Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto part Technology Vehicle Engine
Just want to share the latest mod for my 1198s. I think this is the most useful mod ever.

Parts you need:
1) RAM Aluminum Short Length Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball Bases: RAM-B-201U-A
2) RAM Universal X-Grip® Cell/iPhone Holder with 1" Ball: RAM-HOL-UN7BU
3) RAM 1" Diameter Ball with 1/4"-20 Stud for Cameras, Video & Camcorders: RAP-B-366
3) 1/4"-20 x 1.5"L threaded stud
4) washer and nut.

Procedure:
1) Remove top triple.
2) Remove steering stem nut
3) drill a 3/8" hole in the top center of stem nut (I used dremel)
4) replace the stude on the 1" ball for cameras with 1.5" threaded stud.
5) drop the the ball into the 3/8" hole you just made and washer/nut it.
6) Reassemble everything and you are done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think there'll be any structural issue. There's a center gap about 2mm on the nut already, all I did it drill a slightly bigger hole, adding to that I have a base and the nut/washer to give it more rigidity. I've been riding with it couple hundred miles now with no issue. One alternative is to buy the stem nut with a ball mounted already from MotoReva, but it will cost $75 plus all the other parts you need to complete the assembly. My mod only cost me total of $40 vs. $110 if you go the other route.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had just done this same mod over the winter. Very easy to diy and cheaper than the other alternatives out there.

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
Unfortunately, my Scott's steering damper sits over the steering stem nut. But I have used a Ram Mount on my left handlebar to mount a video camera...it'd probably see much more use for the camera mount! Great find...I have to order one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts