Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the 999 I bought recently cannot be locked with the key and turning the front wheel as it will not engage. My immobilizer was eliminated but I don't see how that could effect the fork lock.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The lock assembly is a little pin that sticks out and if memory serves me correctly, it pushes up blocking the stock triple clamp from moving. If the upper clamp is aftermarket, it may not function in the same way. Otherwise, the little pin may simply be broken. Just look to see if it pokes out when you put the key into the lock position.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I found out that you can lock the steering with the wheel turned in either direction. Kind of strange and don't know why you would lock the steering opposite of the kickstand, but it can be done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked. Yes, I see the pin coming out and doing nothing. My bike was the one with the silly GPR stabilizer on it which I had removed and a stock unit put on. Something must have been removed when the GPR was installed?

Should I consider just a wheel lock to discourage theft and increase my peace of mind (I leave the bike in my office) should someone break in and try to wheel the bike out?

I have an alarm that calls my cell phone and tells me which sensor went off. That gives me ten minutes to fly into the building and see what the hell is going on.......usually nothing.... a false alarm!! But in the event someone is trying to roll my bike out and load it up, I might just catch them. With the fork lock or any other lock that would throw a curve ball at them and give me more time.

What actually is the best way to secure the bike with some kind of wheel lock?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't think a wheel lock would actually deter a potential thief. Most thefts are done in a matter of seconds and a couple of guys lift the bike and throw it in the back of a van. Wheel and steering locks will be removed later. RFID chip or some sort of tracking software is the only thing I would consider but thieves know about those as well and unless they are really well hidden they will take those off too. I do none of the above as that's what I have insurance for.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Since the bike won't start without the Ducati key, nobody is going to sit on the bike and ride away with it. So a lock isn't going to prevent/hinder anyone from stealing the bike. Most bikes are stolen by simply lifting them in the air and throwing them in the back of a truck. It only takes 20 seconds or so and makes little to no noise.

But at an office park where people are around? It's never going to happen. Worst part is, if you chain the bike down to the ground somehow, thief's will strip it and you'll wind up with whatever part is chained remaining and the rest missing… I've seen that before.

GPS locator is awesome, but who really want's a theft recovery anyway? It will be most likely pretty damaged. Imagine if you get it back and a few weeks later the engine blows up, leaving you a huge bill. That's not covered under insurance, if the bike is damaged internally, there isn't anything you can do. So most people just insure their vehicles and when they're stolen, get the money and buy another one. It's not some rare bike or something, there are LOTS of 999's around.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well put. The would be thief that I would deter would most likely take off as soon as the alarm went off. The drug addict wants something they can get rid of immediately, so they would not even consider robbing a bike to do that. I agree, the insurance is the best protection against a pro thief who knows what he's doing. And then they would not be looking at a 10 year old bike, no matter what condition it's in!

I have comprehensive which covers theft/fire/deer damage, which is all I need.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Couple reasons why the lock might not be engaging.
1) As jusutus noted its missing the bracket (8)
2) Its an aftermarket top clamp that does not support the bracket.
3) The rake is set to steep and the anti lock pin will never reach the stop.

If its 3 and a street bike then you need to really decide if that make sense for you and if other components are present to support that setting. I wouldn't recommend steep rake for the street

As others noted, if someone wants your bike a simple stupid steering lock ain't gunna stop'em.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts