Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after I ride, my clothes smell very strongly of exhaust/fuel. It seems that the harder I ride, the stronger the smell on my clothes (had someone today tell me that I smelled like fuel, she said I usually smell like exhaust when I ride the bike, but today was very bad and I smelled like unburnt fuel). Is this normal for an 848?

'13 Corse with Termi slips, DP ECU and a K&N filter...but it was doing this while I was still 100% stock too. If it matters or helps diagnose, I'm getting about 95 miles to 3.5 gal of fuel (when my fuel light comes on) and am at roughly 600 ft above sea level...Am I just running rich or is something else going on?

I don't mind the smell so much because it reminds me of riding her, but others seem to think it's overpowering so I figured I would see if this is just a Duc thing.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh...glad I'm not the only one I guess. I don't recall the same issue on any of my previous bikes, but they were all Japanese IL4's.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Dosent happen to me....

If it bothers you, go to a place with an exhaust sniffer....have them tell you if it's too rich...

·
Registered
135 Posts
He probably is running rich. That DP ecu is dumping more fuel than the stock. Also with slip ons, he has no cats so nothing to burn off the extra.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Same here, especially after i had my ECU flashed. These bikes run a bit too lean from the factory and now with the fuel map I have it runs more on the rich side. Sounds normal to me...you just have to go faster to get rid of the smell ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
...you just have to go faster to get rid of the smell ;)
I like your way of thinking!

...But that's the thing, the faster and harder I ride, the worse the smell.

If I just tool around town, riding the speed limit and being a good little boy, the smell is almost not noticable...HOWEVER, when I am bad (VERY BAD??), and find places that I can really let her stretch out or turn a 40 min drive into a 20 min drive...that's when its at its worst (and to be honest, Im a bit surprised, because like you were joking about, I kind of thought with that much wind, it would be going behind me, not up into my jacket).

Guess I'll start looking for a shop in the area that has a Dyno and will work on Duc's.

...Maybe I'll take my spare ECU to the MotoGP race and see if I can find a shop around Austin that can flash it for me while I wait.

Or i can just tell everyone that, like the dry clutch rattle..."Yes its supposed to be like that, its a Ducati"

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like your way of thinking!

...But that's the thing, the faster and harder I ride, the worse the smell.

If I just tool around town, riding the speed limit and being a good little boy, the smell is almost not noticable...HOWEVER, when I am bad (VERY BAD??), and find places that I can really let her stretch out or turn a 40 min drive into a 20 min drive...that's when its at its worst (and to be honest, Im a bit surprised, because like you were joking about, I kind of thought with that much wind, it would be going behind me, not up into my jacket).

Guess I'll start looking for a shop in the area that has a Dyno and will work on Duc's.

...Maybe I'll take my spare ECU to the MotoGP race and see if I can find a shop around Austin that can flash it for me while I wait.

Or i can just tell everyone that, like the dry clutch rattle..."Yes its supposed to be like that, its a Ducati"
It's most likely not going to help much. You don't have cats in your slipons to burn off the excess unburnt fuel vapors. That's where the majority of it is coming from. The reason why you notice it more when you get into it is because you're heavier in the throttle for longer periods of time, which equals more fuel, than just being around town where you're not using much of the throttle.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Umm, I use to beat the living shit out of my 848 with a custom tune and full exhaust, it would still give me 120 miles before the yellow light went on, every single time without fail. I also never once smelled fuel, in fact if anything, the engine smelled more lean then rich. Take your finger, stick it in your silencer, wipe the edges with it and see what comes out. If it's black soot, then you're running way rich. Check the plugs and see what they look like and remember they shouldn't be black.

Honestly if I were to hazard a guess, you have a small leak somewhere in your fueling system. Perhaps one of the o rings on the fuel tank has failed and it's dripping small quantities of fuel directly onto the vertical cylinder head. This is actually a common problem and it's easy to forget checking those fuel fitting o rings when re-assembling.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
BTW slightly rich is better for many reasons, one of which his cooling… something these bikes always have problems with already. So that's something to think about with the DP ECU.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts