability is a personal choice.

By its very nature a steering damper will spoil your bike’s steering from a little — to a lot — so more damping is not necessarily better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked up an Ohlins one after experiencing a few tank slappers on the street and i cant wait to try it.
Is it my set up or my riding style? But i dont get meany shakes on the street and even with a race Duc at 18 degrees of rake I don't get but one or two wit my fault of a bad set up. the only legit shakes are the ones from hitting a wrinkle in the road in a dogleg or a small crest of a hill (sometimes), at 60+mph. The only thing I get is a gentle speed wobble on exits that can be cured with some forward pressure on the bars. And my 998 is at normal everyday everyone numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts