Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride an 01 st4 with 34,000km's my clutch is original and stock, this winter I am going to re-build it, if I use barnett plates and basket will all the other stock parts work or any better ideas out there, thanks Sam.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
These should all work together. There have been changes to the dry clutch over the years - primarily going from steel to aluminium for the basket and friction plates - and some subtler changes to the hub, but the configuration of the plates fitting has remained the same.
In fact the pattern of the plates is the same as the old wet clutches of the '90s.
So long as you have matching material for the basket and the friction plates you should be fine - ie. alloy on alloy. Don't mix steel and alloy parts for these.
I have had good success from the German MPL basket - occasionally come up on Ebay - and the (also German) Motorize friction plates, which are quite cheap, and also sold via Ebay.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Speaking of baskets, Mark Sutton installed a Barnet aluminum basket in my 848 slipper clutch, the edges of the engagement fins have a stainless steel insert to keep the edge wear to a minimum. it is very light and works flawlessly. BUT, it is the LOUDEST slipper I have ever heard!!!!

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Keep a close eye on these baskets with a reinforced edge. They have a tendency to come loose.
MPL used to do one with Ti edges, but they dropped it (after I'd already ordered one!) - probably because they found the edge parts coming loose.
They usually rely on very small rivets or screws to retain them, which can hammer loose over time.
A great idea, but needs close monitoring. They used to add such an edge to reclaim worn baskets here, but they don't offer that anymore either.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
You are correct in your "red flag". I check them after every race weekend, as well as the plates, and "stack height".... so far so good. (been there for 3 years)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stock parts

so from what you are telling me, the stock springs and pressure plate will work with a barnett basket and plates?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts