Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the issue. I was riding home after leaveing the dealer on Saturday from getting some suspension help and I got the trans stuck in first gear. i noticed that before it actually got stuck, when I would down shift from second into first that the shift lever still ratched down (as if there was a gear below first). It did this a couple of times before finally just sticking in first. It eventually became free and I was able to up shift again. So, my question is; does this sound like a simple linkage adjustment or possibly internal? The bike is just a few miles over 600, so I'll be taking it in for the 600 this week and of course I'll mention this problem. Has any one experienced this ...possibly on a different bike?

Oh, one thing you guys may want to pay attention to. When I was at the dealer, they noticed that the steering head was loose. You could feel it when braking. Just fyi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine just jammed in 4th I think. It was shifting and running fine, then I tried to downshift for a stoplight and the shifter wouldn't go down. Had to slip the hell out of the clutch to get away from the light, thankfully it happened close to work. It will upshift about two gears, and downshift back down to the same place it gets stuck. Picked it up last Wednsday- it didn't even make it a week:(

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dibs said:
mine was just a quick adjustment...no more problems.
What was the adjustment?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hope mine is the same - I'd like to think these things could last longer than 150 miles. Do you know what was adjusted? I checked everything I could see without taking anything apart, everything looked OK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What was the fix? Mine got stuck in 3rd gear after only 50 miles! With pushing and pulling on the lever (while driving) it pops back into place. I just have to down shift very gently from 4th to 3rd.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the fix is the deter spring. it can pop off or break, common if i you lay the bike down on the left side. but can happen even if you dont. take the bike in right away even if you pop it back in gear im waiting on parts for the gear box now. i got it back in gear and it was fine again for another week it did it again and after the second time gear box was screwed.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Other than a flase N here and there, no problems with the trans for me.

Jason

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
:violin:Well, I got to 167 miles and the shift/bike is locked in third gear. Living on an outer island in Hawaii makes this a big deal for me. It will have to go on a barge to return it to the dealer for servicing.. This takes days for delivery. I'm going to try for a refund under "lemon" laws. Good bye 1098S.
At least my R1 is dependable.

Yikes...

Well please let us know how you make out with that one.

Jason

·
Registered
175 Posts
:violin:Well, I got to 167 miles and the shift/bike is locked in third gear. Living on an outer island in Hawaii makes this a big deal for me. It will have to go on a barge to return it to the dealer for servicing.. This takes days for delivery. I'm going to try for a refund under "lemon" laws. Good bye 1098S.
At least my R1 is dependable.
This happened to me on my ST-4s five hundred miles from home. I turned out to be a mis-aligned shifter drum. You don't have to split the cases on that model to get at it, but you will lose a quart, or so, of oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was shipped back and quickly fixed with in an in stock part, the deter spring. 3500 miles later, I'm very happy with the bike. The only problem, Ducati road side service never paid for the towing like they said they would.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I'm having this issue.

At the end of my previous ride it started feeling real tight, then today it eventually wouldnt even change gears out of 1st. I had to ride it home from work & to the dealer in 1st gear.

I just put on rearsets about 2 weeks ago so i was worried it was something i did, but i don't think so, cause they were smooth as butter until now. I should hear from my dealer tomorrow, hopefully just a spring & they have it in stock. I will give an update.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I'm having this issue.

At the end of my previous ride it started feeling real tight, then today it eventually wouldnt even change gears out of 1st. I had to ride it home from work & to the dealer in 1st gear.

I just put on rearsets about 2 weeks ago so i was worried it was something i did, but i don't think so, cause they were smooth as butter until now. I should hear from my dealer tomorrow, hopefully just a spring & they have it in stock. I will give an update.

So - picked up my bike today. I was told the shift linkage was binding up. I pressed them a bit and asked if it looked like the rearsets were not installed correctly. They said i don't know who put them on but they were not installed properly. I strongly feel that I installed them properly and any problem is just a coincidence, but i just left it alone, after all they are the experts & I'm certainly not.

But then i ride home and everything is soo smooth. I could shift clutchless like you should be able to. Previously I was having problems and missing shifts, even created a thread about it, and thought it was just how the bike is. Even with the stock rearsets i was having the problem shifting clutchless. Now its butter, i mena real butter this time, last time was margarine. So I don't know whether to be happy or mad. Something wasnt right, or wasnt as dialed in as it could have been when i got the bike. So I payed for the labor & was told I didnt install the rearsets properly, but after riding it now i know for a fact something was not right from the get.

So I'm happy as hell my bike is shifting great now, but in a way I feel like I payed them to fix something that should have been right to begin with.

Think i should say something to them?

They are good people and I'm probably lucky to have them near me & don't want to get into a spat over something small, but at the same time I'm a little annoyed.

But wtf - if the stock rearsets were on they wouldnt have charged me anything, they couldnt have. So just cause i touched the bike i have to pay. They probally spend 3 hours labor and charged me 1.5 cause they could.

·
Registered
2 Posts
can anyone tell me what is the problem with the 1098 getting stuck in gear?Mine got stuck in gear today while downshifting,at least it happened pulling in my driveway after a long ride

·
Registered
816 Posts
Dunno, but I just got towed home courtesy of DNA thanks to a "stuck like cement" shifter with the transmission rattling back and forth between 1st and 2nd. Off to GP Motorcycles in the morning to see what's gonna happen.

Hopefully they'll be all well and good and not pissy about coming back to work after a long weekend. I'd sure like to get back on and ride it out of there rather than hear something along the lines of "Well, this EVR slave cylinder may have cause the clutch to not work properly so we'll have to check it out. May not be covered under warranty."

I doubt I'll catch any flak, but I am prepared to be pissed off if necessary.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
here is what the mechanic told me after my stuck-between-gears-at-700miles-issue was fixed, and i think being stuck in gear is probably the same. there is a small stopper plate (part of the shift mechanism - look it up in the workshop manual) that guides the movement of the shift arm, which comes loose and allows the shift arm to move past the a point of no return. sometimes it will cause a small return spring to break in the process but not always.

why this happens is a mystery to me. all i can say is that the problem was easily fixed and did not cost me anything. (ducati knows about this issue). i have had no problems since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts